Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DVR from solidsignal.com

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:50 PM

I just recently purchased a R16 DVR from solidsignal.com. It was an open box item without an access card and great price! However D* says they cant activate it or send an access card for it because it is leased and still attached to "there" account:( I called solidsignal because according to directv they need to straighten things out so i can order an access card and enjoy my great found deal! I have to wait until tommorrow for the lady that handles the directv receivers to call me back. My question is what are the chances this actually gets straightened out and i can enjoy this dvr??

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

Roadrunner,

They will be able to fix it.........maybe. Expect to pay DTV $20.00 for a new card. Do you know the recorder will work? Are you ok on the other stuff associated with a recorder? That model will not work with the single wire multiswitch equipment so you should plan for two cables to serve the recorder.

Solidsignal is a good company and won't leave you hanging but you may end up with more questions.

Joe

#3 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:52 PM

Joe thanks for the quick response, I already knew an access card would be 20 bucks but im still saving $40 over the price of a new one even with the price of the dvr. Im fairly sure it works i already hooked it up and it booted up fine, also are you sure it's not swm capable because under the sat 1 input it says (SWM-2) just like my HR22 and I hope it is as Im getting ready to install a SWM LNB very soon?!!

#4 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,106 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:09 PM

The R16 will work with a SWM.

#5 OFFLINE   idigg

idigg

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:28 AM

I bought a new OEM brown boxed no cable H21-100 from a guy on craigslist for $75 shipped, got access card and all. Called DirecTV and activated it within 3minutes.

6 months ago, I bought a new HR21-700 from a guy on craigslist for $100, no issues.

Am I lucky? It sucks when you go the "safe" route with solidsignal and you can't activate the receiver...
HR21-700
HR22-100
H21-100
---------
AM21 for sale $38 shipped (PM ME)

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:30 AM

If D* says it is a leased receiver Solid Signal should have to get it back from you and return it to D* to clear the account. I doubt that they are a large enough dealer to pull strings with D* and get the receiver cleared. The fact they are a good company I would expect they will replace that leased receiver with a new leased receiver that you can activate and start a new 24 mo. contract.

#7 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

Joe thanks for the quick response, I already knew an access card would be 20 bucks but im still saving $40 over the price of a new one even with the price of the dvr. Im fairly sure it works i already hooked it up and it booted up fine, also are you sure it's not swm capable because under the sat 1 input it says (SWM-2) just like my HR22 and I hope it is as Im getting ready to install a SWM LNB very soon?!!

I stand corrected........thanks Bob........R 16 = OK with the SWM; added to my notes.

The issue that comes up with used receivers is where it has been and who used it. DTV wants to satisfy themselves that you are not the previous owner. Also there is apparently a list of legacy equipment they do not want to re activate.

Joe

#8 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:01 PM

I bought a new OEM brown boxed no cable H21-100 from a guy on craigslist for $75 shipped, got access card and all. Called DirecTV and activated it within 3minutes.

6 months ago, I bought a new HR21-700 from a guy on craigslist for $100, no issues.

Am I lucky? It sucks when you go the "safe" route with solidsignal and you can't activate the receiver...

Those "no cable" receivers go out in bulk through the HSP system. Watch out for the black helicopters! They know when you are sleeping. They know when you're awake.....So...

Joe

#9 OFFLINE   idigg

idigg

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 12:09 PM

Those "no cable" receivers go out in bulk through the HSP system. Watch out for the black helicopters! They know when you are sleeping. They know when you're awake.....So...

Joe

Does that mean somone that works for a HSP sold this "under the table"? Nice :eek2:
HR21-700
HR22-100
H21-100
---------
AM21 for sale $38 shipped (PM ME)

#10 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:05 PM

Well the lady called me back and said to throw the receiver out the window or use it for a door stop because directv will not activate it! She was very helpful and they gave me a full refund for what i paid so im not out anything. I asked her if they needed it back and she said no so i figure ill just order a new one from them and keep this one in case D* wants it back but when i called them they said it was never activated on my account so i couldn't be charged for it but that remains to be seen!! I have to give solid signal props for handling this issue quick and getting it resolved fast!

#11 OFFLINE   JLucPicard

JLucPicard

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,983 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

The question I've had through this whole thing is - how in the heck did SolidSignal wind up with an open box DVR without an access card in the first place? Was it just an old display model that they were no longer using (seems strange they would be selling it in that case, given DirecTV's leasing policy anyway)? Was it a unit returned by a dissatisfied customer under some "extended warranty" like Best Buy sells on these?

I know people here probably won't know the answer, but that's something that's bugged me this whole time.

#12 OFFLINE   roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:33 PM

I wondered the same thing before i even order it and called solid signal and they never said. The only thing the lady told me before i ordered it was i would have to call D* and order an access card once i got the receiver. I figured it would be fine since they are a legit company and i couldnt pass up a $30 DVR. I still cant use the dvr but i was still happy with the way they handled everything and i just order a new one so i know i wont run into this problem again! They actually have a HR22 open box on there website right now for sale but i believe that one comes with an access card because the description doesnt say it doesnt, and the R16 i purchased the description said it didnt come with one.

#13 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:08 PM

The question I've had through this whole thing is - how in the heck did SolidSignal wind up with an open box DVR without an access card in the first place? Was it just an old display model that they were no longer using (seems strange they would be selling it in that case, given DirecTV's leasing policy anyway)? Was it a unit returned by a dissatisfied customer under some "extended warranty" like Best Buy sells on these?

Very likely one of the two. The issue is that Solid Signal, who by now should definitely know better, tried to treat this leased receiver the same way they would treat an owned one, but as we know, that doesn't work. Leased receivers can't be directly transferred from one account to another, period, per policy. Only owned receivers can, and even then, you need a new access card.

#14 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:16 PM

I've very surprised:

1) that DIRECTV couldn't/wouldn't clear that account so that it would be leased again,
2) that it now is trash for disposal rather than leasable by someone/anyone. (I'd be scared by that one.)

As for the access card, I can understand how it might be without one--vendors need to keep access cards that were once used (return them to DIRECTV?) This lends credence that it was a used unit, but might have been an internal unit for some use.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#15 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:12 PM

I've very surprised:

1) that DIRECTV couldn't/wouldn't clear that account so that it would be leased again,
2) that it now is trash for disposal rather than leasable by someone/anyone. (I'd be scared by that one.)

That's understandable, but you're looking at it at a very low level (one receiver). DirecTV looks at it as a corporate policy covering millions of receivers. As you scale up, the financial benefit of making lots of individual exceptions to your corporate policy become lower and lower, until it result in a loss. The system is designed to work for 99% of the situations likely to be encountered, and the 1% or so that it doesn't work for is considered acceptable loss, and written off.

It might take 2-3 man-hours of CSR/admin time to "walk" a rogue receiver though the process that it would take to put it back in play. A used DVR just isn't worth that much to DirecTV.

#16 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

Actually, I don't think I'm being that naive. If the records show the receiver to exist, on Solidsignal's account, then it should only take a moment to move the receiver to a new account--especially if a SolidSignal representative calls it in.

This is not an exception--DIRECTV should be able to handle a vendor to user transaction all the time. Especially open box.

Also remember, DIRECTV reclaims units all the time. So this should fall into either a re-lease on the spot or reclaim the unit category no matter what.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

Actually, I don't think I'm being that naive. If the records show the receiver to exist, on Solidsignal's account, then it should only take a moment to move the receiver to a new account--especially if a SolidSignal representative calls it in.

This is not an exception--DIRECTV should be able to handle a vendor to user transaction all the time. Especially open box.

Also remember, DIRECTV reclaims units all the time. So this should fall into either a re-lease on the spot or reclaim the unit category no matter what.

Peace,
Tom

I know Directv has moved business accounts to personal one before, for a fact...

#18 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 08:58 PM

They should be consistent most of the time.

Joe

#19 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

Peace,
Tom

But you're forgetting that DirecTV has a PROCESS for putting a receiver back into the wild, and that process involves the receiver being returned to the one processing center in the country, and being processed by the folks there. Most CSRs won't have access to the parts of the system that this particular center uses to "recycle" the receivers. So, a regular CSR might have to call that center, wait on hold through two levels of management in order to get this exception approved, and then be handed off to a tech to manually do the process.

That's my point: DirecTV has built work-flows based on their business rules, and they use their master computer system to enforce those rules. A big part of that is limiting certain functions to specific departments, which enhances security/reduces fraud, and keeps business functions where they were designed to be.

I worked for a credit card company, and was in charge of crisis management (i.e., getting the computer systems back up and running when something broke). We had 14,000 reps in various departments, from Customer Service to Collections, in 12 call centers across the country. Occasionally, some customer would find a way around the system and end up in the wrong place, and it usually ended up eating a dozen man-hours trying to get the wrong people to solve a problem that the right person could have done in 10 minutes.

If you've never dealt with a big company with geographically-distributed call centers, a lot of the processes don't make sense until you see an "exception" throw the system into chaos... :lol:

#20 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:31 PM

So this should default into the "return the unit" category. Again this is not that abnormal a thing. Just think of all the units on ebay that shouldn't be. :)

Go Packers!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...