Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Ind. locals/ Must-Carry Rule

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JimDaddy

JimDaddy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

I recently switched to DTV from Dish. I am not getting the "Must Carry" independant channels I was getting from Dish. Has the rule been repealed? I called Tech Support and they did not know what I am talking about. This is Nashville DMA - channels 11 and 66.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:55 PM

If those stations actually requested "must carry" to DirecTV by whatever deadline date there was for them and they aren't a low power station then they would be on. There are many stations that didn't request must carry back in the day and wanted to be paid. In that case the provider (DirecTV) can negotiate a contract or tell them to go pound sand. There were also many that didn't file the proper paperwork by the deadline. Also if they are just lower power stations then there is no must carry rule for them, DirecTV/Dish can choose not to carry them if they wish. In my market there are a couple low power stations, DirecTV carries one of them because they have local sports. But Dish does not and their reason is that it's a lower power station and they don't have to carry it and don't want to waste their bandwidth on it.

Calling DirecTV isn't going to get you anywhere, the CSR you talk to isn't going to know anything. Although you can log a request for the channels.

My suggestion is to contact the 2 stations in question and ask why they aren't on DirecTV (and you probably won't get the total honest answer from them either, they all like to blame each other) and put in your request that they get on DirecTV. Another option is to find your local thread on AVS (see the links in my sig) and ask the question there. Most likely someone knows the real answer there.

#3 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:07 PM

I recently switched to DTV from Dish. I am not getting the "Must Carry" independant channels I was getting from Dish. Has the rule been repealed? I called Tech Support and they did not know what I am talking about. This is Nashville DMA - channels 11 and 66.

must carry goes out the window if the station asks for even 1 cent to be carried
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#4 OFFLINE   ansky

ansky

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:46 PM

Several years ago Directv dropped WMBC-63 from the NYC locals for likely one of the reasons mentioned above. They are "must carry" and are on every other TV provider in the NYC area, except Directv. There is no worthwhile programming on that channel anyway so it's not much of a loss.

#5 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:01 AM

Both stations could theoretically qualify for must-carry. (11 is low-power class A and 66 is full power.) However, both transmit from outside Nashville so there's a chance DirecTV has decided their signals are too weak at their Nashville point-of-presence. In that case the stations could be required to pay for an alternate means of delivering the signal to the POP. There is also a chance the stations did not ask for must-carry status during the "election" period.

#6 OFFLINE   JimDaddy

JimDaddy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:51 AM

Thanks Jon. I may call the stations to see what they tell me. I realized an error in my original message as I read your reply. Channels 66 and 11 are actually the same station. I believe Dish uses 66. The other channel I was getting from Dish was 39. It is rare that there is something on these stations I care about but hate to see DTV get away with anything. Why do you think the channels would apply with Dish and not DTV.

I'm missing my DishNet for other reasons also. -Jim

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

but hate to see DTV get away with anything.

DirecTV isn't "getting away" with anything. They would be sued if they tried by the local stations involved.

Why do you think the channels would apply with Dish and not DTV.

You probably can't find threads from 6-10 years ago when all this stuff was happening but there were several cases around the country where channels didn't apply the correct paperwork in time to one or more providers and thus aren't carried.

Or as someone pointed out above, the signal may be too weak at the DirecTV POP but the Dish POP happens to be closer and thus it's quality is good enough.

There are *many* other reasons why channels aren't on DirecTV while they are on Dish or the other way around. Nobody is getting away with anything and you also can't assume every station is must carry. Our local NBC didn't have their HD signal on DirecTV until just a few months ago (we've had our HD locals for a couple years) because they were demanding a ton of money (owned by LIN) and DirecTV told them to pound sand. That went on for years until LIN finally came to an agreement with DirecTV. So it had nothing to do with must carry and everything to do with money and contracts.

#8 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:16 PM

This may not involve "must carry" but is DirecTV carrying ANY of the "digital subchannels" now being offered by local stations or is an AM21 tuner required?

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#9 OFFLINE   Jon Ellis

Jon Ellis

Godfather

• Registered
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:05 AM

DirecTV does carry the My Network TV digital subchannel in Madison...perhaps it was part of a retransmission consent deal with the primary station, which is a CBS affiliate. But generally they probably wouldn't be interested in carrying a subchannel unless it was a big-4 network affiliate.

On the original topic, I looked at the map for channel 39 in the Nashville market and it also transmits from east of town like channel 66 (though not the same site), so reception at the POP could be the issue there, as well.

spam firewall