Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Satellite internet

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

It's been a little over a year since I stopped installing Hughesnet. I stopped shortly after they went live with Spaceway 3 (at 95w I think). Thats what/where all new customers were pointed. It has/had a considerably larger amount of bandwith than the other sats scattered across the sky. So in that regard, speeds should be fairly consistant.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:57 AM

wildblue is opening new beams next week on AMC 15 and is launching a new satellite next year i believe.

they have a new modem design and are starting to ship a new design tria. even the current tria resolved the problems the original tria had.

the most common causes now for a bad tria are poor l-o-s and a mispointed dish.

wildblue is a good service; better than dialup.

not as good as a wireless card from the cell phone company.

the download speeds are as advertised, but the latency can make general browsing painfully slow (when you're used to dsl/cable).

#23 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

My wife is wanting the AT&T wireless.

Remember, we don't have 3G wireless in this area--our system is what AT&T calls "Edge."

From what I can see on the web, Hughesnet at its slowest is faster than Edge.

Comments?

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#24 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:19 PM

My wife is wanting the AT&T wireless.

Remember, we don't have 3G wireless in this area--our system is what AT&T calls "Edge."

From what I can see on the web, Hughesnet at its slowest is faster than Edge.

Comments?

i googled for data about edge.

according to at&t's website, 'edge' runs at 75-135Kbps.

At those speeds, I would definitely go w/ satellite internet. wild blue's 'value pack' is around $55/mo, and that gives you 512Kbps downstream.

The only benefit of you going w/ the at&t network is that you can take it w/ you if you have a laptop.

#25 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 08:36 PM

I tell people to avoid satellite internet unless it is the only option (other than dialup). I have installed it and used it. I give HughesNet a slight edge over the other services.

#26 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:19 AM

Yesterday on the way home from work I stopped at the AT&T store and signed up for mobile broadband with a PC card. I know that satellite would be faster but my wife decided we didn't want another dish and another cable coming into the house.

Since she will be the primary user, I gave in to her wishes, especially since I can back out within three days and pay nothing, or back out within 30 days and not pay much.

The good news is, the AT&T mobile broadband is plenty fast enough. At work we have seven DSL lines, but since they are split between 30 or so devices, it's not as fast as it could be--the AT&T wireless broadband loads web pages almost as fast as the broadband I'm used to.

So far, so good.

#27 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for the info. 20Mb would not annoy me when compared with 28.8kb that I get on dial-up.

As I said, AT&T 3G is not available here yet, it is "Edge" I think--does anyone know what kind of speed you get from that?

I'm shocked right now, I was curious myself, so I turned off wifi on my iPhone and went outside, as soon as I walked out my door I had a full bar 3G connection, as I walked down the driveway the service started deteriorating, down by the mail box I had a full bar Edge connection. Now, inside my house I get nothing, I'm stuck at No Service most of the time. Here's my speed test results on the iPhone on AT&T's Data Network using the NYC speed test server from the speedtest.net app.

AT&T Edge
Posted Image

AT&T 3G
Posted Image

Road Runner Turbo w/Power Boost
Posted Image
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#28 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

Now, inside my house I get nothing, I'm stuck at No Service most of the time.

Have you considered a cell phone repeater?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#29 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,802 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:25 PM

I have considerable experience with Starband and limited experience with Wildblue. Wildblue is far and away the cheapest but often quite slow. Starband has become relatively reliable but their e-mail server is often blacklisted. Needing a computer on all of the time to route the satellite connection sucks.

Wireless may be expensive but the absence of lag can be quite attractive.

#30 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

I have considerable experience with Starband

Needing a computer on all of the time to route the satellite connection sucks.

Not necessary with the new modems that came out about 2 years ago.

#31 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

Have you considered a cell phone repeater?

Yes, but once I saw the cost I said screw it. If someone wants to contact me bad enough they can leave me a voice mail or call the home phone.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Down With Verizon!

#32 OFFLINE   Zellio

Zellio

Icon

• Banned User
  • 643 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:43 PM

I'm shocked right now, I was curious myself, so I turned off wifi on my iPhone and went outside, as soon as I walked out my door I had a full bar 3G connection, as I walked down the driveway the service started deteriorating, down by the mail box I had a full bar Edge connection. Now, inside my house I get nothing, I'm stuck at No Service most of the time. Here's my speed test results on the iPhone on AT&T's Data Network using the NYC speed test server from the speedtest.net app.

AT&T Edge
Posted Image

AT&T 3G
Posted Image

Road Runner Turbo w/Power Boost
Posted Image

at&t's 3g service is at it's WORST in NY. People I know have it drop with FULL BARS while walking in manhattan.

At&ts 3g service is alot better in the west and southeast. I usually get close to 3 megs on hsdpa.

Hopefully they will upgrade your area some more soon....

#33 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:33 AM

Personally I'd rather have more consistent 3G coverage then faster speeds. I mean there's only so much you can do on an iPhone as opposed to a real computer, but having Edge speeds is just painful. Prior to the iPhone you'd see almost no one with AT&T Wireless service here in Upstate NY. When I get a laptop, I'll more then likely sign up for Sprint Mobile Broadband service. With that, I will have three ways to access the internet, one short of my goal.
Down With Verizon!

#34 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:36 AM

Yes, but once I saw the cost I said screw it. If someone wants to contact me bad enough they can leave me a voice mail or call the home phone.

I was referring to using it for internet if possible. I got one from SolidSignal for about $150 or so that boosts my in house signal to at least 3 bars instead of none.

#35 OFFLINE   hokie-dk

hokie-dk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:10 AM

I have both Hughesnet (HN7000S modem - Professional Plus Service) and Verizon Wireless (UM175 USB modem). I'm cancelling the Hughesnet service in two weeks when my commitment is up. I don't care what the advertised speeds are, all I know is that Verizon blows Hughesnet away. It's also cheaper. Hughesnet is better than dial-up, but not by much. As stated by others, anything time sensitive will not work - gaming, VPN, VOIP, etc. From their web site:

There are activities that are not recommended for use with a Satellite Connection.

1.VPNs. VPNs do not work well over satellite. You may use a VPN with HughesNet® plans, but you will likely experience reduced speeds by as much as 50–75%. You can restore your connection to full speed by simply disabling your VPN client when your session is over. Note: HughesNet Technical Support does not provide help with configuring or troubleshooting problems associated with VPN clients.
2.Twitch Games. Time-sensitive applications that require fractions-of-a-second user inputs (such as multi-player “twitch” games or real-time equities trading) are not recommended with HughesNet due to latency issues. Latency refers to the amount of time it takes a packet of data to travel across a network. With satellite service, that data must travel up to the satellite and back (about 45,000 miles). This round trip adds about a half-second delay to the total time your computer takes to communicate with a Website or host server.
3.Heavy downloading. The HughesNet Home Service plan is not recommended for heavy downloading. The Elite Service Plans are faster and can handle heavier downloads. Note however that the Fair Access Policy (FAP) applies.
4.VoIP. Voice over IP doesn’t work well with satellite due to the latency issues mentioned above.
5.Video Streaming. Video streaming does not work well with satellite due to the latency issues mentioned above.

ViP622 - Software: L635 - Single Mode HDTV - Sony KDF-E60A20 using component connection through Sony Receiver: HT-6900DP
ViP722k - Software: L685 - Dual Mode HDTV - Sony KVL-46W5100 using component connection & SDTV- Sony KV27FV300
DP1000 Antenna

#36 OFFLINE   tedb3rd

tedb3rd

Godfather

• Registered
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:22 AM

Regarding 3G... I just made the switch from Wildblue to AT&T a few months ago. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! You have to do some research though re: AT&T (or any carrier's) 3G coverage. If you look at AT&T's coverage map, we are not in a service area for 3G but we still get it. It's a weak signal so I had to install an external antenna. ...Just because it's a tower, doesn't mean that your carrier is on it--nor does it mean that they have 3G on that antenna. (Our closest AT&T tower is line-of-site, but it does not have 3G)... The speed is much better, more reliable in rainy weather, and the latency is essentially null.

I got a cradlepoint 3G router and we run two computers at the same time (surfing internet) and the connection is more than adequate. If using just one computer, I get download speeds comparable to DSL.

It's awesome. Highly recommended over satellite if you can get 3G.

#37 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:28 PM

I was referring to using it for internet if possible. I got one from SolidSignal for about $150 or so that boosts my in house signal to at least 3 bars instead of none.

Gotchya, but I have no real use for 3G access in my house. I have my 15Mb Road Runner connection that I share with my computers and wirelessly on the iPhone. When I got my first cell phone, I priced out repeaters and they were in the $300-$400 range, but these were for Nextel which operates on the 850MHz frequency, so that might have had some impact on the price.
Down With Verizon!

#38 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

I have verizon mobile broadband and it works great.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#39 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:43 PM

You should only ever consider Satellite internet if you have access to NOTHING else.
That said, it's much better than dial up. With regard to tracking the FAP, WildBlue recently added a sort of "customer portal" where a subscriber can see and track their usage. When I have a customer considering satellite internet, I suggest they consider dropping their home phone (if it's only there for the dial up anyhow) to justify the cost. In most cases that scenario will save the customer money every month, and they are taking advantage of a faster connection.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#40 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:17 PM

See for yourself the happy customers

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sat

Protected By... spam firewall...And...