Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM LNB with Splitter Install

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   vikecowboy

vikecowboy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

I bought a SWM LNB on Ebay and it came with a 8 way splitter. I am pretty sure I know how to hook this up but I want to make sure. I have been trying to find a wiring diagram for doing this but have had no luck. I also cannot watch any you tube videos at work so the ones at solid signal do me no good at the moment.

I assume that I hook the RED output of the Power Inverter to the Power Pass input of the splitter and then connect the RED Power Pass output of the splitter to the SWM LNB?? I then run the outputs of the splitter to my receivers and also the other output of the power inverter to my receivers (Tuner 1 SWM port)?

I am sorry if this has been discussed before but I appreciate any thoughts on this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

I bought a SWM LNB on Ebay and it came with a 8 way splitter. I am pretty sure I know how to hook this up but I want to make sure. I have been trying to find a wiring diagram for doing this but have had no luck. I also cannot watch any you tube videos at work so the ones at solid signal do me no good at the moment.

I assume that I hook the RED output of the Power Inverter to the Power Pass input of the splitter and then connect the RED Power Pass output of the splitter to the SWM LNB?? I then run the outputs of the splitter to my receivers and also the other output of the power inverter to my receivers (Tuner 1 SWM port)?

I am sorry if this has been discussed before but I appreciate any thoughts on this.

LNB goes to the INPUT.
PI goes on the OUTPUT
other than these, you seem to have it correct.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

that is one way to do it

the other is from the swm lnb to the PI and then to the splitter
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#4 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

that is one way to do it

you missed the backward connected splitter though.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:17 PM

How I do it most of the time. Prevents confusion where to send the voltage.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#6 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:35 PM

Good info here:

SWM Training Guide

(Thanks to VOS for this link) :)

#7 OFFLINE   vikecowboy

vikecowboy

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:32 PM

Thanks a ton guys - hopefully I will not smoke anything - seems to be a piece of cake.

#8 OFFLINE   jostarr

jostarr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:43 AM

Good info here:

SWM Training Guide

(Thanks to VOS for this link) :)

The link is inactive. Can anyone help with a diagram for using an 8-way splitter with a SWM8 ??

#9 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:50 AM

The link is inactive. Can anyone help with a diagram for using an 8-way splitter with a SWM8 ??

The link still works [just checked it].
What is your question about an 8-way splitter and a SWM8?
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   jostarr

jostarr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:15 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. The link does seem to be working today...thanks.

I had a swm8 switch hooked up and working, but it got hit by lightning last year, so I went back to using my old 8 port Zinwell switch. I just bought a new swm8 off eBay and it came with one 8-way green splitter. I was looking for a diagram so as to be 100% sure and avoid any problems.

I think I know about OTA, Legacy Ports, BBC's etc. I wanted a diagram to show and where the PS Unit connects to the swm8, and how and where the 8way splitter connects to the swm8. Perhaps it should be obvious, but I just wanted a diagram to be sure.

Is a diagram available?

I have seen diagrams for other combinations, bit none doer an 8way splintery

#11 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. The link does seem to be working today...thanks.

I had a swm8 switch hooked up and working, but it got hit by lightning last year, so I went back to using my old 8 port Zinwell switch. I just bought a new swm8 off eBay and it came with one 8-way green splitter. I was looking for a diagram so as to be 100% sure and avoid any problems.

I think I know about OTA, Legacy Ports, BBC's etc. I wanted a diagram to show and where the PS Unit connects to the swm8, and how and where the 8way splitter connects to the swm8. Perhaps it should be obvious, but I just wanted a diagram to be sure.

Is a diagram available?

I have seen diagrams for other combinations, bit none doer an 8way splintery

To power the SWM8, you have two options:
the SWiM #1 output
the #3 legacy port
Connecting a splitter is fairly simple, so you can follow most of the other diagrams, [like the SWiMLNB] and connect it to the SWiM #1 output.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   jostarr

jostarr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 106 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

That's pretty much what I planned to do, thanks for your help.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...