Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Features of new HD DVR 722K

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:20 PM

Is there any way they could do this by integrating the sling catcher?

We will see how it implemented in ViP922 at CES.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,693 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:42 AM

Is there any way they could do this by integrating the sling catcher?

Do you really want a satellite installer hooking stuff up to your LAN and configuring your router?

#28 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,367 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:23 AM

Do you really want a satellite installer hooking stuff up to your LAN and configuring your router?

Yes? :)

As long as it isn't doing it without my permission I'd me happy with LAN connection.
No router config should be needed for a LAN sharing.

WAN connections should need to be explicitly turned on in receiver menus. These too can be done without router configuration (unless one has a router that explicitly blocks inside to outside traffic). Most routers are pretty open to things on the inside wanting out.

Most of this could be self install or easy enough even an installer could do it.

I wouldn't make setting up Sling a requirement of every install ... but if a receiver is Sling capable it should be connected properly to the network (with the customer's permission, of course).

#29 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

Until such time as all OTA channels are carried, there will be at least an occasional desire for OTA tuners.

Exactly. If I had no OTA tuner in my 622, I couldn't record/watch Smallville in HD, SEC basketball and football games on Raycom in HD, or any PBS programming in HD.

Now if Dish provides every OTA channel in HD, I will disconnect my antennas. Until then, I need OTA.

#30 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,693 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:37 AM

The Slingbox needs to have port forwarding for WAN use and if the router doesn't support the necessary uPNP commands (neither of mine do) that means you have to set it up manually.

For those with VOIP, there may also be some QoS configuration that needs to be done.

#31 OFFLINE   Artorture

Artorture

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

I have no plans to buy a 722k but, with omission of a OTA tuner you think they could add a third satellite tuner. U-Verse has this why not a Dish DVR?

#32 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,708 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:42 PM

I have no plans to buy a 722k but, with omission of a OTA tuner you think they could add a third satellite tuner. U-Verse has this why not a Dish DVR?

Why not another two satellite tuners in another optional module for those of us who don't have OTA? Let's make the wish list worthwhile!:D

#33 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

DHMO User

• Registered
  • 559 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:57 PM

And multiple HD outputs. :)

#34 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

Yes.

Then DISH is using the lack of a second HD output merrily as a crutch. DISH doesn't have to install it for free, they could simply provide the means for the user themselves to take advantage of it without limiting or removing outputs currently on the back of the receiver.

I know this probably doesn't make sense, but let me assure you it's true. Adding that port would result in Dish having to give away freebies to placate customers, and would result in cancellations because installers would have to refuse to connect the TV2 via HD for customers. Dish is already losing lots of customers over very minor, and usually correctable issues, and Dish customers are used to getting everything for free.

Out of, say, 30 service calls I get a week, less than 10 of those will have the customer paying. The others will have notes stating that the customer refused to pay and threatened to cancel, and so the CSRs relented and gave them a free service call. And many of these service calls are for blatently customer-caused issues, such as the customer moving a receiver or replacing a TV and not knowing how connect it or to program the tuner in it.

Most of the folks here can understand why it is unreasonable to expect an installer to be able to distribute HD to the 2nd TV for free, or even for a fee on the same day, since at best, most installs would require custom-length cables. But the folks that come here aren't typicaly Dish customers. The typical Dish customer simply wants what they want, and aren't interested in hearing why they can't have it.

With the current system, at least the advertising mentions that TV2 is SD only, and there are no other options on the receiver to dispute that. If, say, a second HDMI was added, you'd have people complaining not only that it wasn't hooked up for free, but that their TV2 was older and needs component cables instead. In the end, you'd have a lot of angry customers calling in demanding that someone "do something" to make them happy.

Until some other form of HD distribution becomes available, you won't see this change.

#35 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:27 PM

I would say different way - Dish still figure out how much that fee will be for second HD output per months and how much it will cost to install it - cabling/labor.

#36 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:18 PM

There's no way to know what it would cost to install. Unlike coax, you can't buy HDMI cable in bulk and terminate it yourself very easily. Nor is it practical to run 5 coaxes to do a component connection. Also, for those connections, you generally need to minimize cable distance, which means the cables must take a more direct route (read: through the house). This creates all sorts of potential for problems and/or custom charges that customers won't want to pay.

The simple solution is the current one: get an additional receiver.

If Dish ever implements an MRV solution, then that could solve the shared content issue.

#37 OFFLINE   nicktripp

nicktripp

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

I know much is being made about the removable OTA tuner module, but I'm actually pretty excited about two OTA tuners. I'm planning on signing up as a new customer but have decided to wait for the release of the 722k specifically for the dual OTA tuners.

I'll just spend the time between now and then getting my antenna mounted and optimally pointed. :D

#38 OFFLINE   DNSFSS

DNSFSS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:43 PM

I know this probably doesn't make sense, but let me assure you it's true. Adding that port would result in Dish having to give away freebies to placate customers, and would result in cancellations because installers would have to refuse to connect the TV2 via HD for customers. Dish is already losing lots of customers over very minor, and usually correctable issues, and Dish customers are used to getting everything for free.

Out of, say, 30 service calls I get a week, less than 10 of those will have the customer paying. The others will have notes stating that the customer refused to pay and threatened to cancel, and so the CSRs relented and gave them a free service call. And many of these service calls are for blatently customer-caused issues, such as the customer moving a receiver or replacing a TV and not knowing how connect it or to program the tuner in it.

Most of the folks here can understand why it is unreasonable to expect an installer to be able to distribute HD to the 2nd TV for free, or even for a fee on the same day, since at best, most installs would require custom-length cables. But the folks that come here aren't typicaly Dish customers. The typical Dish customer simply wants what they want, and aren't interested in hearing why they can't have it.

With the current system, at least the advertising mentions that TV2 is SD only, and there are no other options on the receiver to dispute that. If, say, a second HDMI was added, you'd have people complaining not only that it wasn't hooked up for free, but that their TV2 was older and needs component cables instead. In the end, you'd have a lot of angry customers calling in demanding that someone "do something" to make them happy.

Until some other form of HD distribution becomes available, you won't see this change.

+1

AMEN BROTHA!!!
Please note that none of my opinions here are necessarily the opinion of my employer (DISH Network) or of Echostar Holdings Corporation (EHC). For these opinions, please visit DishNetwork.com or Echostar.com.

#39 OFFLINE   bhoth

bhoth

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:18 PM

When is the 722K going to be available?

#40 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,287 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:43 PM

Soon.

#41 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:54 AM

Soon.

Bwooooo - ha - ha - ha - ha! ROTFL
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#42 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:12 AM

(My somewhat educated guess here...) Probably mid-January to mid-February for availability.
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

Protected By... spam firewall...And...