Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Stern to Retire?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:00 PM

As if Sirius XM doesn't have enough problems Stern is hinting according to reports I have read that he is going to retire when his contract expires.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:30 PM

As if Sirius XM doesn't have enough problems Stern is hinting according to reports I have read that he is going to retire when his contract expires.

Howard has been saying that for twenty years. It's certainly very bad news if he really does it this time...but I got a feeling he'll stay around...maybe just with less shows.

#3 OFFLINE   thestaton

thestaton

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 11:25 AM

I believe it's his way of negotiating a contract... He just says look I'm going to retire and be done with it. Unless they pay him what he wants then he stays. It's the no fuss approach.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

You guys could be right, but IMO Stern has at this point done all their is for him to do, and he knows it. For good or bad, he's extended the limits of what a DJ and radio talk show host can do, but there really isn't anywhere else for him to go anymore. He's made his mark, and made his money, but it still young enough to enjoy it for a while, so it would be a great time for him to retire.

If he did, I'm sure he would do the random gig and stay in the spotlight for years to come, but he wouldn't have to come into work every day like he does now.

Besides, I think everyone will agree that sat radio has been a huge mess, and has turned a lot of people off. Even though Stern has arguably been the top host draw on sat radio, it's still a fraction of the listener base he had on terrestrial radio. And with the recent problems with XM and Sirius, there are going to be a lot of canceled subscriptions and angry subscribers who won't ever give sat radio another chance.

For those reasons, I think the chance of Stern retiring from a daily radio show are pretty good.

#5 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

If only he would retire....
Maybe Sirius could lower their fees. I hate that a part of my subscription cost goes toward paying this moron.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#6 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,634 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:58 AM

There is a "mostly music" package for both XM and Sirius, $9.99
http://www.xmradio.c...schoice&tier=MM
http://www.sirius.co...KG_MM&catid=all

#7 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:27 PM

Maybe Sirius could lower their fees. I hate that a part of my subscription cost goes toward paying this moron.

I totally agree with you about Stern being a "moron", but other people don't. Say what you will about Stern, but he got Sirius a lot of subs and I'm sure some XM subs got the "Best of" just to get Stern :rolleyes:

#8 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:28 PM

There is a "mostly music" package for both XM and Sirius, $9.99
http://www.xmradio.c...schoice&tier=MM
http://www.sirius.co...KG_MM&catid=all

Thank you so much for this information :sunsmile:

#9 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:55 PM

How much was Sirius before Stern? Same as it was after...Stern has helped to keep rates from increasing. At 1,000,000 listeners he was at break even for Sirius...I'd say he's done several times that. Actually, without Stern there's a real good shot there wouldn't be a Sirius today.

#10 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

You're not paying for Stern. His compensation was in *stock*. Like the rest of us stockholders, the value of said stock is down over 95%.

#11 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

Howard Stern,he's so in love with himself.

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#12 OFFLINE   DJConan

DJConan

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:36 PM

I liked his movie. I tried watching him on E awhile back. Then I tried listening to him when he was added to Sirius. I'm not offended by much and he does not offend me at all, but his show seemed to be a lot of, "show me your boobs." For me as a listener at least, I didn't laugh and wasn't entertained. I remember a show where he had some American Idol singer on there. All I remember from her name was "Star." He kept trying to talk her into stripping or flashing him or something. Boring.

I used to listen to The Don & Mike Show on the FM dial and liked their show much better. After the Janet incident with the new FCC regulations, Don & Mike became pretty boring as well.

#13 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:47 PM

You're not paying for Stern. His compensation was in *stock*. Like the rest of us stockholders, the value of said stock is down over 95%.

Are you kidding me :eek2: May be that is the real reason he is thinking of retiring :lol:

#14 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 07:18 PM

Stern's primary compensation is in cash not in stock, the exception being the one time performance bonuses that he got in 2006 over and above the compensation provided for under the "$500 million for 5 years" part of the deal,

Additionally Stern didn't just get a lump sum for the whole deal when he started.... he continues to get paid as he continues to perform on his contract, so saying that his compensation was in either stock or cash would be wrong either way. Even if his deal was to be paid in stock, these days Sirius would have to give him 40 times more shares of stock each month that they would have had to give him back in the days of it's better valuation, since it's unlikely that either Stern or Sirius would agree to a deal primarily based on the unknown value of SIRI stock 5 years into the future instead of a fixed dollar amount each year of the contract.

Edited by cartrivision, 07 January 2009 - 12:53 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 10:46 AM

I liked his movie. I tried watching him on E awhile back. Then I tried listening to him when he was added to Sirius. I'm not offended by much and he does not offend me at all, but his show seemed to be a lot of, "show me your boobs." For me as a listener at least, I didn't laugh and wasn't entertained. I remember a show where he had some American Idol singer on there. All I remember from her name was "Star." He kept trying to talk her into stripping or flashing him or something. Boring.

I used to listen to The Don & Mike Show on the FM dial and liked their show much better. After the Janet incident with the new FCC regulations, Don & Mike became pretty boring as well.

I enjoyed the movie before his divorce. I tried watching it after the divorce and now it's just a big joke.

As for Don and Mike. Don has retired and Mike does the show on his own. IMHO the show is better than ever. I podcast them.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#16 OFFLINE   Chad Dyess

Chad Dyess

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 09:07 AM

I don't think he'll retire yet. He's a workaholic and probably wouldn't know what to do if he wasn't on the radio. I say he'll renew his contract at least once more, assuming Sirius is around that long.

#17 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

i hope he renews

bubbas show im just starting to get into i was listening to that last night around 1am while playing madden on the ps3 :)
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

#18 OFFLINE   Italia

Italia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:37 AM

If Stern were to retire, who's listening? Expenses would probably be higher than the profits. Does anyone know why Stern doesn't sell his shows to other outlets, like an audiobook on itunes? Opie & Anthony do it and I have no problem paying for the show and listening to it when I want to.

#19 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:45 PM

Stern does sell his show to On Demand TV.

As for who's listening...only a large majority of the Sirius subscriber base.

#20 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:18 AM

As for who's listening...only a large majority of the Sirius subscriber base.

Actually, I doubt that very much. Myself, I never listened to him beyond a week after he was hired when I had Sirius. I saw nothing funny or worthwhile about his program. I'd rather listen to some good punk music on Underground Garage. ;)
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...