Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tailgate Setup

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bootsy

bootsy

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 08:47 AM

I just wanted to show off my setup from the recent Pats- Steelers game.
I laid down a small towel on the roof of the minivan and put down a 25lbs free weight. I then anchored down the tripod to the weight and leveled it off. The TV and DVR were already on and hooked up to an inverter attached to the battery. As soon as i put on the dish and spun it in the right direction i received a 90% signal and we were on our way to watching the early games. :D

If you didn't guess, i'm the Steeler fan living in Patriot country. Needless to say, I had a great time that day.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bnglbill

bnglbill

Icon

• Registered
  • 767 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:10 AM

Nice setup but I can't help but mention last weeks game against the Ravens, you all got a lucky break, that was NOT a touchdown.
Bill
----------------------
My Setup
-----------------------

#3 OFFLINE   bootsy

bootsy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:16 AM

Nice setup but I can't help but mention last weeks game against the Ravens, you all got a lucky break, that was NOT a touchdown.

Thanks..
Depends on who you root for...lol...
Great game regardless though...

#4 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 633 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:20 AM

As a displaced Steelers fan myself, I have to agree with you. Whichever way it was called on the field, the call should have been honored. There just was not enough indisputable evidence in the replays to say one way or the other. As I saw it, the ball broke the plane by maybe 1/2" - but WHEN in that process did the receiver have the ball firmly held to constitute a reception? Of course, if the call had not been overturned, that would have put the ball on something like the 3-inch line, where it is highly likely, but no certainty, that a QB sneak would have scored anyhow -- IF they chose to run a 4th down play instead of kicking a tying field goal. We'll never know ...
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#5 OFFLINE   bootsy

bootsy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:24 AM

As a displaced Steelers fan myself, I have to agree with you. Whichever way it was called on the field, the call should have been honored. There just was not enough indisputable evidence in the replays to say one way or the other. As I saw it, the ball broke the plane by maybe 1/2" - but WHEN in that process did the receiver have the ball firmly held to constitute a reception? Of course, if the call had not been overturned, that would have put the ball on something like the 3-inch line, where it is highly likely, but no certainty, that a QB sneak would have scored anyhow -- IF they chose to run a 4th down play instead of kicking a tying field goal. We'll never know ...

Same here. I thought it broke the plane, but i didn't think they would reverse the call on the field.

#6 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:32 AM

250 pound QB only needing 1 inch on a sneak. Game over.

#7 OFFLINE   bootsy

bootsy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

250 pound QB only needing 1 inch on a sneak. Game over.

Now just beat Tenn. and wrap up the #1 seed...:joy:

#8 OFFLINE   ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

Now just beat Tenn. and wrap up the #1 seed...:joy:

If noone gets hurt, I'll gladly accept #2 seed. I think they will beat Tenn however.

By the way, nice set up. I have a similar setup. I switched to cable about 6 years ago, and have been very happy. However, I kept NFL Sunday Ticket. My Dish is tap-conned into a cinder-block that I carry around to wherever the steeler game viewing is. I also host all of the Dolphin viewing parties when they are not on local TV. I am a mobile NFL viewing Center.

The biggest downfall..... Can't lease a HD box only getting NFL, and not willing to shell out that kind of cash to own one, so I am SD only. Luckily, the majority of the Steelers games are on in HD on local TV anyway. We've had what, two 1:00 games all season?

#9 OFFLINE   bootsy

bootsy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:15 AM

If noone gets hurt, I'll gladly accept #2 seed. I think they will beat Tenn however.

By the way, nice set up. I have a similar setup. I switched to cable about 6 years ago, and have been very happy. However, I kept NFL Sunday Ticket. My Dish is tap-conned into a cinder-block that I carry around to wherever the steeler game viewing is. I also host all of the Dolphin viewing parties when they are not on local TV. I am a mobile NFL viewing Center.

The biggest downfall..... Can't lease a HD box only getting NFL, and not willing to shell out that kind of cash to own one, so I am SD only. Luckily, the majority of the Steelers games are on in HD on local TV anyway. We've had what, two 1:00 games all season?

Thanks..I never planned on putting it on the roof, but with all the tents around i couldn't get a signal from the ground. I found the towel in the back of the van and gave it a last ditch effort. I couldn't believe i got a solid signal around 90+ right away.

Other people had dishes that were mounted on 6' poles, but they were having trouble getting a signal because it wasn't stable. My tripod didn't move at all.:D

#10 OFFLINE   linger

linger

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:41 AM

Nice setup...I did something similar for my old college Homecomming, but I used a saw horse to mount the dish, and had a 42" Sony LCD in the back of my Tahoe. Oh yeah and we had a Wii hooked up too.

http://picasaweb.goo...feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.goo...feat=directlink
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR22-100
HR20-700
H21-100

#11 OFFLINE   bootsy

bootsy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:28 AM

Nice setup...I did something similar for my old college Homecomming, but I used a saw horse to mount the dish, and had a 42" Sony LCD in the back of my Tahoe. Oh yeah and we had a Wii hooked up too.

http://www.facebook....02&id=573870849

http://www.facebook....7c&id=573870849

Nice!!!!:goodjob:

#12 OFFLINE   drsprite

drsprite

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:18 AM

Very nice! I went to the game this year against the Bills. Here's my setup (It's a Dish setup, but since we're both Patriots fans I thought I'd share). We had the dish on the right screen, and playstation playing Madden on the left screen. I used 2 20" computer monitors that had composite, and then split the audio to computer speakers. It was quick and dirty, but it got the job done :)

The things on the back of my dish are removable Magnets some Patriots girls were handing out.

It worked out great. The game was at 1, so we watched the all the pre-games, then afterwards put on the 4:00 games. Since there was so much traffic trying to get out, we had a nice little crowd around us for the 4:00 games. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00901_tn.jpg
  • DSC00902_tn.jpg
  • DSC00903_tn.jpg
  • DSC00946_tn.jpg

#13 OFFLINE   Dad61

Dad61

AllStar

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:28 AM

We used to do the same thing at he races in Watkins Glen. We would back the camper up to the fence in turn 11, put a tv up against the fence and pt the dish on top of the camper. We just screw the mounting bracket to a 2 ft by 2ft piece of 3/4 inch plywood.
At the races, we only put the dish on the roof because of drunk ppl. lol Usually it's on the ground and we just level it with rocks. Don't take High Def camping. lol Sadly, those backing up to the fence days in turn 11 are gone. They have seating there now.

#14 OFFLINE   BGreen965

BGreen965

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

Here are a few pictures from our Tailgate at one of the Auburn games this year. This is right before we left to go to the stadium so there aren't many people left.

We had my 42'' LCD in the back of the Jeep and the Slimline dish + OTA for the local stations to bring us all the games in HD (even Raycom). Some weeks we would actual hook up my Peavey DJ speakers and park my friends SUV next to mine and hook his LCD up as well and have 2 HD games going on.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0038.JPG
  • IMG_0039.JPG

- DirecTV (since 2005) // AU9 // SWM // Diplexed Charter
2 HR20-700, 2 HR21, 2 H20-600
My Site: SailingForums.com

#15 OFFLINE   drsprite

drsprite

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 12:05 PM

Here are a few pictures from our Tailgate at one of the Auburn games this year. This is right before we left to go to the stadium so there aren't many people left.

We had my 42'' LCD in the back of the Jeep and the Slimline dish + OTA for the local stations to bring us all the games in HD (even Raycom). Some weeks we would actual hook up my Peavey DJ speakers and park my friends SUV next to mine and hook his LCD up as well and have 2 HD games going on.

That's a cool setup too!

My buddy has DJ speakers, but they didn't fit in his Jeep. It would have worked better but the computer speakers did the job. Also, I don't know if I would have trusted my 40" in the car while I was in the game. You never know who's at your car when you're not!

#16 OFFLINE   bootsy

bootsy

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 02:51 PM

Awesome setups guys, (or gals,lol) this is now my favorite thread. 42" LCD's at a tailgate is unreal. Anyone else???:D

#17 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

You can put a slimline 3 lnb on the smaller phase 3 dish for a more portable HD tailgate rig. It really works:)

#18 OFFLINE   86n96

86n96

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

yes, it was.

#19 OFFLINE   rotohead

rotohead

Legend

• Registered
  • 226 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:09 PM

Do those AC inverters really put out enough good AC power to run a LCD and rec?

#20 OFFLINE   linger

linger

Legend

• Registered
  • 204 posts
  • LocationVA

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:42 PM

Yeah, I bought a $40 400 watt Black & Decker and it did fine, we even used it to charge a few cell phones throughout the day.
HR24-500
HR24-500
HR22-100
HR20-700
H21-100

Protected By... spam firewall...And...