Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP722k features/Slingbox-enabled receiver

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PTS

PTS

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

Two quick questions:

What features will the 722k have that the current version doesn't? Outside of the ability to record two OTA channels at once, I haven't seen anything else of note.

Is there any timetable for the Slingbox-enabled receiver?
Samsung HLS5687W DLP HDTV
» Dish Network VIP622 via HDMI
Samsung PN50A550 Plasma HDTV
» TBD Receiver

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:12 PM

A 722 K is a 722 with a hole where the OTA tuner used to be. The OTA tuner is now a separate, optional, module that you have to buy if you want it. The only difference is that this separate module is a dual-OTA tuner module.

The only other difference is that it comes with a new, LEARNING remote, so you can "teach" it codes that aren't already in the remote.

#3 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

If I remember the tech chat.. The remote also can save the receiver settings and then write them to another receiver. I read this as being a useful way of transferring you configuration if you should have a box failure.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:49 PM

A feature that's only 12-1/2 years overdue*. ;)

The Sling-enabled receiver will be the ViP922.

* by necessity, not that it was ever promised
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

A 722 K is a 722 with a hole where the OTA tuner used to be. The OTA tuner is now a separate, optional, module that you have to buy if you want it. The only difference is that this separate module is a dual-OTA tuner module.

The only other difference is that it comes with a new, LEARNING remote, so you can "teach" it codes that aren't already in the remote.

I would reserve my opinion before I'll open a hood of the box, plus Dish spooling totally different SW for 722k - doesn't look like it is 722 as you presenting here.

#6 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:16 PM

A feature that's only 12-1/2 years overdue*. ;)

The Sling-enabled receiver will be the ViP922.

* by necessity, not that it was ever promised

Totally agree Bobabird. Given the boxes will fail, it is nice to see that there will be a method to make this swap as painless as possible. Sure wish they would also implement this through the Net and add the feature to the 722/622 boxes.
<strong class='bbc'>New Member of the 9K club & 922/612 User<br /></strong><span style='font-size: 8px;'>"A release is not a release until it is released." - Me. <br />"To the true believer, no proof is necessary. To the non believer, no proof is sufficient." - Peter James (Derived from a Stewert Chase Quote)</span>

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,311 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:24 PM

Totally agree Bobabird. Given the boxes will fail, it is nice to see that there will be a method to make this swap as painless as possible. Sure wish they would also implement this through the Net and add the feature to the 722/622 boxes.

There are traces of it on the 622/722 software so it may be there already ...

Hit MENU-MENU then the NEXT button on screen for TV1 and TV2 Remote Download menus.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

The feature is not exclusive for 622 [722] SW, I wouldn't be surprise to see it works for ALL ViP models, include 411 sibling.

#9 OFFLINE   Ron Barry

Ron Barry

622 Tips & Trick Keeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,879 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

There are traces of it on the 622/722 software so it may be there already ...

Hit MENU-MENU then the NEXT button on screen for TV1 and TV2 Remote Download menus.

True.. I thought about that as I typed. Not sure if it is just a mistake.. Some code that has leaked into the build of if it truly is planned for the 722 and all that is needed is the remote. That would be cool, but I still would like to see a Net version of it supported. Sort of like how Harmony uses the net to store configurations.

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:44 AM

It's not a leakage ( per se ) but all ViP models will support save/restore customer's settings thru new remote.

#11 OFFLINE   Robotpedlr

Robotpedlr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:35 PM

I have a VIP722 and one of the new remotes. I followed the instructions above (menu, menu, next) and it took me to the download screen. I then initiated the download to my remote and it flashed all of my mode lights and then the reciever rebooted...just dont know if it actually saved (downloaded) the info.

When I went back to the screen, it still said no intial remote download has been completed...so I assume that means it didnt...although I thought it did cause of the lights flashing and the reboot....

#12 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:42 AM

My 722 did the exact same thing, so I just gave up on it.

I think the 722 just can't handle a download from one of the new remotes but that "shared" software is being used/developed between the 722 and 722K.

At least that's my theory…

spam firewall