Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Another round of PBS HD this week?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Piratefan98

Piratefan98

Icon

• Registered
  • 685 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:14 AM

Just curious whether there are any new local PBS HD's expected this week.

Harrisburg DMA, in particular. :)

Jeff

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

Jeff

Satelliteracer said no more HD in 2008, but he wasn't clear on whether that included locals or not.

#3 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:37 AM

I would expect another round of PBS HD LiL launches tomorrow, but I will not know until late tonight when they start updating the locals lookup pages at directv.com.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#4 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:38 AM

Jeff

Harrisburg is scheduled to come after West Palm Beach which is now first on the list. Well, at least in my book it is :)

#5 OFFLINE   dbsdave

dbsdave

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

It will be a crime if boston, the bedrock of pbs, does not have a pbs hd channel by xmas.

#6 OFFLINE   iceturkee

iceturkee

DINFOS Trained Killer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,105 posts
  • Locationdaytona beach, fl

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:21 AM

satracer said no more national hd this month.

#7 OFFLINE   katzeye

katzeye

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

He said, no more national HD launches this year.

#8 OFFLINE   bwaldron

bwaldron

Impossible Dreamer

• Registered
  • 5,517 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:24 PM

How is that relevant to this thread?

HR23-700 --> Samsung UN65F6350AF LCD
HR23-700 --> JVC JLC47BC3002 LCD
H24-200 -->
Panasonic TH-50PX60U plasma

#9 OFFLINE   man_rob

man_rob

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:30 PM

This is what he said, copied and pasted from the other thread:

No new HD in 2008.

1/1/2009 MLB Network will launch

About a week later you'll see another channel launch.

Another one that was supposed to go up in December got delayed until March because they aren't ready yet with their infrastructure, but that's coming.

Others are scheduled in early 2009, but 2008 is done for national HD launches. Some more local launches coming up in January as well.

#10 OFFLINE   jpitlick

jpitlick

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:19 PM

It will be a crime if boston, the bedrock of pbs, does not have a pbs hd channel by xmas.

I miss WGBH. I went to school in the Boston area.

HR20-700 attached via HDMI to an Onkyo TX-SR605S connected via HDMI to a Sony KDF-42WE655 42" Grand Vega Rear Projection LCD
H21-100 attached via HDMI to Sceptre X246W-1080P 24" LCD and attached via S-Video to Windows 7 PC w/Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600
HR22-100 attached via HDMI to a ProScan 32LB30Q 32" LCD
SWM-8/STS-4
SlimLine Dish w/SL5 LNB
All receviers connected to gigabit switches and 25/25 Mbps FiOS

#11 OFFLINE   T_N_T

T_N_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

I miss WGBH. I went to school in the Boston area.

Don't they say something of the effect of "this program provided by WGBH Boston" and "Viewers Like You" after some PBS programs? It would be odd for them not to have one of the main PBS stations in HD on D*.

I would consider WBGH/WTTW to be the "flagships" of the PBS, if there are ones, as they both produce content for PBS.

#12 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:01 PM

Jeff

I agree.. I would really like to see WITF added to D* in HD. The PBS stations that D* is adding, are they the local PBS station feeds or the PBS HD feeds?

Our local PBS station has their local digital feed (of their analog channel programming) on 33.1 and the PBS HD feed on 33.3. This is supposedly combining into one channel soon, as the national PBS HD feed goes away.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#13 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,936 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 16 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

I agree.. I would really like to see WITF added to D* in HD. The PBS stations that D* is adding, are they the local PBS station feeds or the PBS HD feeds?

Our local PBS station has their local digital feed (of their analog channel programming) on 33.1 and the PBS HD feed on 33.3. This is supposedly combining into one channel soon, as the national PBS HD feed goes away.

I doubt if they will upconvert SD for those PBS stations which haven't yet converted to HD, so you may have to wait.

We have two PBS stations in the Seattle-Tacoma DMA. KCTS integrated HD into the main digital subchannel in September, so I suspect it will be carried soon (although I receive it fine OTA). KBTC has yet to show any HD, as far as I can tell. Directv is using their digital signal for the SD channel and it is an improvement over the analog signal, but still not HD of course.

I recall seeing in one of the early announcements that only one HD PBS station will be carried in any market.

#14 OFFLINE   rajeshh

rajeshh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 05:59 PM

KCTS integrated HD into the main digital subchannel in September, so I suspect it will be carried soon (although I receive it fine OTA). KBTC has yet to show any HD, as far as I can tell. Directv is using their digital signal for the SD channel and it is an improvement over the analog signal, but still not HD of course.

I recall seeing in one of the early announcements that only one HD PBS station will be carried in any market.

Anyone know when will DirecTV pick up KCTS in HD?

#15 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,936 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

Well, they are picking it up in HD and center-cutting the picture for the SD satellite channel (which is why the bug says HD). The real question is when will Directv broadcast the HD channel (also KSTW and KONG). The transponder lists show both of these as test channels, so it appears that it is still in the plans. I doubt we will get any definitive word until it happens, or shortly before.

I suspect that this week they are more concerned about keeping up with the locals which have changed their digital broadcast frequency (AFAIK, the only Seattle station to do this was KWPX (Ion) and it still shows up).

spam firewall