Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PBS in HD in Los Angeles?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:25 PM

Only zip I was referring to is the one you posted which is for Mammoth Lakes.

The OP posted he is from Trona, CA.

You are correct. I did not mean to post that zip, I meant to post 93562, which is Trona's zip.

According to Direct's website, the zip code 93562 (Trona, CA) should be getting KCET in HD.

http://www.directv.c...equestid=409515

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

On a related note, does anyone know if D* intends to add the other Los Angeles PBS stations in HD anytime soon. Of the four PBS stations I get through them, KCET is by far the worst! I'm worried that they'll consider KCET HD enough for us. They don't even air This Old House!! What kind of PBS station is this?! Shameful...

And their pledge weeks are actually pledge months which occur every other month.

#43 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,101 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:50 PM

...and no Lawrence Welk either! Pity.

What, you didn't Tivo it when it was on live on ABC 40 years ago (or earlier on KTLA)? How about Spade Cooley?

#44 OFFLINE   Ashtonian

Ashtonian

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:05 AM

Yes it does!
In the edit favorites there should be 2 LA28's the first is HD the second is what was there before.

#45 OFFLINE   JJaret

JJaret

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

For some reason KCET channel 28 from D* locals is coming in at 1080i on my system. If I tune to 28-1 OTA, it comes in at 720p. Anyone else showing the same problem; 720p is correct per KCET's website. My box is set to Native On.

#46 OFFLINE   w6fxj

w6fxj

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:11 PM

For some reason KCET channel 28 from D* locals is coming in at 1080i on my system. If I tune to 28-1 OTA, it comes in at 720p. Anyone else showing the same problem; 720p is correct per KCET's website. My box is set to Native On.

It is the same on my HR20-700 here in Barstow. When I set Native On, it switches to 1080i. Apparently DirecTV is converting it to 1080i. However, not to worry, KCET does not have many sports events, on which 720p does a better job of smoothing out fast movement.

#47 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,307 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:17 PM

I see the same anomaly, but it's not really a problem. On my 40-inch set I can't notice any difference in picture quality.

Channel 2 and 2-1 are both 1080i; Channel 11 and 11-1 are both 720p, as expected.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

Protected By... spam firewall...And...