Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Swm Lnbs Do Not Like The Cold

• Please log in to reply
195 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   urnote96

urnote96

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:11 AM

up here in north dakota, we have determined that the SWM LNBS cannot take the cold.

We put up a NEW LNB in the place of the cold one and it worked fine, than let the COLD lnb warm up and replaced it for NEW LNB and it worked fine. Than we placed the NEW LNB in the snow for 30 minutes and NOW it doesnt work at all. Numerous techs have had customers call them saying there SWM systems are not working.

ANY COMMENTS?
Exede Installer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:36 AM

This is the first I've heard of it. In fact a friend I know is currently using his SWM and it's about 6° at his house.

Could you provide more testing results?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   idigg

idigg

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:43 AM

Yes, please more info. It's -5 here in Milwaukee with windchill, and I was planning on installing my SWM LNB over the holidays.
HR21-700
HR22-100
H21-100
---------
AM21 for sale $38 shipped (PM ME)

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:51 AM

up here in north dakota, we have determined that the SWM LNBS cannot take the cold.

We put up a NEW LNB in the place of the cold one and it worked fine, than let the COLD lnb warm up and replaced it for NEW LNB and it worked fine. Than we placed the NEW LNB in the snow for 30 minutes and NOW it doesnt work at all. Numerous techs have had customers call them saying there SWM systems are not working.

ANY COMMENTS?

What is the temperature? One thing to consider is that as temperature decreases, the attenuation in the cabling increases making it more difficult for the signal to reach your receiver. Do you have long cable runs with much of the cable outside?
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

One thing to consider is that as temperature decreases, the attenuation in the cabling increases making it more difficult for the signal to reach your receiver.

Doug, what is the science behind this statement? It doesn't make sense to me that as a conductor cools, the resistance (attenuation) goes up. I believe the temperature coefficient of the electrical resistance of a copper conductor is a positive number. In other words, as the temperature goes up, the resistance goes up and vice versa.

#6 OFFLINE   Wolly Bugger

Wolly Bugger

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

I live up here in Alaska and we've never had a problem with our LNB in the cold. We've had spells of -5 to -10, and consistent temeperatures (a week at a time, say) of 0 to 5 degrees. My LNB hasn't given me problems in the two winters I've had it.

Then again, when it's cold I give it a couple shots of Wild Turkey to warm it up. Does the trick for me, should do the trick for the LNB, right?!

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,927 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

Doug, what is the science behind this statement? It doesn't make sense to me that as a conductor cools, the resistance (attenuation) goes up. I believe the temperature coefficient of the electrical resistance of a copper conductor is a positive number. In other words, as the temperature goes up, the resistance goes up and vice versa.

OK, maybe not science, but I did read this at one of the cable manufacturers sites:

Superior Essex

Excellent cold temperature performance is often taken for granted by users of Superior Essex cable products but it should not be overlooked if one is considering cable products from other manufacturers. Industry standards specify cold performance at -20° C, a temperature which is well above the low temperature in many parts of the Northern states and Canada. A failure of a cable that merely meets industry standards would manifest itself as a jacket/insulation crack or a voltage failure, both of which could result in service problems.

-20° C is of course -4° F
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:45 AM

4 degrees here this morning and still running..
Water I would expect to be the biggest problem..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#9 OFFLINE   xrobmn

xrobmn

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

-15 degrees F and -33 wind chill.. working great!

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:52 AM

OK, maybe not science, but I did read this at one of the cable manufacturers sites:

Superior Essex

This seems to be more of a "pro our product" than science.
While my experience wasn't with RG6, I have spent years temp testing to much greater temps [+ & -] and lower temps have always given better performance and higher have given worse.
As to the OP's experience, I wonder if there is a poor solder joint in the SWM, as these can cause this type of problem.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:11 PM

what brand lnbs are doing it? eagle aspen or WNC?

#12 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:18 PM

No problems here so far but then again it's only been around the 20s here in NYC.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#13 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:27 PM

Is it the LNB? Or the multiswitch?

I've been having trouble here in Denver since Sunday when the temps plummeted to 0. I had a multiswitch failure a couple of years ago when the temps were really cold, too.

No science, though. Strictly observation.

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,953 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

Is it the LNB? Or the multiswitch?

I've been having trouble here in Denver since Sunday when the temps plummeted to 0. I had a multiswitch failure a couple of years ago when the temps were really cold, too.

No science, though. Strictly observation.

This is a "SWM LNB", so there is a fair amount of electronics in it.
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

Superior Essex

yes Cracked shielding or jacket could be a problem I would expect copper clad steel to be more an issue than solid copper . (Two Different metals)
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#16 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:10 PM

This seems to be more of a "pro our product" than science.
While my experience wasn't with RG6, I have spent years temp testing to much greater temps [+ & -] and lower temps have always given better performance and higher have given worse.
As to the OP's experience, I wonder if there is a poor solder joint in the SWM, as these can cause this type of problem.

VOS,

Come on you know when it gets cold the signals are stiff and can't move as fast. :)

#17 OFFLINE   VAman

VAman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:15 PM

-15 degrees F and -33 wind chill.. working great!

While wind chill sure makes us humans uncomfortable, it has no effect on electronics, cables, etc.

"Because wind chill is based on removing heat from the human body, there is no wind chill for inanimate objects, such as car radiators and water pipes. However, there is a faster heat loss with increasing winds, so the amount of time for an object to cool to the actual air temperature is less. Regardless, the inanimate object cannot not cool below the actual air temperature. Thus, if the temperature outside is -5 degrees Fahrenheit and the wind chill temperature is -31 degrees Fahrenheit, then your car's radiator will not drop lower than -5 degrees Fahrenheit."
Plain vanilla setup....5LNB + HR23-700 connected via HDMI to a 37" Vizio HDTV. DirecTV customer since 1996.

#18 OFFLINE   urnote96

urnote96

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

i called ISS and they are reporting the same thing. They told me numerous techs have called in....WE had a jump in service over the weekend during our blizzard with windchills of -30 to -45 below. Actually temperaure this morning was -15F.

I have had techs call from all over the upper midwest that i know different DMA's different companys. Right now we are using the WNC's maybe they are the problem.

Every tech has had 3-4 customers call them and say their standards work fine but HD and HDDVR no luck.
Exede Installer

#19 OFFLINE   dcshobby

dcshobby

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 05:19 PM

i called ISS and they are reporting the same thing. They told me numerous techs have called in....WE had a jump in service over the weekend during our blizzard with windchills of -30 to -45 below. Actually temperaure this morning was -15F.

I have had techs call from all over the upper midwest that i know different DMA's different companys. Right now we are using the WNC's maybe they are the problem.

Every tech has had 3-4 customers call them and say their standards work fine but HD and HDDVR no luck.

I also just had Directv installed on saturday and it worked fine until monday. Then it just went crazy. The HD DVR wouldn't see the signal but the standards would and I reset everything numerous times and then the standards would drop for awhile. My installer said he has been getting lots of calls back as well about the SWM's not working in the cold. When he installed it it was fine but it was 35 degrees with no wind. Then the temps dropped below zero with -35 degree wind chills and the problems started.

If anyone has ANY updates to this, I would love to know so I can let me tech know so we can get my service back up! I've never been without TV this long. I switched from Charter which never went down so I'm not used to this. If anyone else has this problem, post here and everyone call Directv. Thanks!

#20 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 851 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

My SWM-8 went through -15 temps last winter without a hitch.

Steve

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...