Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Directv's answer to "Turbo" hd....

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jazzbo

Jazzbo

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

Why doesn't Directv have a package that's comparable to Dish's Turbo?
Do they have something similar and I've just overlooked it?
The idea of being able to receive and pay for only hd channels is an excellent idea and I'm surprised that Directv is behind the curve on this one.
Is there anything in the works along these lines?
....anybody? :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:52 PM

closest match i can think of is HD Extra Pak
Here I am! Rock you like a Hadoken!!

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 03:54 PM

DirecTV doesn't NEED to have such a package; they don't have one now and are still doing much better than Dish in the market.

I'm sure Dish didn't really WANT to create their HD-Only package, but doing so was one of the ways they mitigated the loss of Voom and their being behind in adding HD channels (they caught up fairly quickly, though). They also know that sports watchers are among the largest group of HD adopters, and they don't have the premium sports packages to offer, so they needed something else to compete.

I would guess that the HD-only package cuts pretty deep into Dish's profit margin...

#4 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 05:27 PM

Why would they need too? For just a few bucks more you get more HD channels with DirecTV plus all the SD channels (which most people still watch). "Turbo" HD is simply a marketing gimmick for Dish and nothing more. There are a few people out there that actually benefit from it but not many.

#5 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 06:15 PM

closest match i can think of is HD Extra Pak

HD extra pack is nothing like Turbo HD. HD extra pack is an add on that requires you to have Directv HD access and a base package. Turbo HD is three HD only packages from Dish Network.

For $5 on top of HD access and your base package price, HD Extra Pack gives you:
HDNet Movies
MGM
Smithsonian
Universal
Palladia
Crime & Investigation Network

For $29.99, TurboHD Bronze gives you:
Locals (if available in HD, $24.99 if not)
A&E
ABC Family
Cartoon Network
Food Network
HD Theater
HD Net
HGTV
History
Lifetime
CNBC
CNN
Discovery
Disney
ESPN
ESPN 2
ESPN News
Palladia
SciFi
TBS
TLC
TNT
Travel Channel
USA
Weather Channel

A quick google for "Dish TurboHD" and you will be able to see the other levels (Silver and Gold), what channels are included, and the prices.

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,019 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:43 PM

Why doesn't Directv have a package that's comparable to Dish's Turbo?
Do they have something similar and I've just overlooked it?
The idea of being able to receive and pay for only hd channels is an excellent idea and I'm surprised that Directv is behind the curve on this one.
Is there anything in the works along these lines?
....anybody? :confused:

Its a nice theory that Dish has, but there are too many wholes in the number of channels that are in hd vs. sd right now, I don't think many people would really want to switch to it, and I doubt directv would want to loose the revenue anyway. (think of all the areas that only have part time rsns. That alone would be a non starter for many customers)They have never offered super low price entry level packages as a main offering. Just not their focus. It might add a few subs, but they would probably be less stable and more likely to churn... I would like to see them get rid of the hd fee and simply equal out the costs over all the customers. I think that would be far better as a marketing tool.. being able to say, our HD is completely free....

#7 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:06 PM

I would like to see them get rid of the hd fee and simply equal out the costs over all the customers. I think that would be far better as a marketing tool.. being able to say, our HD is completely free....

I'd predict that they will indeed do that by 2010 or 2011 at the latest. Some cable companies are trying to do this already (although they still get you with other crazy HD fees).

#8 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,663 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

I would like to see them get rid of the hd fee and simply equal out the costs over all the customers. I think that would be far better as a marketing tool.. being able to say, our HD is completely free....

I'd like to see them get rid of the SD channels that also have HD feeds, which would save money and free up some more bandwidth. Just take and downrez the HD feed for people who are still using SDTVs. Plus the picture would look a lot better. Why have both when one can do the job?

#9 OFFLINE   fkostyun

fkostyun

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:29 PM

I'm on the line about switching - it'd be $30/month cheaper for me. Works out to $360/year - which is a pretty nice chunk of change.

#10 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:36 PM

I'd like to see them get rid of the SD channels that also have HD feeds, which would save money and free up some more bandwidth. Just take and downrez the HD feed for people who are still using SDTVs. Plus the picture would look a lot better. Why have both when one can do the job?

How do you figure that? Remember, the SD channels are on the 101 and the HD channels are on the 99 and 103, so that would mean everyone would have to have a MPEG4 receiver to see the channels, unless you downrezzed the MPEG4 feeds and put them back on the 101... but wait, you're using the same bandwidth again...

It'll never fly, Orville...

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#11 OFFLINE   Chip Moody

Chip Moody

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:41 PM

I wouldn't mind them doing this except for the fact that some stations (<cough> TBS! <cough>) insist on stretching 4x3 content to 16x9, which just pisses me off. Until/if those stations change that, I want the SD channel as an option.

- Chip

"How can one little insulated wire bring so much happiness!?!" - Homer Simpson

#12 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:55 PM

Because all SD receivers would have to be MPEG4 capable.;)

As for the Downrezzed HD feeds,that is exactly what DirecTV and the programmers are doing now.But it's in MPEG2 SD so no bandwith savings until a complete MPEG4 SD switchover.;)

P.S. If a switchover would ever happen.It would be a few years at least I would think.;)

#13 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:13 AM

If a switchover would ever happen.It would be a few years at least I would think.

More than just a few years. 5-10 years if they started today.

#14 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,019 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:17 AM

I'd predict that they will indeed do that by 2010 or 2011 at the latest. Some cable companies are trying to do this already (although they still get you with other crazy HD fees).

Yeah, like 15-20 a month per hd dvr...

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,019 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:18 AM

Im sure that will happen, as soon as all their customers have MPEG-4 apable equipment.. so we are a few years away.. like 5-10...

#16 OFFLINE   JohnMeyer

JohnMeyer

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:40 AM

A&E
ABC Family
Cartoon Network
Food Network
HD Theater
HD Net
HGTV
History
Lifetime

CNBC
CNN
Discovery
Disney
ESPN
ESPN 2
ESPN News

Palladia
SciFi
TBS
TLC
TNT
Travel Channel
USA

Weather Channel

Bolded are channels that I frequently watch... when I get older and on my own this would be a great deal for me as a Teenager still. I'm not a big movie person... I have my 360 for entertainment... so this is a great package for me.

spam firewall