Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Dark Knight Sells 600K on First Day Sales

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,419 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:02 PM

Wow, this is awesome. BluRay sales on this movie are making a huge statement to those folks thinking niche market. I think they should reconsider...eh? :)

More here: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2184
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,043 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

Wow, this is awesome. BluRay sales on this movie are making a huge statement to those folks thinking niche market. I think they should reconsider...eh? :)

More here: http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2161

I'm not surprised whatsoever.

This is the 4th Blu Ray this year which started out with 1st day sales over 300,000...and this is now the biggest to date. They expect a Million to be sold within a week.

So much for "dead" technology...:D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#3 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,911 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:31 PM

I believe that The Matrix was the killer title for 1999 for DVD. Now, it's the Dark Knight for 2008.

Funny how both of those were Warner titles.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#4 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:35 PM

Actually this shouldn't be much of a surprise...

There are no other choices for HD and there will be a substantial number of either Blu-ray players or PS3's under the tree this holiday and what would be the obvious choice for a first title. Many HDTV's are being sold with a Blu Ray player thrown in. Every new release for Blu_Ray is an eagerly awaited event and this is an obvious winner...

They also sold 2.4 million normal DVD's the first day.

I'm not surprised whatsoever.

This is the 4th Blu Ray this year which started out with 1st day sales over 300,000...and this is now the biggest to date. They expect a Million to be sold within a week.

So much for "dead" technology...:D

Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

Disclosure: I have a Samsung combo player so all is good with me.

Truth be told, the real story will be in how many copies are sold by this time next year. Dark Knight should be a big seller on day 1 and during week 1... but IF this is the whole deal, and everyone who buys it has already bought it... then the sales on this title will not continue to pile on and this impressive 1st day/week will mean nothing a year from now.

Sustained sales is what Blu rays (and what HD DVD needed) to continue to grow.

I've lost track of how many Blu ray players (either with or without counting PS3) are in customers' hands now... but while 600,000 sounds like a big number it is a very small number compared to millions of people who have Blu ray players... and this is a blockbuster "gotta buy" movie... so if it doesn't get to 20/30/40% penetration of current Blu ray player owners, then what movie will in the near future?

I bought it on day 1. Lots of other folks pre-ordered. Some folks are even buying multiple copies to get the different cases/toys/whatevers from different stores.

I would like Blu ray to succeed. I'm just not super-encouraged unless and until I see more than 1st day/week blips in the sales radar.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:12 PM

the first DVD i purchased to go along with my $600 Sony DVD player back in the day was "Batman" starring Michael Keaton; I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $30-$40 for that movie. That was probably 1998. I was 16 and spent an entire paycheck for that damned thing. It was awesome though. ;)

Even though that was 10 years ago, that Sony remains the best DVD player I ever purchased; too bad it doesn't have component or HDMI. It had ZERO loading time and a wicked frame scroll wheel.

#7 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,490 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

Blip or Watershed

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#8 ONLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,419 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:02 PM

I haven't bought it, yet! But if it is as good as they say, I will get the Smiddellette to buy it for me. He's good with momma and asking for things, when we don't really need it.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#9 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,043 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

I haven't bought it, yet! But if it is as good as they say, I will get the Smiddellette to buy it for me. He's good with momma and asking for things, when we don't really need it.

Despite my general policy not to exceed $17 on any BD movie....I picked up this afternoon at Best Buy (Blu Ray, of course) on a price match of $22.86 (local Walrmart price).

To my pleasant surprise, it played beautifully on both my nice Panny BD player, as well as my recent Magnavox cheap BD player.

The imagery and sound are incredible.

#10 ONLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,419 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:13 PM

Ah, there ya go...you're making me drool!
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#11 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,043 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:20 PM

Ah, there ya go...you're making me drool!

Not a pretty sight... :lol:

But yes...you'll like this in Blu Ray....a keeper.

#12 ONLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,419 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

Thanks! Where's my Smiddellette when I need him. I'll be back...
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#13 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,490 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:15 AM

Got it from WarnerBrothers site for about $18. Haven't watched it yet.

Is anyone that's watched it bothered by the transition from 2.35:1 to 1.85:1 during the movie?

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#14 ONLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,419 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 03:48 AM

You can change aspect ratios during the movie?
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#15 OFFLINE   Brandon428

Brandon428

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:01 AM

You can change aspect ratios during the movie?

No,I don't think so. It changes between 2.40:1 to 1.78:1 automatically(you can't choose just 1 AR). I kind of like how it does that. The sound and picture is stunning.A great addition to any Blu-ray collection!

#16 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:40 AM

No,I don't think so. It changes between 2.40:1 to 1.78:1 automatically(you can't choose just 1 AR). I kind of like how it does that. The sound and picture is stunning.A great addition to any Blu-ray collection!

It did the same thing in the theater, correct? My understanding is that the portions that are shot in IMAX were puposely left in their OAR instead of converting them to the non-IMAX shots.

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,043 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:58 AM

It did the same thing in the theater, correct? My understanding is that the portions that are shot in IMAX were puposely left in their OAR instead of converting them to the non-IMAX shots.

YUP....it was done intentionally for "effect".

#18 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 623 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:40 AM

Does anybody know if these are direct retail numbers or does it include thing like BB and Netflix buying loads of units.
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,043 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

Does anybody know if these are direct retail numbers or does it include thing like BB and Netflix buying loads of units.

The 600,000 number is what was shipped and dols by retailers, including online, retail stores, and others. Only those units sold are counted and reported back. As for rental companies' inventories...I'm sure those are counted, as they have to be prepaid.

Remember...this is the Blu Ray only number, and the rental folks (Block-- and Net--- don't get THAT many copies in Blu Ray.....not compared to the standard format anyway.

#20 OFFLINE   Pink Fairy

Pink Fairy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:13 PM

Zomg I must have this. ~nods at self and makes a mental note to hint at it for a anniversary gift~
There are two kinds of Strength: the strength to lead, and the strength to follow; the strength to control, and the strength to yield. There are two kinds of Power: The power to strip another's soul bare, and the power to stand naked.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...