Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Blu-ray Recorders Take Majority of Market

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,210 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:58 AM

1.5 times faster than DVD replaced VHS.

Blu-ray Disc recording drives recently surpassed 50 percent market share for DVD recorders, according to a report released last week by market research firm GfK. That's up from just 10 percent market share as of October 2007.

The shift can be attributed both to the disappearance of HD DVD in early 2008 and falling prices on Blu-ray hardware, the study said. In fact, Blu-ray recording's rise mirrors that of the VHS to DVD-R shift that took place in 2002, although at a much faster pace.

BD recorders are currently replacing their DVD predecessors 1.5 times faster than DVD replaced VHS.

According to GfK, sales of flat panel TVs have helped drive demand for Blu-ray technologies, especially as consumers make the switch to HD.

Source: www.mediabiz.com/news/retailbridge/

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,833 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:59 AM

It's a shame that the recorders aren't available in the US by and large. I don't know if I'd buy one today but I have enjoyed having a DVD recorder and miss the functionality of being able to save a program.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 01:52 PM

This is actually pretty amazing news considering the economy, and it's going to cause a lot of people to eat their words. It shows two things: customers WERE waiting until there was a single HD standard, and then until the prices came down on the players. One without the other wasn't enough.

It also helps that Blu-Rays from all studios, including some big hits like The Dark Knight, are becoming available.

#4 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:48 PM

I saw this and considered posting it here, but for the most part this is elsewhere and not here in the US. To Mr. Shadows point I think a lot of folks have opted for thier computers to handle this type of thing, which could skew the reulst being a different platform, much like the PS3 is to a BluRay player.

My next computer will have a BluRay Recording Drive, 50 GB baby!
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#5 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:31 PM

My next computer will have a BluRay Recording Drive, 50 GB baby!

Bring your wallet...the decent ones with something over 4X speed are going in Japan for about $800-$900 in American dollars...

I think you'll have to wait perhaps until about 2010 or so...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:37 PM

Bring your wallet...the decent ones with something over 4X speed are going in Japan for about $800-$900 in American dollars...

I think you'll have to wait perhaps until about 2010 or so...

You might be looking in the wrong spots then: LG 6x http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827136137 $249.99 :D
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#7 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

You might be looking in the wrong spots then: LG 6x http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827136137 $249.99 :D

I said the DECENT ones...:D

IMHO, anything less than 12X is too slow...with a disk of 60 GB....just think how long this unit will take....

#8 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

Oh sure...and the next thing you'll be saying is I need a 50x speed...;)

Hey, it is all relative man!
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#9 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

Oh sure...and the next thing you'll be saying is I need a 50x speed...;)

Hey, it is all relative man!

24X would be nice...but at least 12X, unless you enjoy burning BD DVD's and napping alot. :D

#10 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:24 PM

I multitask man, burn and work at the same time meester! ;)
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#11 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:06 AM

This is actually pretty amazing news considering the economy, and it's going to cause a lot of people to eat their words. It shows two things: customers WERE waiting until there was a single HD standard, and then until the prices came down on the players. One without the other wasn't enough.

It also helps that Blu-Rays from all studios, including some big hits like The Dark Knight, are becoming available.

the article said blu-ray drives;

to me this means people (or businesses) are taking advantage of the added capacity for daily/weekly backups. these things aren't necessarily hooked up to the family TV.

and what was the market share of dvd-r drives compared to dvd set-top players?

i have a dvd-r drive that is about 5 years old, and i haven't burned a dvd in over 3 years, seeing how flash drives offer gigabytes of capacity for backup.

i don't think an increase in the sale of blu-ray drives will correlate with an increase of blu-ray movie sales.

i think the author of that article was trying to forcibly create some relevance to the increase of recorder drive sales to the increasing number of hdtv's.

#12 OFFLINE   kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:47 AM

The other question is how much is good media running?
my setup here

#13 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:24 PM

I was at Best Buy on Saturday, for 1 single layer Sony BD-R it was $18.99, the rerwritable were $2 or $3 less. This is down about $8 since the last time I checked. I'll probably never buy a component BD recorder, never bought a standalone CD burner, never bought a standalone DVD burner, the BD burner I have in my PC suites me fine. I typically don't archive stuff. I'll either record, watch then delete on my DVR, or buy it. Plus having a blu ray burner drive in a PC means striping copy protection just got a hell of a lot easier.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#14 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

Here are two links also about Blu-Ray
http://tech.yahoo.co...oducts-of-2008/
They give Blu-Ray one of the tops in worst Tech for the yr.
Even with Blu-Ray support, Sony Flagship PS3 can't gain on Xbox or the Pact Leader Wii.
http://videogames.ya...won-08-/1276642

#15 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,614 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:42 AM

Here are two links also about Blu-Ray
http://tech.yahoo.co...oducts-of-2008/
They give Blu-Ray one of the tops in worst Tech for the yr.
Even with Blu-Ray support, Sony Flagship PS3 can't gain on Xbox or the Pact Leader Wii.
http://videogames.ya...won-08-/1276642

Yahoo only rated Blu Ray low because of the Movie Media prices. If they'd both to actually SHOP for Blu Ray, they'd have no problems finding the media at competitive prices.

Ignorant press reports like this grossly distort the fact that they only are talking about retail pricing, which no one in their right mind pays.

I have yet to pay more than $15.99 for any Blu Ray disk (except 1) out of the 35 I own to date...

The key is to SHOP - one common way to get the price down is to maky your list of preferred titiles, and then when Best Buy or Amazon has the "Buy One Get One Free" or "Buy Two get One Free" promotions, pull the trigger...the average price drops to about $14 - $15 each....

Another is to watch sales...Walmart had 4 Blu Rays this past week in stores for $10...Frys had 8 for under $14.

#16 OFFLINE   xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:33 AM

are these numbers for just stand-alone boxes or for BD-Rs as well?
and as for recording times, why not just keep a DVR burner connected and use that for burning compressed files/short series while the bluray takes care of putting the past 5 seasons of south park on a single disc for ya?
Here I am! Rock you like a Hadoken!!

spam firewall