Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The Dark Knight Sells 600K on First Day Sales

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   mystic7

mystic7

Icon

• Banned User
  • 632 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:03 PM

Got it from WarnerBrothers site for about $18. Haven't watched it yet.

Is anyone that's watched it bothered by the transition from 2.35:1 to 1.85:1 during the movie?

Yes! If only for the fact that when it fills the screen the PQ seems much better. I know it's not, I'm talking perception here. And no, I'm not one of those guys who wants DVD's to fill the screen regardless of the original aspect ratio, but I do wish more filmmakers would shoot in 16:9 (or 1.78:1 or whatever it is).

Many of the 2.35:1 scenes wouldn't have looked any worse or had any less impact if the top and bottom weren't cropped. Anyway, yeah, count me in, although the actual transitions weren't bothersome or obvious.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,424 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 19 December 2008 - 08:26 PM

Guys, I have a Zune, so can it be put on that? One PC is ok with me, so long as I can transfer it to my Zune.

I don't know anything about the Zune smiddy,but here's the link to their homepage.

http://www.zune.net/en-US/

Steve

#43 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:16 PM

I believe that the OP was referencing the one that does already come in the package.

A joy to watch on the plane this past Monday... :)

not sure i understand the difference.

the DVD came w/ a digital copy on another disc in the package.

i thought that was a blu-ray only feature.

another thing on the AR;

the dvd does not change AR's for the imax scenes, but you can watch them in the special features section (odd).

the digital copy does change to full screen for the imax scenes.

#44 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:50 PM

not sure i understand the difference.

the DVD came w/ a digital copy on another disc in the package.

i thought that was a blu-ray only feature.

another thing on the AR;

the dvd does not change AR's for the imax scenes, but you can watch them in the special features section (odd).

the digital copy does change to full screen for the imax scenes.

The digital copy does come with the "standard" Blu ray version...however another poster (not you) implied that is was a separate item you would have to buy....just to clarify...3 disks come in the one package - the movie, one extras disk, and the digital copy disk.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#45 OFFLINE   rotohead

rotohead

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 27 December 2008 - 05:55 PM

Watched DK last nite and was puzzled by the multiple switches in aspect ratio throughout the movie (from OAR the majority of the time to 16x9 occasionally). Did a search on this issue and found nothing.
Can someone explain this? Do I have a pirate copy? I doubt that. Even novice HD viewers in my house noticed this display issue. Not particularly annoying but curious none the less.

#46 OFFLINE   D*HR-20

D*HR-20

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:37 PM

Watched DK last nite and was puzzled by the multiple switches in aspect ratio throughout the movie (from OAR the majority of the time to 16x9 occasionally). Did a search on this issue and found nothing.
Can someone explain this? Do I have a pirate copy? I doubt that. Even novice HD viewers in my house noticed this display issue. Not particularly annoying but curious none the less.

It's because the movie was shot partially in IMAX and they are showing you the full IMAX picture on the scenes shot in IMAX and the 2.35:1 ratio for the parts shot on regular film. If you saw the movie in a regular movie theater, the IMAX scenes were cut to be the same ratio as the rest of the movie.

#47 OFFLINE   rotohead

rotohead

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:48 PM

It's because the movie was shot partially in IMAX and they are showing you the full IMAX picture on the scenes shot in IMAX and the 2.35:1 ratio for the parts shot on regular film. If you saw the movie in a regular movie theater, the IMAX scenes were cut to be the same ratio as the rest of the movie.

That's great info...thanks...I can make my friends think I'm a true geek of HD. Funny how those scenes were choosen for IMAX and HD. I learn more from this site every day. That is the first movie I've ever noticed that issue. Other than that item...it is one of the best DVD's I have ever purchased. PQ and sound were outstanding not to mention the storyline. I immediately purchased the Batman movie that preceeded it so I can understand DK better (even though I'm not a big Batman/Spiderman/Superman fan). Thanks again. Happy New Year to all.

#48 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:44 PM

People over on AVSForum were discussing this for a while before the movie released for the home market. Also, if you look at the back of the box where it lists the aspect ratio it lists two different ones with a notation that it changes.

As already posted, the idea was to use the IMAX footage in closer to its aspect rather than cropping to 2.35:1 like was done in the theaters.

I really didn't find the changes distracting, though they were noticable, and the extra detail was welcomed for those shots.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#49 OFFLINE   rotohead

rotohead

Legend

• Registered
  • 223 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:15 PM

I really didn't find the changes distracting, though they were noticable, and the extra detail was welcomed for those shots.

As I stated first off, I didn't find this issue particularly 'distracting' I just wanted to get educated as to the technical issue. I'll have to re-watch the movie with an eye toward which parts were choosen for IMAX and regular HD. I'm curious as to that difference. Is there some 'cost saving' element? I don't really get why that would be done that way. I'm no expert on HD/BR/IMAX movies but it strikes me as something that is akin to a compromise. Am I wrong? Still I hold that BR disc as one of the best purchases I've made. Iron Man, Black Snake Moan, Transformers and Planet Earth are all superb DVD's in my collection. I just hope my eye's and ears don't fail me before my heart does. HD products are beyond my wildest dreams.
Chuck

#50 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:07 AM

As I stated first off, I didn't find this issue particularly 'distracting' I just wanted to get educated as to the technical issue.

That's why I figured I'd also point you over to AVSForum where a lot of discussion was had recently there. I didn't read through the entire threads, but enough to get the gyst of things.

I'll have to re-watch the movie with an eye toward which parts were choosen for IMAX and regular HD. I'm curious as to that difference. Is there some 'cost saving' element? I don't really get why that would be done that way. I'm no expert on HD/BR/IMAX movies but it strikes me as something that is akin to a compromise. Am I wrong?

Maybe an IMAX expert will jump in... but there are also a few tidbits in the Blu ray extras talking about the making of the film and decision to use IMAX cameras for some scenes.

IMAX film stock is larger than 35 or 70 mm film stock, so greater resolution can be had on the film. This is usually done for showing in those IMAX theaters with the super-large screens. I've never actually been to an IMAX theater so I can't say if the extra expense of shooting in IMAX format is worth it... but it definately isn't done to save money since the film costs quite a bit more, as do the cameras.

In traditional theaters, the Dark Knight had its IMAX scenes cropped to the 2.35:1 ratio that the rest of the film was framed as... so you could make the argument that people lost detail there and are now getting it back with the Blu ray release.

The IMAX scenes were pretty sharp, which is about as technical as I really went into watching the movie. I was initially afraid the changes might be distracting, which is why I made the point of posting that I didn't find them to be distracting at all... and with the extra detail, it was kind of nice.

Still I hold that BR disc as one of the best purchases I've made. Iron Man, Black Snake Moan, Transformers and Planet Earth are all superb DVD's in my collection. I just hope my eye's and ears don't fail me before my heart does. HD products are beyond my wildest dreams.
Chuck

Iron Man and Transformers (particularly Transformers) were very nice indeed. I also liked Black Snake Moan, I just don't remember if the video quality was up there with these or not but it was sharp and clean.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#51 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

Dark Knight continues to be the #1 selling BD disk at Amazon again this past week....sales now over 2.75 million to date in Blu Ray alone....somebody's having a good Christmas all the way to the Bank....:D

I didn't mind forking over my $19.86 for my BD copy at all.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...