Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Stern to Retire?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Araxen

Araxen

Icon

• Registered
  • 785 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

If Stern goes I go.

That's all that needs to be said.

Stern is the only reason I've kept my sub active. I find the music channels very stale nowadays.
If it ain't in HD, it ain't worth watching!
PSN: Araxen - Xbox: Gamertag: Araxen II - Steam: Araxen - WiiU: Araxen

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:09 PM

Actually, I doubt that very much. Myself, I never listened to him beyond a week after he was hired when I had Sirius. I saw nothing funny or worthwhile about his program. I'd rather listen to some good punk music on Underground Garage. ;)

Okay, so all of the ratings and all of the polls are wrong. After it was announced he was going to Sirius all those people signed up because they wanted punk music...that must be it.

#23 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:25 AM

Although I know a lot of people switched to Sirius to hear Stern, the phrase I would quibble with is "large majority."

#24 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:29 AM

Although I know a lot of people switched to Sirius to hear Stern, the phrase I would quibble with is "large majority."

Bingo.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#25 OFFLINE   Italia

Italia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:29 AM

Are you saying that the large majority of subscribers are not there because of Stern?

#26 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:56 AM

Considering that, even a year after Stern, XM still had more subscribers than Sirius, yes.

Look, Stern is something *subjective*. You may like it, you may not. Some people have to get over their fan-boy-ism (and it's not just restricted to Stern admirers) and realize that each of these personalities has a segment of fans that is a MINORITY. Do you think that Oprah is responsible for more than half the viewers on cable?

Personally, I can't stand Stern. However, I have hobbies that other people think are rather strange and can't understand why I like what I like. That's why I tiptoe around comments people make when they think their preference is larger among the general population than it really is.

#27 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:51 AM

Are you saying that the large majority of subscribers are not there because of Stern?

I know many people who have Sirius. Not one of them is a Stern listener, including my two teenagers.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#28 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:55 AM

Yep. I am sure there are many there because they are Stern fans, but, certainly not a "large majority", or even a small "majority" for that matter.

#29 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:58 AM

I know many people who have Sirius. Not one of them is a Stern listener, including my two teenagers.

That group would also include my three brothers and their combined eight teenaged kids.

#30 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:16 AM

This is from an article on the 15 most likely to fail businesses for the coming year:

Sirius Satellite Radio. (SIRI - parent company; about 1,000 employees; stock down 96%). The music rocks, but satellite radio has yet to be profitable, and huge contracts for performers like Howard Stern are looking unsustainable. Sirius is one of two satellite-radio services owned by parent company Sirius XM, which was formed when Sirius and XM merged last year. So far, the merger hasn't generated the savings needed to make the company profitable, and Moody's thinks there's a "high likelihood" that Sirius will fail to repay or refinance its debt in 2009. One outcome could be a takeover, at distressed prices, by other firms active in the satellite business.

Apparently Stern has not added enough customers to pay for his contract.

http://finance.yahoo...s-14279875.html
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#31 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

I'd bet that most XM'ers were not Stern fans. If we were, we'd have sub'd to SIRI.

#32 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

This is from an article on the 15 most likely to fail businesses for the coming year:

Apparently Stern has not added enough customers to pay for his contract.

http://finance.yahoo...s-14279875.html

For Stern to pay for his contract he had to bring in atleast a million subscribers. This was said many many times. Stern brought in atleast 2 to 3 million subscribers. You tell me who else could do that? Not Oprah,Not Martha, not even Nascar or the NFL. You can not like him and put him down all you want,but he is a major force for satellite radio. I'm no "fan boy" I'm just a fan of his. Its also amazing how many people on the XM side now have the "Best of Sirius" package and call into Sterns show. They may not have went to Sirius because of him,but they sure dig him now.

If you guys really want to talk satellite radio go to digitalradiocentral.com. Thats the board I go to and there are a lot of good people there that know this stuff inside and out. There are also people that work at SiriusXM there. That board is where the price increase story broke first.

#33 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:58 PM

Even if Stern brought in 3 million, that's 3 out of 18 million. Less than 20% is NOT a "large majority".

#34 OFFLINE   TomMac

TomMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

Good riddance to bad rubbish!

I will not miss him.
HR20-700, Sony KLV-S32A10
HR20S-100, Toshiba 20AF44
AT9-Slimline with multiswitch.

#35 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

I wont miss him either. People subscribe to satellite radio for commerical free music and for music you cant find on radio. The only station here that use to play oldies now rarely plays 60s and never 50s. Now its 70s and 80s. Even then they talk more then they play. The main rock station in town they play all kinds of rock and every 3 or 4 songs its talk talk talk about crap no one cares about and its annoying.

Satellite radio may talk sometimes but some of you need to go listen to Fm sometime for a week and you will miss your satellite radio.
I am sure some people listen to stern. BUt how many of those people would just cancel the sub just because he is not there? ANd how many say they will and how many actually would? I doubt that they would lose all these people everyone thinks

#36 OFFLINE   Italia

Italia

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:15 AM

I wont miss him either. People subscribe to satellite radio for commerical free music and for music you cant find on radio. The only station here that use to play oldies now rarely plays 60s and never 50s. Now its 70s and 80s. Even then they talk more then they play. The main rock station in town they play all kinds of rock and every 3 or 4 songs its talk talk talk about crap no one cares about and its annoying.

Satellite radio may talk sometimes but some of you need to go listen to Fm sometime for a week and you will miss your satellite radio.
I am sure some people listen to stern. BUt how many of those people would just cancel the sub just because he is not there? ANd how many say they will and how many actually would? I doubt that they would lose all these people everyone thinks

Good point...but I personally never made the switch. You might be right. Some people might have made the switch due to Stern and then ended up finding other programs to their liking. They probably felt more justified spending the money at that point.

#37 OFFLINE   Ozwalt

Ozwalt

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:08 AM

The genius of Howard Stern was his "say anything and accept the consequences later" philosophy. For me, that really only has appeal when there are potential consequences (i.e. broadcast radio). On satellite, he's ALLOWED to say whatever he wants, and that takes away the edge of what he does.

#38 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:33 AM

The genius of Howard Stern was his "say anything and accept the consequences later" philosophy. For me, that really only has appeal when there are potential consequences (i.e. broadcast radio). On satellite, he's ALLOWED to say whatever he wants, and that takes away the edge of what he does.

It certainly has resulted in him being invisible to the non-subscribing general public.

#39 OFFLINE   ddrumman2004

ddrumman2004

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

I subscribed to Sirius when my daughter gave me a Sirius radio for a Father's Day gift over 3 years ago. It wasn't for Stern that I subscribed...it was for commercial free music.
Now I listen to Patriot 144.....take that away and I go Bye Bye!
Yes, I have a television that I watch from time to time.

#40 OFFLINE   pez2002

pez2002

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 01:33 PM

howard is funny if you dont like him dont listen there is a bunch of other channels to listen too
Mike
http://www.myspace.com/wnnnnnnnbc

xm sub as of/12/31/05

howard stern on xm channels 100-101 :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...