Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Install In Progress...

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:21 PM

Not sure why the dish would go???

He said he wanted to make sure to change everything out to rule out any possibilities, he was still getting a weak signal after swapping out the LNB (I would have guessed rain, it was a big storm)

Hope you tipped him nice?!?!?

Yes. turns out he also did the wall fish for free... saved me $75 on that...
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA
Network+, Security+, All-around NiceGuy™

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:31 PM

And my main Living Room setup, with my TV, DirecTV HR23-700, Xbox 360 (with beleaguered HD-DVD Drive), Region-Free DVD/DiVX player, Mac Mini (digital video server), Hard Drive for the videos, Cable Modem, Sony 6.1 Receiver, and Apple AirPort Extreme. (among other sundry items)

Posted Image
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#23 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:25 PM

Sir,
The weather conditions here will block your signal during the time necessary to activate your equipment. They don't pay me enough to climb on a roof during a rain event. It is even dangerous to carry a ladder on wet grass. Connecting electrical equipment while it is wet could damage the equipment or injure me.
I am not going to attempt your installation now.

I will be in this area today and if conditions improve I will attempt to return and begin your installation. I would suggest you find some old sheets or towels to put near the door to stop mud from entering your home.

...No, I am not sorry for the inconvenience. I didn't make it rain.

Did I miss something?

Joe

#24 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:04 PM

Did I miss something?

Joe

Possibly. Could you elaborate on your post?
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#25 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

Joe is one of those people that we call installers. He is saying that your installer went so Far above and Beyond the call of duty, that you should be eternally grateful for what was done.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#26 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:22 PM

Joe is one of those people that we call installers. He is saying that your installer went so Far above and Beyond the call of duty, that you should be eternally grateful for what was done.

Ah, I see... Believe me, I was very grateful. I fully expected a cancellation... he was tipped well, though!
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#27 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:42 PM

As promised, the skies cleared today, and here's the final install:

http://flickr.com/ph...57611259042203/
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#28 OFFLINE   idigg

idigg

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:51 PM

Sir,
The weather conditions here will block your signal during the time necessary to activate your equipment. They don't pay me enough to climb on a roof during a rain event. It is even dangerous to carry a ladder on wet grass. Connecting electrical equipment while it is wet could damage the equipment or injure me.
I am not going to attempt your installation now.

I will be in this area today and if conditions improve I will attempt to return and begin your installation. I would suggest you find some old sheets or towels to put near the door to stop mud from entering your home.

...No, I am not sorry for the inconvenience. I didn't make it rain.

Did I miss something?

Joe

Yes, you did miss something, you're a glorified cable installer! No tip for you!
HR21-700
HR22-100
H21-100
---------
AM21 for sale $38 shipped (PM ME)

#29 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

Sure,

This work can be enjoyable and possibly pay enough to support a family. It requires a little skill and a little training and a little investment. All in all installations have been pretty good to me until recently.

What I was alluding to was the temptation that hits all well motivated craftsmen to take risks beyond their capabilities. Sometimes this means attempting work when conditions are too dangerous to proceed. For example, if a fireman goes through a roof because the fire had weakened the building that man is a hero and he or his widow will get some kind of compensation. IF an installer slides off a slippery roof he goes over the edge and, if he survives, may get some kind of workman's compensation. For sure, the manager he works for will eventually get around to explaining that with that broken leg there is just no position available.

Once, a long time ago, I called a cable company office to tell them to send a bucket truck to do a midspan connection. My thirty foot ladder needed to be vertical to do the work; real dangerous. They sent the truck..my work was diminished because "I wasn't good with ladders." A few months later another tech came down on his head and died thirty feet below that exact line. He was a hero, right?

I'm glad you job went in. I wasn't there to judge conditions. I think the atmosphere conditions confused a new tech into doing some unnecessary trouble shooting and an unnecessary trip on a roof in the rain. Glad he go away with it.

I just thought I would ring a bell to folks expecting prompt installations this time of the year.

Joe

#30 OFFLINE   dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt

Under Suspicion

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationAnaheim, CA

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:51 PM

I'm glad you job went in. I wasn't there to judge conditions. I think the atmosphere conditions confused a new tech into doing some unnecessary trouble shooting and an unnecessary trip on a roof in the rain. Glad he go away with it.

Actually, he said he was one of the two most senior DirecTV installers (non-contractor) in the San Diego area, and had been doing installs for nearly 10 years... perhaps his experience gave him the confidence to tackle the elements.
Aaron Slater
Anaheim, CA

#31 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

Yes, you did miss something, you're a glorified cable installer! No tip for you!

I did cable for a brief period.

The satellite companies were too busy to train folks so they hired experienced cable guys away from cable companies to hang the dishes. I was lucky there. I met skilled guys who were real generous with their time to bring along new guys. I left cable for that new stuff PrimeStar was offering.

Don't need a tip. My rate for everything above and beyond the basic installation is $60.00 per hour. My work comes from home theater companies who won't let the HSP gentlemen cut up new work. I also repair phones for the same rate. More and more residential phones are damaged by the same gentlemen.

We are getting into the season where the techs will need to get their parachutes out.........snow and ice on the roof makes rain seem like a walk in the park.

No tipping required. I leave a bill.

Joe

#32 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:59 PM

Actually, he said he was one of the two most senior DirecTV installers (non-contractor) in the San Diego area, and had been doing installs for nearly 10 years... perhaps his experience gave him the confidence to tackle the elements.

That is usually the case. DTV didn't have installers of their own until recently.
(Another story)
Your man got good at what he does taking risks. Glad it worked.

Joe

#33 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,528 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

I did cable for a brief period.

The satellite companies were too busy to train folks so they hired experienced cable guys away from cable companies to hang the dishes. I was lucky there. I met skilled guys who were real generous with their time to bring along new guys. I left cable for that new stuff PrimeStar was offering.

Don't need a tip. My rate for everything above and beyond the basic installation is $60.00 per hour. My work comes from home theater companies who won't let the HSP gentlemen cut up new work. I also repair phones for the same rate. More and more residential phones are damaged by the same gentlemen.

We are getting into the season where the techs will need to get their parachutes out.........snow and ice on the roof makes rain seem like a walk in the park.

No tipping required. I leave a bill.
Joe

LMAO :rolling:
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...