Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Satellite internet

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Shawnn

Shawnn

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:43 AM

I have customer that wants satellite internet at his cabin. I have looked at direct way with a download speed (Up To) 2.0 Mbps, Upload speed (Up To) 128 Kbps. and it’s not fast enough for him. I was wondering if there are any other options or providers with higher speed.

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:07 AM

I believe Hughesnet (formerly DirecWay) is the only satellite internet provider around. Even if you could find another, I doubt you'll be able to find one with very high bandwidth.

Your other option if traditional terrestrial options aren't available in his area is a wireless carrier's internet, but there again you won't find the bandwidth to be higher than 2mbps down.

http://www.wireless....es/pc-cards.jsp

#3 OFFLINE   Shawnn

Shawnn

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the information, just wanted to make sure I was not missing another provider. How do you find the speed of your Satellite internet?

#4 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:02 PM

You mean once you have satellite internet? You could go to a bandwidth testing website like www.speedtest.net.

#5 OFFLINE   dpfaunts

dpfaunts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

FYI, the latency with satellite internet access can cause issues. VPN will react slower than dial-up and voip probably won't work
Darryle

HR24-100 HDMI Samsung 85687W
HR22-100 Component Samsung HLN4365W
HR21-700 HDMI Vizio SV370XVT
HR20-100 SVID Panasonic CRT
SLIMLINE (SL3) SWM
DirecTV 8/98

#6 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

Wildblue offers up to 1.5Mbps down. Not sure if they serve Canada or not.
HughesNet offers up to 5.0Mbps down. I think they also serve Canada. However that 5 down will set you back $349.99 (not a typo) PER MONTH.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 02:41 PM

Satellite Internet is neither fast nor cheap, and it's a high-latency connection, so most VPN doesn't work, and neither does on-line gaming, VOIP, or anything else that's time-sensitive.

It's faster than dial-up, but that's about the only advantage. It is for folks who don't have any other options, but it'll never compete with wired (or WiFi) connections.

#8 OFFLINE   Shawnn

Shawnn

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the information, just wanted to make sure I was not missing another provider. How do you find the speed of your Satellite internet?

No, how do you find the speed as in using it. Is it fast for basic browsing and Email.

#9 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:33 PM

I looked in to satellite internet for my home but, for the speed and the 60 bucks a month, I decided to go with verizion cellular broadband. Of course, I only use my laptop and have not looked into running a home network with it. If it could be done my guess is that cut my speed down alot.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#10 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:27 AM

No, how do you find the speed as in using it. Is it fast for basic browsing and Email.

Sorry, I don't use it.

#11 OFFLINE   kaszeta

kaszeta

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

Satellite internet user weighing in here.

I have Wildblue, since I live in "the sticks" in New Hampshire, and satellite and modem are the only options here unless I want to spend the $$$ for a T1.

The key thing is that the metric here is "better than dialup". I find my satellite connection is decent for email and basic browsing, although the latency issue is sometimes an issue.

Things that don't work:
(a) VPNs and VOIP are painfully slow due to the latency
(B) Online gaming is mostly not doable
© Uplink bandwidth is low, making uploading a pain.
(d) Bandwidth limits (aka Fair Access Policy) make it difficult to do a lot of high-bandwidth stuff. I'm usually pretty close to triggering the bandwidth limits on my wildblue account, and I'm not exactly a heavy web user. I'll download basic software upgrades, the occasional PS3 update, and some light music downloading, and that's about it.

It *is* waaaaaaay better than dialup (I do usually get 1 mbps downlink, about the same uplink rate as my modem, but with the latency issues). I'm not a fan, but unless Comcast or Fairpoint are willing to pull the sticks out of their %%$#$s, it's what I'm stuck with.

#12 OFFLINE   Shawnn

Shawnn

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:05 PM

Satellite internet user weighing in here.

I have Wildblue, since I live in "the sticks" in New Hampshire, and satellite and modem are the only options here unless I want to spend the $$$ for a T1.

The key thing is that the metric here is "better than dialup". I find my satellite connection is decent for email and basic browsing, although the latency issue is sometimes an issue.

Things that don't work:
(a) VPNs and VOIP are painfully slow due to the latency
(B) Online gaming is mostly not doable
© Uplink bandwidth is low, making uploading a pain.
(d) Bandwidth limits (aka Fair Access Policy) make it difficult to do a lot of high-bandwidth stuff. I'm usually pretty close to triggering the bandwidth limits on my wildblue account, and I'm not exactly a heavy web user. I'll download basic software upgrades, the occasional PS3 update, and some light music downloading, and that's about it.

It *is* waaaaaaay better than dialup (I do usually get 1 mbps downlink, about the same uplink rate as my modem, but with the latency issues). I'm not a fan, but unless Comcast or Fairpoint are willing to pull the sticks out of their %%$#$s, it's what I'm stuck with.

Thanks for the info

#13 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:40 AM

I'd like to resurrect this thread from the dead as I am now considering Hughesnet or some satellite ISP. My only other option is mobile broadband from AT&T--I can see their tower from my house, but they don't have 3G in this area and it may be a long time until they get it on all their towers around here.

Given that my options are the older-technology AT&T broadband (with a 5 gig/month cap) or Hughesnet, what do you guys think? I'm only concerned with general web surfing and email, not downloading music or game play, although we may stay connected for a few hours per day.

#14 OFFLINE   fineware

fineware

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:57 AM

Satellite internet user weighing in here...

I have HughesNet, and I'll second everything added here, with some additions:

1. Bandwidth limitations are a pain to track, especially when your kid comes home from college expecting she can YouTube all day.

2. The speeds advertised are generally correct for the period between 2 and 7am on HughesNet (which is also the FAP-free period). Hughes has loaded almost every transponder to the limit and your speed degrades with each account using it. I have a plan that tops out at approx. 192MB, but goes to about 20Mb during peak hours, such as 8pm - extremely annoying.

The next best alternative is using G3 WiFi via your wireless, if coverage is available. I'm really in the sticks (no cell, no cable, no FiOS, and poor phone lines) so I'm stuck. Others might have alternatives.

#15 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:06 AM

1. Bandwidth limitations are a pain to track, especially when your kid comes home from college expecting she can YouTube all day.

2. The speeds advertised are generally correct for the period between 2 and 7am on HughesNet (which is also the FAP-free period). Hughes has loaded almost every transponder to the limit and your speed degrades with each account using it. I have a plan that tops out at approx. 192MB, but goes to about 20Mb during peak hours, such as 8pm - extremely annoying.

The next best alternative is using G3 WiFi via your wireless, if coverage is available. I'm really in the sticks (no cell, no cable, no FiOS, and poor phone lines) so I'm stuck. Others might have alternatives.

Thanks for the info. 20Mb would not annoy me when compared with 28.8kb that I get on dial-up.

As I said, AT&T 3G is not available here yet, it is "Edge" I think--does anyone know what kind of speed you get from that?

#16 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:10 AM

Look at Starband. They got a bad rap for a while, but they've been stable for me. They're in the process of moving most subscribers to a new satellite to address traffic and speed concerns. BW cap is a rolling 7 day window of 1Gb, so if you go over, you can clear it without waiting a whole month. BW is not metered between 12M and 6AM is you have any big files to download or programs to update.

Prices aren't great, but not as bad as some.

Plus, if it won't get me slapped around too much on this board, I could use the referral bonus.

Edited by SayWhat?, 05 August 2009 - 06:22 AM.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#17 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:13 AM

I would also look into Wildblue. I recently got certified and from what I can see they do run a tight ship technically.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#18 OFFLINE   txtommy

txtommy

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:20 AM

+1

As long as you just do email and basic surfing there should be sufficient BW and speed to keep you happy. With two teenagers on our home network who insist on downloading videos, photos and music, I am in a constant battle to avoid the FAP and ultra slow download rates. They do manage to go over about once a week which results in a 24 painfully slow penalty from Hughesnet.

But it is better than dial-up which is our only other option.
“People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” -- Rogers Hornsby

#19 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:52 AM

I recently got introduced to Skycasters. Primarily targeted to commercial applications, but they do have VoIP, VPN and Fax applications working with their service.

Expensive, but if it is your only option....

Kevin

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#20 OFFLINE   kaszeta

kaszeta

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:01 AM

I would also look into Wildblue. I recently got certified and from what I can see they do run a tight ship technically.

Technically the Wildblue guys seemed good, but boy, they had a lot of hardware problems in the years I had them. Several TRIA replacements, and coming to accept that the TRIAS doen't really work well in cold weather or in the rain (I'm not talking rain fade, the TRIA getting wet would cause problems, so I ended up building a little roof extension over my dish)

A few weeks ago I finally (for several $K) managed to get Comcast to pull cable to my property, and ditching Wildblue was a happy, happy moment.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...