Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Friday Night Lights not recording problem?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:44 AM

Thanks Steve, no it is not networked. I would have to buy that wireless router that is recommended, and I cannot really afford it at this point in time.

Corporate brick and mortar T-Mobile stores have Linksys wireless routers available for $19.99. You don't have to be a T-Mobile customer to buy one. These are excellent routers. I would call ahead to make sure they have one in stock. The WRT54G is the best one. They regularly sell for around $55.

Specifications:
Model WRT54G-TM
Standards IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b
Channels 11 Channels (US, Canada)
Ports/Buttons
Internet: One 10/100 RJ-45 Port
LAN: Four 10/100 RJ-45 Switched Ports
One Power Port
One Reset Button
One Get Security Key
Cabling Type UTP CAT 5
LEDs Power, WLAN, LAN (1, 2, 3, 4), Internet
RF Power Output 18 dBm
UPnP able/cert Able
Security Features Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) Firewall, Internet Policy
Wireless Security Wi-Fi Protected Access™ (WPA), Wi-Fi Protected Access™ 2 (WPA2), WEP, Wireless MAC Filtering

Model WRTU54G-TM
Standards IEEE 802.3, IEEE 802.3u, IEEE 802.11g, IEEE 802.11b
Channels 11 Channels (US, Canada)
Ports/Buttons:
Internet: One 10/100 RJ-45 Port
LAN: Four 10/100 RJ-45 Switched Ports
One Power Port
Two RJ-11 Phone Ports
One Reset Button
One Get Security Key
Cabling Type Ethernet Network Cable, Standard Phone Cable
LEDs Power, LAN (1-4), WLAN, Phone1-2, Internet, Pairing
RF Power Output 18 dBm
UPnP able/cert Able
Security Features Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) Firewall, Internet Policy
Wireless Security Wi-Fi Protected Access™ (WPA), WEP, Wireless MAC Filtering
Wi-Fi Protected Access™2 (WPA2)
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 04 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

Bob,

Thanks very much for your advise. I have my home wirelessly networked with the router provided by Qwest. In addition, I have 2 extra routers that I don't use. One is a lynksys BEFW11S4 and the other is a D-Link DWL-650.

I was under the impression that in order for everything to work correctly, DTV and DBSTalk recommend a certain router (forgot the name at this moment). If the router I am using or either of the 2 unused ones would work, I would love to network my R22. If any of you could advise me on this, it would be most appreciated!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#43 OFFLINE   Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 10:34 PM

Bob,

Thanks very much for your advise. I have my home wirelessly networked with the router provided by Qwest. In addition, I have 2 extra routers that I don't use. One is a lynksys BEFW11S4 and the other is a D-Link DWL-650.

I was under the impression that in order for everything to work correctly, DTV and DBSTalk recommend a certain router (forgot the name at this moment). If the router I am using or either of the 2 unused ones would work, I would love to network my R22. If any of you could advise me on this, it would be most appreciated!

Any router should work fine. You can find tons of network questions answered in the On Demand section. If you're totally wireless then you'll need a dongle (wireless adapter) for the receiver. Or, if your router is in the same room as the receiver you could go wired for that connection and wouldn't need anything else.

http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=137 There are several threads that should be helpful or you can post your specific networking questions there.
Sony 34" HD-CRT KD34XBR970 and Sceptre 40" LCD
Roku
R22 DVR / HR20-700 HD DVR
DirecTV since 1999
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

#44 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:29 PM

Thanks Bob and Steve, for the great advise.

Bob, I have downloaded the PDF version of the DTV networking directions and plan to read them tonight and see what I can do.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#45 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,189 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 09:36 PM

Thanks Bob and Steve, for the great advise.

Bob, I have downloaded the PDF version of the DTV networking directions and plan to read them tonight and see what I can do.

Assume you're going termporirly hardwired? If so, just plug the cable into your HR and your router and then go to the System Setup, Network and "Connect now". That should do it. "On Demand" should show up shortly under the Menu. If it doesn't appear after a minute or two, turn the receiver off and on. If it still doesn't appear, then reboot. You probably won't have to, tho.

/steve
/steve

#46 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:20 PM

Steve, I ordered the kit fromt DTV - the one that plugs into your outlets and uses your home's electrical system. I did not have any extra ethernet cable so I will have to pick some up. I also was not sure if the 2 extra routers I have sitting around (sans cable) will work as bridges. And I was not sure about the "flashing" with firmware, etc. All in all, I thought I was in over my head with older stuff.

I will pick up the cable and hardwire it and then use the plug-ins when they arrive from DTV.

Thanks again (very much) for all your help!!!!

My Setup

#47 OFFLINE   johnheffernan

johnheffernan

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

I had the same problem missing 2 episodes and we missed this week's too. It shows up as all grey and asks if you want to delete it immediately. What a pain. It is our favorite show!

spam firewall