Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sat sales tax included in NY gov's plan to balance budget

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:16 AM

This has been bouncing around for a while, but here's the Multichannel News story covering the angle we care about:

"Among the 88 new fees, 10 fines and 39 new tax items in the proposed budget, (NY Gov. David) Paterson has recommended applying a sales tax on video and radio services delivered by cable, satellite or 'by similar means.' The governor justified the recommendation noting that 23 other states tax video services. The current sales tax in New York state is 4%."

Of course the satellite companies will fight it. Yes, it would be nice if no one needed to pay taxes on anything, anywhere, so if you were planning to say that, I just said it for you. ;)

Full story: http://www.multichan..._id&source=link
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 06:55 PM

Of course the satellite companies will fight it. Yes, it would be nice if no one needed to pay taxes on anything, anywhere, so if you were planning to say that, I just said it for you. ;)

Darned Bender with that rapier-like wit beat me to the punch again. Why can't the government just win the powerball or something? ;)

Of course, one could argue that it's not fair to tax basic living things like groceries and prescription drugs, but then exempt useless luxury items like cable and satellite.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#3 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

Taxes are to support the infrastructure. You pay property taxes to pay for the police, fire and schools (among other things). What service is the town/state providing that requires additional taxes when you put up a satellite dish?

#4 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

Taxes are to support the infrastructure. You pay property taxes to pay for the police, fire and schools (among other things). What service is the town/state providing that requires additional taxes when you put up a satellite dish?

:up:
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#5 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,474 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

You'll need the local police if someone steals your satellite receiver, or the fire department if a bad installer left you vulnerable to a lightning strike. :D

As you said, taxes support the infrastructure. Come up with the best way of dividing that burden and you're all set.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#6 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:14 PM

We also need to pay to have an Attorney General, prosecutors, judges and other court officials to help keep the satellite providers in line. Although, in reality we're probably paying for them to protect the satellite providers and their anti-piracy campaigns more than anyone.

#7 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:44 PM

Trying to keep from getting political here but keeping the satcasters in line and anti-piracy efforts are paid for by the taxes that E* and D* pay. Mind you they also pay property taxes on their facilities (I can imagine how much an uplink facility costs).

Basically, what's happened here is that states that have let spending run away are looking in all the couch cushions looking for new revenues instead of ... well, I'm starting to go off on a rant so I'll stop there.

#8 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

Trying to keep from getting political here but keeping the satcasters in line and anti-piracy efforts are paid for by the taxes that E* and D* pay. Mind you they also pay property taxes on their facilities (I can imagine how much an uplink facility costs).

Basically, what's happened here is that states that have let spending run away are looking in all the couch cushions looking for new revenues instead of ... well, I'm starting to go off on a rant so I'll stop there.

Of course you're correct about the spending, but what I was trying to point out is that you can attribute or not attribute any particular tax to related expenses...if the tax revenues are headed to the general fund it's useless to do so because no one is held responsible.

#9 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:57 PM

Lets just say I live in California, and things are a mess. But, no satellite tax... yet.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#10 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,585 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:19 PM

That current sales tax of 4% in NY is the state sales tax. Each county can add on additional % as needed. In my county it's 4%. So will my county also add on their 4%? Up until a year ago I saw about $.50 sales tax on my DirecTV bill. Not sure what part of the bill was being taxed.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...