Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Digital TV changeover scam

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GaryAZ

GaryAZ

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:33 PM

This was taped to my front door. It didn't scan too well so here's a transcript:

ATTENTION! PLEASE READ ASAP Community Notice

On February 17, 2009, FCC and Federal Law require that all full-power television broadcast stations stop broadcasting in analog format and broadcast only in digital format*

Due to the many complaints that we have received regarding the increasing Cable Television rates, poor analog signal and lack of HD channels, we are pleased to inform the residents of McCormick Ranch that Authorized DISH Network Retailer Technicians will be here Wed Dec 17 through Tues. Dec. 23, to install residents with either free High definition (HD) or Digital Satellite System (SD) of their choice. (world's longest sentence) This will allow customers to receive 100% digital channels 100% of the time. If you are receiving basic over the air analog signal or want the latest in Digital and High Definition technology, now is the time to switch to digital satellite. Be prepared before Feb. 17, 2009. if not, your TV May Not receive a signal!

Packages start at $32.99 a month....etc

For High Definition Channels just add $10.

For questions or more information, or to set up an appointment, please call your Dish Network Community Advisor (sic) today at (***) ***-****.

John Doe (not his real name)
Authorized Dish Network Retailer for McCormick Ranch Community

*http://www.dtv.gov

There are lots of older folks in this community and I'm sure many are confused by the DTV changeover. This just seems really lame.

"Dish Network Community Advisor" oh brother. I bet he has a badge and everything.

Attached Thumbnails

• Picture 002.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dbrakob

dbrakob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

If you are comfortable about Digital TV and understand the basics maybe you could be a good samaritan and if possible provide a 1 hour talk about the switchover for your community.

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,787 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

There are a lot of scammers out there ... one of them bought the website http://www.dtv.com/ to sell some IP TV service (trying to catch people going to DTV.gov).

#4 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 06:23 PM

Dish Network Community Advisor (sic)

OK, I'll bite. Why the "sic?" ("Advisor" is perfectly acceptable.)

#5 OFFLINE   GaryAZ

GaryAZ

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:07 PM

If you are comfortable about Digital TV and understand the basics maybe you could be a good samaritan and if possible provide a 1 hour talk about the switchover for your community.

nice idea. I'd thought about having a group of friends buy an extra converter box or two, pool them together and install them for elderly folks or in poor neighborhoods.

#6 OFFLINE   GaryAZ

GaryAZ

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:09 PM

OK, I'll bite. Why the "sic?" ("Advisor" is perfectly acceptable.)

My browser flagged it as misspelled. I didn't take the investigation any further. thank you.

#7 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

i see nothing wrong with the letter, and in fact, i think that is a great marketing technique.

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,429 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:44 AM

One thing wrong here. Echostar makes several fine OTA digital conversion boxes, some even eligible for the federal rebate. If OTA digital signals are available in some or all of the community and no reference is made about the alternative, then it is a scam if the digital conversion box alternative is not presented, IMHO.

#9 OFFLINE   DTHguy

DTHguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:28 AM

Part of theses scam and others scam, it fault have the same station.

#10 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 07:57 AM

My browser flagged it as misspelled. I didn't take the investigation any further. thank you.

Incredible. :rolleyes:

#11 OFFLINE   BaldEagle

BaldEagle

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:07 AM

i see nothing wrong with the letter, and in fact, i think that is a great marketing technique.

I agree. It was only slightly misleading in that it failed to mention converter boxes could be used to watch the digital signal on old analog TV's.

Not a scam at all.

#12 OFFLINE   GaryAZ

GaryAZ

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:45 AM

Incredible. :rolleyes:

Do you have any thoughts on the point of discussion?

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,787 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:42 PM

I agree. It was only slightly misleading in that it failed to mention converter boxes could be used to watch the digital signal on old analog TV's.

Not a scam at all.

There was a lot left out of the letter ... not mentioning that a one time purchase of a converter box would be the least expensive route is just the beginning of the problem.

Coming in to fix the singular problem of "your TV will not receive analog broadcasts" they should focus on solving that problem. Even if they offer other options, the purchase and install of a DTVPal is a good solution.

The $9.99 locals only and $19.99 welcome packs are also good solutions. To have "packages start at $32.99" (which DOES NOT include the locals the seniors are losing) when one can get the Family pack for $24.99 w/locals is bad marketing.

More investigation would be needed into how he is using the community's name. How did he get permission to be that community's authorized retailer? If community leaders actually gave him permission to market using their community name then THEY should also be held responsible for the deception. If he does not have permission to use their name they should shut him down. When he uses the community's name it is their endorsement of his scheme. Someone needs to talk to community management and let them know what is going on. (Although from the dates on the notice, it may be too late.)

#14 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

There was a lot left out of the letter ... not mentioning that a one time purchase of a converter box would be the least expensive route is just the beginning of the problem.

Coming in to fix the singular problem of "your TV will not receive analog broadcasts" they should focus on solving that problem. Even if they offer other options, the purchase and install of a DTVPal is a good solution.

they're not trying to sell converter boxes; they are in the dish business.

More investigation would be needed into how he is using the community's name. How did he get permission to be that community's authorized retailer? If community leaders actually gave him permission to market using their community name then THEY should also be held responsible for the deception. If he does not have permission to use their name they should shut him down. When he uses the community's name it is their endorsement of his scheme. Someone needs to talk to community management and let them know what is going on. (Although from the dates on the notice, it may be too late.)

take another look at what the letter said.

Due to the many complaints that we have received regarding the increasing Cable Television rates, poor analog signal and lack of HD channels, we are pleased to inform the residents of McCormick Ranch that Authorized DISH Network Retailer Technicians will be here

they never claimed to be the authorized retailer for that neighborhood.

there is nothing deceptive about this letter.

#15 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:40 PM

It seems like a legitimate offer but the somewhat sensational marketing is a turn-off.

#16 OFFLINE   TP715

TP715

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 01:50 PM

There is nothing deceptive about this letter.

The flyer, while it doesn't lie, is almost entirely deception. It implies at the beginning that everyone is going to get Dish for "free", when they actually mean the equipment is "free" if you agree to a long term contract (which includes the cost of the equipment and installation amortized over the contract). It implies that if you don't want to lose your TV you better get Dish Network and fails to mention other (cheaper) solutions (like the converter boxes that are almost free with the Federal Government coupon). It is designed to prey on the elderly and the technically naive who don't realize other options are available. And mentioning the Community makes it look like they are implying that this is somehow the "official" community solution.

Whatever happened to integrity and honesty?

PS- the only factor we don't know about is if the community forbids OTA antennas (which itself is a violation of FCC regulations).

#17 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 04:42 PM

John Doe (not his real name)
Authorized Dish Network Retailer for McCormick Ranch Community

just realize i missed this part, so i apologize james.

anyhow, i still see nothing deceptive about it. i think some of you are looking for a reason to complain.

its a good marketing campaign and will most likely get them some business.

#18 OFFLINE   twcbrandon

twcbrandon

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:02 PM

If this is a scam then a large majority of ALL advertisement is a scam.

Any restaurant that claims to have the best food is a scam unless they can verify in a WORLD WIDE survey that the WORLD agreed that they are the best etc.

If your looking for scams try alerting the government to all the companies that come out with all these new health remedies or mlm companies or companies that claim you can save money on gas etc.

#19 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,787 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:24 AM

If you want to make money going door to door preying on the ignorance of people ...
Selling unneeded products or services using the threat of losing TV service?

I'm surprised anyone is supporting the actions of this retailer.
He needs reporting to the state attorney general's office.
Let them decide if that is fair marketing or not.
I know if I found a similar note on my door that would be my next step.

#20 OFFLINE   GaryAZ

GaryAZ

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:54 AM

PS- the only factor we don't know about is if the community forbids OTA antennas (which itself is a violation of FCC regulations).

They are not forbidden. There are some guidelines for concealment but most homes have them. I'm using a 30 year old yagi to receive DTV. The signal is very strong as we're only about 15 miles from the transmitters (in Phoenix they are all in one spot on South Mountain).

In my spare bedroom I have an old CRT TV with converter box and $9.00 rabbit ears from Best Buy. I can easily receive all the Phoenix DTV channels. Total out-of-pocket expense (with government coupon) about $30.00.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...