Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What Cables?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:03 AM

I am wall mounting a lcd for my mother and need to run cables for DVR and DVD player. She just has a R15 now but will call in to upgrade to a HR*. What do you recommend that would work now and with the new receiver? I was thinking of running component so it would work on both at this time? thanks for any suggestions. Michael

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:15 AM

I'd run two HDMIs, and two RCA's. Remember you can't run the TV's power cord inside the wall.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#3 OFFLINE   Hornnumb2

Hornnumb2

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:23 AM

I'd run two HDMIs, and two RCA's. Remember you can't run the TV's power cord inside the wall.

I haven't seen the connections on the R15 now but I don't think it has HDMI so that would not work till she gets the new box. Right?

#4 OFFLINE   rhambling

rhambling

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:27 AM

I haven't seen the connections on the R15 now but I don't think it has HDMI so that would not work till she gets the new box. Right?

yup

SWMline-5 ODU
Winegard SS-2000 OTA
Samsung LN-T4042h 40" LCD
HR21-100 & AM-21[hdmi][wired][ups]
Samsung DVD-1080P7[YPbPr]
Xbox 360[hdmi][wired]
Yamaha RX-V363 AVR
Linksys WRT54G [Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c]

#5 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:35 PM

thats what the 2 RCA lines are for... one to the r15 and the other to the DVD

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 12:39 PM

If you're wall-mounting a TV, my recommended MINIMUM is to run as many HDMI cables as the TV has HDMI inputs, plus at least one full set of component+audio, and one set of composite+audio, and a coax for OTA.

My *preference* is to run a set of cables for every input the TV has, plus one additional HDMI in case the TV is upgraded later.

Cables are CHEAP. Running cables can be difficult, sometimes very difficult. It is SO much easier to run everything you need from the beginning than to have to add additional cables later.

But most people don't listen. I did a TV hang for a woman who refused to authorize/pay for additional cables, even after a 20-minute explaination of why it was so important (in this case, 7 holes had to be opened on the wall, and studs notched out for the cables, due to the construction of the house; this required drywall repair/texture matching/paint matching). It would have cost her an extra $60 at the time.

Two months later, she paid me another $375 to add more cables, because her husband bought an XBox...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...