Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Icing Question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   onan38

onan38

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:46 AM

We are expecting icy conditions here in Kentucky and southern Indiana tonight. I've been with Directv since 94 my old dish i would just (knock,tap hard enough to break the ice off the dish.) They are predicting 1/4 inch or more for my area i have only had my HD dish for 3 months what is the best way to protect the dish and LNB's from thicker than average ice. I am afraid with very thick ice and tapping to get it off the lnb's and screwing them up. Luckily my dish is close to the ground any advice would be helpful.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TomCat4680

TomCat4680

Godfather

• Banned User
  • 280 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:02 AM

poor some hot water on it to melt it. I did it last week when alot of my channels weren't coming in cuz of the ice and it worked.
Service / packages: DirecTV Plus HD DVR with HBO, Cinemax, Starz Super Pack, Showtime Unlimited and HD Extra Pack
Receiver: DirecTV HR22 and 5 LNB Dish
TV: Insignia 42 inch 1080p LCD HDTV with built in ATSC digital tuner (Model Number NS-LCD42HD-09)
Antenna: Terk HDTVa indoor amplified directional
DirecTV's 2 year old unfulfilled promise http://dtv.client.sh...eleaseID=286351
Stuart Sweet is a Nazi

#3 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:06 PM

poor some hot water on it to melt it. I did it last week when alot of my channels weren't coming in cuz of the ice and it worked.

Just be careful with the hot water on the LNB as it could crack the plastic!:rolleyes:

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

#4 OFFLINE   HiDuck

HiDuck

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:33 AM

I read somewhere in the threads people advocating the use of a super-soaker and shooting windshield deicer at the dish. With yours so close to the ground you could probably just use a spray bottle filled with the stuff. Also Prestone now make a pretreat for windows to keep the ice from grabbing hold to begin with. I wonder if that would be a better option?

#5 OFFLINE   gocardinals

gocardinals

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

I have icing problems in central Illinois. I noticed some ice in the bottom center of the dish. Is this the main problem area? Or on the LMB?

#6 OFFLINE   MadMac

MadMac

Legend

• Registered
  • 240 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

There was a product marketed some years ago which was a spray-on coating that left a peach-like surface on the dish. I used it in Scotland and it worked well.

(Edit) This looks like the same kind of thing:

http://www.wx2100.com/

#7 OFFLINE   ArcinGuy

ArcinGuy

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 04:59 AM

I know the use of non-stick spray is not recommended b/c it can damage the dish coating, but hot water is okay as long as you stay away from the lnb like he said. Im not sure about de-icer, but i would recommend against it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...