Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need a round dish by Sunday!

installation

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phran

phran

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

Anyone in the Baltimore area have an extra old-style round dish that you don't need anymore?

Unfortunately, my dish was damaged after tailgating a few Raven's games ago by a friend who accidentally broke the arm off the bracket.

The LNB wasn't damaged, so I don't necessarily need one of those.

If you're local to me and have one you'd like to sell, let me know where you are and how much you want for it.

Thanks
Phran

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:08 PM

Why not fix it with some self taping screws.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#3 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:20 PM

Why not fix it with some self taping screws.

That will work........bend it back where it was........probably those cheap welds broke at the end of the arm............screws, wire DUCT TAPE.......While tuning you may have to bend it but it will work. I have a pile of them and you are welcome to one but I am on the eastern shore and don't get over there much.

I have had to band aid dishes that were run over by corn pickers and deer. You can do it.

Joe

#4 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

That will work........

Everything DBS can be fixed with self tapping screws: slimline monopoles, worldirect arms, missing or misaligned LNB arm screws, missing AZ/EL head bolts, worldirect dishes on j-pipes and satC pipes .. all been there.

#5 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:24 PM

Solid Signal will probably deliver one to you on Saturday if you order it now. $50 including shipping. I ordered one for my daughter in Philly on Thursday 12/4 and it was delivered Saturday 12/6.

Go Skins!! :)

#6 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:25 PM

DBS magic:

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   clb4g9

clb4g9

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

You could always try Craigslist....lots of people have old round or oval 3-lnb dishes sitting around the house for people who have upgraded to the slimline. I searched Baltimore and came up with some results:

http://baltimore.cra...s?query=directv

Hopefully that helps.....

#8 OFFLINE   phran

phran

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Joe Diamond, you were right, the cheap welds at the end of the arm broke. (How do those welds hold up in 60 mph winds anyhow?)

I was going to try some self tapping screws, but since the bracket bent a little where the cheap welds failed, I wasn't sure that I could get the LNB back to exactly the same location as before. I figured that if I was even a quarter inch off, I wouldn't get a signal.

But you guys have inspired me, I'm gonna be a dish repairman after I get the christmas lights up Saturday.

Thanks again!
phran

#9 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:40 PM

It's just a basic dish. Things can be off a lot before signal will be affected..

#10 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:36 PM

Do you have any homes in foreclosure in your area?
Do you have a ladder?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#11 OFFLINE   myvet

myvet

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

Besides - you don't want to go to the Ravens game Sunday, they play the Steelers and by the 4th Quarter both teams will be down to the waterboys as the rest of the teams will be in the Emergency Room getting treated. I hope you have a large ambulance service for that game.

#12 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:02 PM

DBS magic:

Posted Image

It's funny 'cause it's TRUE!

#13 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

Do you have any homes in foreclosure in your area?
Do you have a ladder?

There is no place near The Ravens stadium in Baltimore I would go uninvited.

Junkies shoot!..........They filmed The Wire within a block of the place for a reason.

Joe

#14 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Joe Diamond, you were right, the cheap welds at the end of the arm broke. (How do those welds hold up in 60 mph winds anyhow?)

I was going to try some self tapping screws, but since the bracket bent a little where the cheap welds failed, I wasn't sure that I could get the LNB back to exactly the same location as before. I figured that if I was even a quarter inch off, I wouldn't get a signal.

But you guys have inspired me, I'm gonna be a dish repairman after I get the christmas lights up Saturday.

Thanks again!
phran

You may have to bend it some. Very rarely one would come from the factory that way....quick tie & duct tape! I started carrying a spare after the first one. Self tapping screws do work well for that. So do the little green ground screws that come with the mast. Kids climb on them and the two front welds break and the arm hangs by the two back ones.....pooosh it back & screw it!

I was once nominated for sainthood because a kid hit the dish with a lawn
tractor & mowed it a little. His father made him go out and bend it when they lost signal............I gave them a replacement I has just taken down N/C.
I had supper with them...the kid gave me a beer for the road......it was raining and, for the first time in awhile, he was inside watching the evening news

Joe

#15 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:45 PM

Besides - you don't want to go to the Ravens game Sunday, they play the Steelers and by the 4th Quarter both teams will be down to the waterboys as the rest of the teams will be in the Emergency Room getting treated. I hope you have a large ambulance service for that game.

You are not kiddn!

We were watching a game at the Moose last week and one of those tackles ran off the field and, because it was HD and all, they hit the inside of the set and broke through! There were little spectators running around in the bottle rack and some plastic got sprayed into a pitcher that was being filled.

We don't even try to watch NASCAR events in HD. Those cars are running over two hundred miles an hour. If one of them ever hit the inside of the set it would blast into the next room.

That HD is strong stuff!

Joe

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: installation

Protected By... spam firewall...And...