Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Digital TV changeover scam

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:03 PM

If you want to make money going door to door preying on the ignorance of people ...
Selling unneeded products or services using the threat of losing TV service?

I'm surprised anyone is supporting the actions of this retailer.
He needs reporting to the state attorney general's office.
Let them decide if that is fair marketing or not.
I know if I found a similar note on my door that would be my next step.

they included the web address for the digital transition web page, and its pretty certain everyone has seen a tv commercial related to the DTV changeover, so i won't feel sorry for anyone who purchases a system solely by their own ignorance related to dtv. i still don't think the company is doing anything wrong and i think they've got a great marketing plan with this. start paying more attention to advertising in the newspaper, radio, tv, etc. . ., and i think your feelings towards this company might change. the only difference is that these people took their advertisement directly to their target market instead of hiring a media outlet to do it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   GaryAZ

GaryAZ

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:14 PM

I took the flyer to the McCormick Ranch Property Association office today. They told me they had already received several complaints about it - in fact the woman at the desk told me she got one taped to her door too.

She confirmed this company had no permission or rights to say they were community representatives. However, the association felt they had no recourse as the wording "Dish Network Community Advisor" could be construed as simply the "sales territory" for this John Doe person.

She had already called the local number listed on the flyer and reached an out-of-town satellite TV vendor that seemed unaware of the local promotion. When she asked for John Doe by name, she was told "no one by that name is here".

So much for the great marketing plan.

#23 OFFLINE   JohnH

JohnH

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,802 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:03 PM

How are the residents of this community currently receiving Television?

Is it from a source which will be handling the Digital Conversion for them?

#24 OFFLINE   GaryAZ

GaryAZ

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:44 AM

How are the residents of this community currently receiving Television?

Is it from a source which will be handling the Digital Conversion for them?

Every way. Since I've been here I've had cable, satellite and OTA.

#25 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,938 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:32 AM

Every way. Since I've been here I've had cable, satellite and OTA.

I take it there is no problem receiving the digital OTA signals as the flyer implies?
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#26 OFFLINE   GaryAZ

GaryAZ

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:11 AM

I take it there is no problem receiving the digital OTA signals as the flyer implies?

see my post #20 above

#27 OFFLINE   aquaman67

aquaman67

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:42 AM

How is this a scam?

They include the www.dtv.gov website for you to fully investigate. Anyone who's watched tv on the last 20 months has seen the infomercials and knows what's coming.

While this may be annoying, it's capitalism...get over it.

You'd be surprised how many people will buy stuff just because someone is "in the area". I've seen people get their driveway asphalted just because someone pulled up to thier house with a crew to do it.

If you don't want it, throw the ad away and move on. Someone is just trying to feed their family.

#28 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:16 AM

Make your own "Press Release", with the facts about Digital TV Reception, and put it on everybody's doors. Be sure to emphasise the FACT that it is (really) FREE!

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,114 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

You'd be surprised how many people will buy stuff just because someone is "in the area". I've seen people get their driveway asphalted just because someone pulled up to thier house with a crew to do it.

I've also seen the black paint wear off of an asphalt seal job that really wasn't the product that the victim thought they were getting. There are all sorts of scams out there ... the existence of other scams doesn't make this any less of a scam.

Someone is just trying to feed their family.

True, they could be doing that by selling drugs or robbing banks and convenience stores. At least ripping off unsuspecting patsies is legal. (State laws may vary - please check to make sure it IS legal in your state if you wish to try such a scheme.)

"This nice young man came to my door and told me that if I didn't give him $40 per month I wouldn't be able to watch my soaps!"

If they are going to come in under the guise of informing people they should start there. There isn't anything extremely wrong about offering satellite service as an OPTION ... but it seems that this promotion starts with seeking a BIG commitment from their marks.

Perhaps not a "scam" in the strictest sense of the word --- but certainly not they kind of promotion that makes resellers look good. The service should be sold on it's merits not on fear and threats.

#30 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

i saw a dish network commercial today saying basically the same thing; it was advising to get dish network to help you with the digital transition.

#31 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 06:14 PM

i saw a dish network commercial today saying basically the same thing; it was advising to get dish network to help you with the digital transition.

And for some people that may be a good solution.

#32 OFFLINE   Lauri

Lauri

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:19 PM

I responded to the letter because I have been interested in DISH for quite some time, primarily because I am interested in the French and Spanish stations. I am currently on COX. The package, the equipment, and the monthly offered sound right to me.

He asked for the last 4 digits of my SSN and I gave it to him. When he called back and asked for my credit card number, I got nervous and did not give it to him. The letter is not on any official stationary. I have not seen a web site and all I have is some first names over the telephone. They are supposed to install tomorrow morning.

I was able to do a Google search with the phone number he gave me. The company's name is Titan Communications Llc, located in Mesa, Az. It has a clean record with the Better Business Bureau. I have been speaking with Jeffrey Taylor, listed as a main manager. Otherwise, it has a very low profile.

Other than objections to their marketing technique (anyone remember the Y2K boondoggle?), does anyone know if this is a reputable company?

Thanks for any info you can give me .....

Edited by Lauri, 29 December 2008 - 07:24 PM.

#33 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

i see nothing wrong with the letter, and in fact, i think that is a great marketing technique.

yeah, like offering free equipment that you will get charged for.
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

Protected By... spam firewall...And...