Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Features of new HD DVR 722K

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lisacor

lisacor

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

Can anyone fill me in on the new features of the new 722K? My parents are upgrading after having an OLD box. I am just curious if they should hold off a few more days and try to get the 722K.

Thanks again in advance for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dishguy77

dishguy77

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 07:32 PM

the 722k has no built in OTA tuner and comes with a new set of remotes, the 20.0 and 21.0, that use 2 way communication with the receiver. other than that it's pretty much the same receiver as the 722.

#3 OFFLINE   Robotpedlr

Robotpedlr

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:48 PM

You can get the new remote with the normal 722 also.

I have the 722 and called and asked for the new remote (had to find someone that knew about it first) and they sent it for free. I needed it for a TV that needed a learning remote since the one that came with the 722 didnt work..

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:54 PM

the 722k has no built in OTA tuner and comes with a new set of remotes, the 20.0 and 21.0, that use 2 way communication with the receiver. other than that it's pretty much the same receiver as the 722.

The feature had VERY LIMITED value, ie only for store and retrieve your DVR setting ! Nothing fancy.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

the 722k has no built in OTA tuner ...

For clarification ... the 722k will also be sold with a dual OTA tuner module that fits into the 722k's case (not a separate rackspace unit like DirecTV's AM-21). That dual OTA tuner will allow OTA TV on both TV1 and TV2 (unlike the 622/722 which only allow live OTA on TV1).

#6 OFFLINE   sethwell

sethwell

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

You can get the new remote with the normal 722 also.

I have the 722 and called and asked for the new remote (had to find someone that knew about it first) and they sent it for free. I needed it for a TV that needed a learning remote since the one that came with the 722 didnt work..

FREE??? well that just chaps my you know what. lol, mine was 27 something and so far it is late, suppose to have been here Friday:( :mad: :( .

#7 OFFLINE   lisacor

lisacor

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:57 AM

For clarification ... the 722k will also be sold with a dual OTA tuner module that fits into the 722k's case (not a separate rackspace unit like DirecTV's AM-21). That dual OTA tuner will allow OTA TV on both TV1 and TV2 (unlike the 622/722 which only allow live OTA on TV1).

OK... A few silly questions here if I could. Why would they not want an OTA? They would not have the locals channels show up in their guide then correct? How would they record a show on NBC, lets say, at 8:00pm? With it being a new DVR why would it not include an OTA?

And can you explain a little more about the Dual OTA tuner module when you say it will allow OTA TV on both TV1 and TV2? My setup is 722K running two TVs. I can watch OTA on TV 1 and TV2.

Thanks again for clarification.

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:19 AM

On a ViP 622 or 722 there is one OTA tuner built in ... and while one can schedule recordings on the OTA tuner (via TV1) and watch them on either TV later live use of the OTA tuner is limited to TV1. The channels don't show up in the TV2 guide.

(One can run a 622 or 722 in single mode and view the OTA channels on a second TV ... but not separate from what is showing on TV1.)

The 722K changes that. Two OTA tuners will be present with that module - which means separate OTA to both TVs in "dual" mode or two OTA/two satellite recording in "single" mode (four recordings at a time, potentially).

People who choose to save the $30 MSRP and get a 722k without the module would still get satellite delivered OTA (if they subscribed) but would miss out on any out of market or subchannel OTA that is available. The situation you describe is having the module but not subscribing to locals ... you can get the feed but without subscribing to locals you don't get EPG details for those channels.

Best speculation is that people far from the transmit point of their OTAs would not need the module and it could save them a couple dollars buying the receiver. With leasing I don't see it saving any money not getting the module - even if it doesn't add a lot of OTA content. It is an internal module, not an external box taking up more space. I see no reason not to get it if one has a 722k or 222k.

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

On technical note - the design/idea is not new, I saw it in Motorola VOOM receivers long time ago: you could use one or two OTA cartridges.

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:37 AM

Go back further than that to the DISH 5000 with OTA and MPEG2 HD modules. :)

I am glad that DISH decided to stay with internal modules.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

Actually it was model 6000 and those cartridges been 8VSB and 8PSK types. Model 5000 accompanied by ATSC modulator what allowed to send SD sat programs to your neighbor or next floor TV.
I'm not sure if Motorola design came early in other models, for sure by elegance and real engineering effort those modules far better then ugly Dish boxes with screeching fans. Small module what is same time a 8VSB tuner and a combiner with a power to OTA antenna. Nice design!

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

Still long before Voom launched. But not really the topic of this thread ...
Back to the future (or near present).

#13 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:59 AM

My guess is that the OTA module will not be offered to people that have HD LIL in their market and do not ask for it. This move is more to save Dish Network money than it is to save the customer money. I don't see a problem with it, customers that want it can get it cheaply without having another box in their setup. Customers that will never use it don't get it and save Dish Network a few bucks in the process.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#14 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:10 PM

Correct. The vast majority of Dish subscribers don't have or care about OTA; they only watch what the dish delivers. Most folks will be totally fine without the OTA tuner.

Some folks live and die by their OTA signals, and tend to be loud in their support for OTA, and the new design allows those folks to continue to get OTA with a small one-time fee for the module, and in fact, get better functionality with the dual tuners in the module.

Aside from the $30 cost for the module, which some folks will inevitably complain about, this is a win for everyone.

#15 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

I read in here, not that long ago it seems, that there was some ambiguity with regards to the two tuner OTA modules' output (SD or HD). Has this been determined?

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,403 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:18 PM

Until such time as all OTA channels are carried, there will be at least an occasional desire for OTA tuners.

I would also dispute the "most don't care" assertion. Especially with DISH, LIL coverage is not very complete. There's always someone lamenting not being able to get a weather/traffic channel or some wildly popular program stranded on an otherwise void network.

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,051 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:19 PM

Regardless our speculations, we should wait for real device, sometimes Dish does not release new box with all features, but later changing SW and adding it. Look at 211, now it is DVR.

#18 OFFLINE   sethwell

sethwell

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:25 PM

the 722k was just added to the tech portal, came across it today. not sure when they put the info up there. http://tech.dishnetw...iver/722k.shtml

#19 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 461 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:34 PM

Looks like if you need a S-Video connection, you won't have one with the 722K and are better off with the 722.

Does anyone know why DISH continues to cripple the TV2 output?

#20 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:06 PM

Does anyone know why DISH continues to cripple the TV2 output?

Crippled how? If you mean why is it SD only, the answer is simple: there is no practical way for Dish to offer free TV2 installs using either component or HDMI for distribution. DRM and cost prevent the use of an ATSC modulator. If Dish added HD outputs for the TV2, there would be a bunch of customers who would *insist* that Dish hooks them up, FOR FREE. That's what customers do, even when they are being completely unreasonable. Ask any installer how that works... :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...