Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help me help a friend

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dinotheo

dinotheo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

Hi all,

I am trying to help out a friend with his setup and I am feeling pretty guilty at the moment since I convinced him to go to DTV from Comcast about 4 months ago and now he has not had service since Sunday (we had some very high winds on Sunday). For some reason he didn't call me till just now. He is a nice guy and probably didn't want to appear to bother me so he must be really frustrated.

Background:
I haven't been to his house to help troubleshoot. I believe he has an SWMline dish. I had him check where his switch should be and he has a power inverter which feeds a splitter. Unless the tech installed an SWM8 outside I am guessing he has an SWMline dish. He said the coax feeding the SWM PI is coming from outside. He called DTV on Sunday. A tech came out on Tuesday and told him that he had the wrong LNB and proceeded to swap it out. (He gave him some mumbo jumbo about the LNB he had was for international...what a crock) My guess is that he swapped out the SWM LNB for a regular slimline LNB and proceeded to re-aim his dish. After that, stuff worked sporadically. He called DTV again. New tech comes today and says he has the wrong LNB and swaps out the LNB. He now has slightly better service but he is getting 771 errors. It is raining pretty heavily here. He also tried calling customer support and they insist he needs BBC's. I had to explain to him that they don't know what they are talking about.

So he calls me and I have him check his signal strengths with both tuners so that we are sure that he has the SWM LNB (Signals are probably lower than on a clear day because of the heavy rains right now).

101 - 80's across the board
110 - 0's
119 - 60's
99© - 40's
101© - 60's

He received signals on both tuners so I am guessing that he now has the right equipment and needs to be re-aligned.

I am surmising that on Sunday the wind moved his dish. First tech re-aims dish (poorly) and incorrectly swaps out the lnb. Second tech replaces the lnb with an SWMline. ( I am guessing here but since he gets signal on both tuners I believe it is the correct lnb)
Does my guess sound correct? Also, what should he do? Each installer left a card. Not sure if he should call one of the installers or DTV.

Thanks,

Dino
1 HR34-500 | 4 HR24-500 | 3 HR22-100 | 1 HR23-700 | 2 HR21-700| 1 HR20-700| 1 HR20-100 | 1 H25-500 |

2 - SWM16 w/DECA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:36 PM

101 - 80's across the board
110 - 0's
119 - 60's
99© - 40's
101© - 60's

He received signals on both tuners so I am guessing that he now has the right equipment and needs to be re-aligned.

Thanks,

Not quite sure why 110 is zero, but from the others:
Tilt is off, and none of the Ka SATs 99c & 103c are aligned well enough.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   dinotheo

dinotheo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:46 PM

Not quite sure why 110 is zero, but from the others:
Tilt is off, and none of the Ka SATs 99c & 103c are aligned well enough.

Thanks VOS.

Dino
1 HR34-500 | 4 HR24-500 | 3 HR22-100 | 1 HR23-700 | 2 HR21-700| 1 HR20-700| 1 HR20-100 | 1 H25-500 |

2 - SWM16 w/DECA

#4 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 11:16 PM

All right men.........on his your first day as professional DTV technicians I want everyone to take a 1/2 inch wrench and get used to it. Any questions?

OK then...let's hit the streets.

Joe

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,696 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:35 AM

All right men.........on this your first day as professional DTV technicians I want everyone to take a 1/2 inch wrench and get used to it. Any questions?

Joe

and learn what "Tight" is. :D
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   dinotheo

dinotheo

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:12 AM

Righty tighty
Lefty loosey

Dino

2 - SWM16 w/DECA

#7 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:57 AM

All right men.........on his your first day as professional DTV technicians I want everyone to take a 1/2 inch wrench and get used to it. Any questions?

Joe

I recommend a 13mm. Unless you never touch worldirect dishes.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#8 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:32 AM

Men, on the way out I want each of you to sign for the technical memo on the table. Take one and put it on your company clip board....................
I know you can read but just in case............the most important line is........ " Fasteners shall be firmly tightened," ..............Use those wrenches.

Attach them to the little chain on your jacket and chant after me....."Righty tighty, lefty loosey".......good!...again!........Righty tighty...lefty...loosey"

Have a good day............and come back tomorrow!

Joe

#9 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:32 PM

Men, on the way out I want each of you to sign for the technical memo on the table. Take one and put it on your company clip board....................
I know you can read but just in case............the most important line is........ " Fasteners shall be firmly tightened," ..............Use those wrenches.

Attach them to the little chain on your jacket and chant after me....."Righty tighty, lefty loosey".......good!...again!........Righty tighty...lefty...loosey"

Have a good day............and come back tomorrow!

Joe

!rolling !rolling !rolling !rolling !rolling !rolling !rolling !rolling !rolling !rolling !rolling

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

#10 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

just remember Tight does not mean use Lock-Tite.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#11 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 02:27 PM

just remember Tight does not mean use Lock-Tite.

They would be better off using that stuff. The other common reason for a having to repoint a dish is.........tech cranked the bolts until they broke. They can't afford a torque wrench because they spent all their money on Birddogs and dither classes.

Actually, there is a little trick for rare instances where the dish just will not tighten down on the post...........pry it open enough to insert strips of roof shingle or coax or even a squirt of silicone caulk.

And vertical cuts in a post that is too big will eventually shrink it enough to allow a dish to fit.

Once EQ is distorted this much a replacement is needed--the tech or the EQ- when possible.

Joe

spam firewall