Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PBS in HD in Los Angeles?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jwaian

jwaian

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

Can anyone confirm reception of LA local PBS channel KCET (Channel 28) in HD? I know that it was announced but we do not see it in the guide. We only get the SD version: "LA28". DirecTV technical support gives conflicting information as to whether it is available or "coming soon". I would like to take down the OTA equipment since this is the last channel we are waiting for.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

Can anyone confirm reception of LA local PBS channel KCET (Channel 28) in HD? I know that it was announced but we do not see it in the guide. We only get the SD version: "LA28". DirecTV technical support gives conflicting information as to whether it is available or "coming soon". I would like to take down the OTA equipment since this is the last channel we are waiting for.

Yes. We get KCET in HD through Direct

LA locals in HD through Direct are:

2 KCBS (CBS) HD
4 KNBC (NBC) HD
5 KTLA (CW) HD
7 KABC (ABC) HD
9 KCAL (IND) HD
11 KTTV (FOX) HD
13 KCOP (MNT) HD
28 KCET (PBS) HD

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

Here's a screen cap from my TV in the Los Angeles market. You can see that 28 is labeled KCET (meaning it's HD) and is blue (meaning it's from satellite.)

http://www.dbstalk.c...99&d=1229020554

Attached Thumbnails

• KCET.png

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   Visman

Visman

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:53 PM

Did you up date your channel list. That is what I had to do when my PBS station went HD.

#5 OFFLINE   jwaian

jwaian

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:54 PM

Thank you very much for the replies. We are still showing only "LA28" (no "KCET") and it is in SD. I have reset the receiver several times (with the access card both in and out) and updated the satellite settings several times but no HD version was added. I have been on the phone with the tech people at DirecTV for so much time on this and still no solution. We do get channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 in HD so I really do not understand the problem with channel 28. I wonder if it has to do with receiver type (we have an HR21) or zip code? We are in the LA DMA but we are out in the desert so maybe we are lower on the priority list for "rolling out" the HD version of PBS?

#6 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:57 PM

Thank you very much for the replies. We are still showing only "LA28" (no "KCET") and it is in SD. I have reset the receiver several times (with the access card both in and out) and updated the satellite settings several times but no HD version was added. I have been on the phone with the tech people at DirecTV for so much time on this and still no solution. We do get channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, and 13 in HD so I really do not understand the problem with channel 28. I wonder if it has to do with receiver type (we have an HR21) or zip code? We are in the LA DMA but we are out in the desert so maybe we are lower on the priority list for "rolling out" the HD version of PBS?

It is in the same spot beam so it shouldn't be a problem. I get the locals in Mammoth when I take my receiver up there, and that is over 300 miles away.

Are you looking at "All Channels" in your guide or are you on "Favorites"? If you are on "Favorites" make sure you add the HD channel to the list so it does show up.

#7 OFFLINE   jwaian

jwaian

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

I have it set on "All Channels". I am really starting to think that someone at DirecTV forgot to enter our zip code for the update! They have blacked out sports programs for us by mistake in the past.

#8 OFFLINE   socal404

socal404

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

Here's a screen cap from my TV in the Los Angeles market. You can see that 28 is labeled KCET (meaning it's HD) and is blue (meaning it's from satellite.)

http://www.dbstalk.c...99&d=1229020554

How are you getting the sub channels for KCET? I don't see them on my guide.
Sharp Aquos 46" TV
Directv HR24-200 family room w/HDMI cable
Directv R22-100 bedroom

Directv R22-100 office
Directv H25 living room w/HDMI cable
Whole Home Setup

#9 OFFLINE   VeniceDre

VeniceDre

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

How are you getting the sub channels for KCET? I don't see them on my guide.

The sub channels you see in his guide are from OTA connected to his system.

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:23 PM

That's right, there is an AM21 tuner attached to my DVR.

#11 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

Yep...If the channel labels are black, then they are received OTA (through an antenna and tuner hooked up to the receiver). I have a HR20 so my OTA tuner is built into my receiver.

#12 OFFLINE   jwaian

jwaian

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

I just thought of this: Could it be that since there are several PBS stations in our local LA DMA package (I think that there are 3 other PBS channels in addition to KCET), we would only receive the HD version of the one closest to our address? In other words, would DirecTV not give you KCET in HD if another PBS station included in the local package is closer to you? That would really be bad news since I do not think that the other PBS stations are available in HD on DirecTV (yet).

#13 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

Press the yellow button on your remote and make sure you are not looking at a customer channel set that doesn't include the new HD channel.

I would think that if you are truly in the LA DMA that you would be able to have access to this channel regardless of where in the DMA you are located.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#14 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,654 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:22 AM

I just thought of this: Could it be that since there are several PBS stations in our local LA DMA package (I think that there are 3 other PBS channels in addition to KCET), we would only receive the HD version of the one closest to our address? In other words, would DirecTV not give you KCET in HD if another PBS station included in the local package is closer to you? That would really be bad news since I do not think that the other PBS stations are available in HD on DirecTV (yet).

If you dont mind me asking, what zip code, or city do you live in? Your idea is very doubtful, unless you live way out there, but hey, you never know for sure... Have you asked Directv if you should receive it according to their system? Do you know anyone else in your neighborhood who is has Directv HD? Id ask them if they are getting it...

Thsi still sounds like a favorites channel issue.. I would set the unit to show sd duplicates, and all channels.. and see what is there. Then i would go in and switch it to hide sd duplicates, and see if its in the guide..

#15 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:08 AM

Answering this for myself, no that's not the case. The closest PBS to me would be KVCR, broadcasting from Moreno Valley, CA. I get that, as well as KCET Los Angeles and KOCE Huntington Beach.

#16 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:25 AM

I live in apple valley in the high desert and i receive the same 3 pbs stations as stuart sweet including the HD version of pbs chhannel 28,so i think you should receive it as well if you are in the L.A. DMA!

#17 OFFLINE   jwaian

jwaian

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the help. Our service address is in Trona, CA in San Bernardino County. I confirmed with DirecTV that they have the correct address and Zip Code in their system. I do know some people with Dish Network who live nearby but not DirecTV, so I cannot check. When I called yesterday and told them that others in the LA DMA were receiving KCET in HD, the DirecTV tech confirmed that we should be receiving it too and she put our receiver through every possible test and setting change and still no KCET HD. She even de-activated the receiver and all programming and re-activated it again but there was no change. She confirmed that our receiver has the most recent software version. At this point she "escalated" the problem to their IT department. Since I am getting a strong signal on all sats and my receiver is receiving all other HD programming (including the other locals in HD), it seems that this may be a data stream issue which is causing our receiver to not receive the upgraded guide with the HD version of KCET. I am guessing that it is some combination of our receiver number, our access card number, and our zip code that will need to be sorted out by the IT people at DirecTV and corrected in the data stream. Does this sound plausible? Has anybody had experience with this "escalation" process at DirecTV? The tech told me it could take up to a month and they will not contact me or let me know the status!

#18 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,654 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:11 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the help. Our service address is in Trona, CA in San Bernardino County. I confirmed with DirecTV that they have the correct address and Zip Code in their system. I do know some people with Dish Network who live nearby but not DirecTV, so I cannot check. When I called yesterday and told them that others in the LA DMA were receiving KCET in HD, the DirecTV tech confirmed that we should be receiving it too and she put our receiver through every possible test and setting change and still no KCET HD. She even de-activated the receiver and all programming and re-activated it again but there was no change. She confirmed that our receiver has the most recent software version. At this point she "escalated" the problem to their IT department. Since I am getting a strong signal on all sats and my receiver is receiving all other HD programming (including the other locals in HD), it seems that this may be a data stream issue which is causing our receiver to not receive the upgraded guide with the HD version of KCET. I am guessing that it is some combination of our receiver number, our access card number, and our zip code that will need to be sorted out by the IT people at DirecTV and corrected in the data stream. Does this sound plausible? Has anybody had experience with this "escalation" process at DirecTV? The tech told me it could take up to a month and they will not contact me or let me know the status!

Ok, I'm born and raised in southern cal, but i had to look you up. You are out there a ways. didn't even realize that was LA DMA.. You almost look closer to Veags... Bakersfield I wonder if they didn't input zip codes for your area...

What happens if you type in 28 and hit enter? Curious if it will tune to an hd or sd channel. It should tune to an hd one, if your box thinks it exsists...

And, are than any stores or bars in your area that have directv? Maybe see if they are getting the channel....

#19 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:16 PM

Ok, I'm born and raised in southern cal, but i had to look you up. You are out there a ways. didn't even realize that was LA DMA.. You almost look closer to Veags... Bakersfield I wonder if they didn't input zip codes for your area...

What happens if you type in 28 and hit enter? Curious if it will tune to an hd or sd channel. It should tune to an hd one, if your box thinks it exsists...

And, are than any stores or bars in your area that have directv? Maybe see if they are getting the channel....

His zip code, 93546, shows KCET as being available in HD.

#20 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

Thanks everyone for all of the help. Our service address is in Trona, CA in San Bernardino County. I confirmed with DirecTV that they have the correct address and Zip Code in their system. snip !

I am in Barstow and get KCET-DT via DirecTV. However, there is NO LA28 (the old SD channel). There is only KCET on 28. I have attached a screen capture showing this. What does your receiver edit channels menu show?

Attached Thumbnails

• CHan-28.jpg

spam firewall