Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM8 legacy port signal issue with D11-100 SD Box

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GlennJ84

GlennJ84

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:14 AM

I recently installed a SWM8 multiswitch. I do zero diplexing. I have 2 hr21's and 2 D11-100's. I connected the D11's to the legacy outputs of the multiswitch and used the SWM outputs for the HRs. PI is connected into SWM1 on the switch. All of my boxes are functioning correctly except for this one D11-100. It keeps getting pixelation. I checked the signal levels for 101deg and they are all in the 90's - 100. However when I go to check individual transponders it shows full signal level . IE 92% for transponder 1, then it goes to zero, then back to 91 or 92 then back to zero. It is doing this constantly. A reset of the box doesn't fix the issue.

I am assuming it is either an issue with the box itself, (I thought the D11 series boxes rarely had issues) or a bad legacy output on the SWM8 or lastly a cable that has gone bad.

Has anyone else had this issue?

My next step in resolving the issue will be to take the other D11box and bring it into the same room with the other d11. To see if it is the box or the SWM8. Then Switch the Legacy 1 cable to the legacy 3 port on the SWM. And lastly, which sucks the most, replace the RG6 run. :confused:
G. Johnson
"If I were an animal, I'd probably be a duck."
2) Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR4
1) Sony STR-DG810 Receiver
1) PS3
1)R22 Connected to Tube Samsung HDTV
1) D11 Receiver SD RCA TV
1)Motorola SB5100 Time Warner Cable
1)D-Link DGL-5400
1)Apple 500GB Time Capsule
2)D-Link GB 5 Port Switch
1)AT&T 3G Microcell
2)iPhone 3G

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:17 AM

The first thing I would do is swap the connections on the legacy ports at the SWM8 to see if the problem follows the receiver or the port. If it follows the port (i.e. now the other receiver has the problem), then it very will could be a defective SWM8. If it follows the receiver, then it's either the receiver itself or cabling. At that point, you'd want to swap receivers to see if it follows the IRD or cable and then you'll know. My money is on a cabling issue. make sure you check all your fittings for clean insulation around the center conductor - i.e. no stray braiding from the shielding is in there.

#3 OFFLINE   GlennJ84

GlennJ84

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:06 AM

I always check my cable ends. There are no shorts in my system. Anywho it turned out to be the box. When I switched them out the second d11 worked just fine. Plugged the 'bad' one back in and it worked fine again. My guess is it just needed to be 'reset / power cycled'. We will see if the symptoms return.

Thanks for the input.
G. Johnson
"If I were an animal, I'd probably be a duck."
2) Sony Bravia KDL-40XBR4
1) Sony STR-DG810 Receiver
1) PS3
1)R22 Connected to Tube Samsung HDTV
1) D11 Receiver SD RCA TV
1)Motorola SB5100 Time Warner Cable
1)D-Link DGL-5400
1)Apple 500GB Time Capsule
2)D-Link GB 5 Port Switch
1)AT&T 3G Microcell
2)iPhone 3G

#4 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:34 PM

Well, dang - I'd have lost money on that bet! But I'm glad you got it working. :)

#5 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:01 PM

Ya didn't try my personal fav. Get a RBH* and just show that sucker to the box that isn't doing the job!

Joe

*RBH = real big hammer

Protected By... spam firewall...And...