Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hampton Roads Independent TV station, WSKY, to be yanked off DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 10:32 PM

From VARTV:

Sky Television's WSKY-DT is being pulled off of DirecTV's local-in-local (LIL) service at midnight January 1st, 2009.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   D*HR-20

D*HR-20

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 12:46 AM

That is ridiculous. I mean if DirecTV is the sports leader, then they need to keep WSKY 4. They carry Old Dominion University basketball, Norfolk Tides (AAA affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles) baseball, and SEC football and basketball in the area. If they drop WSKY, we might have to change providers because we can't live without our ODU basketball in our house.

#3 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:15 AM

i just replied to the email link i dont want to see this channel go :(

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#4 OFFLINE   keithtd

keithtd

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 296 posts
  • LocationMid Atlantic

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:41 PM

Just saw the ad on WSKY, and they're offering their programming for free to "D"! I'm going to write "D" until I get an honest "non-canned" response.

Wonder what other stations are going to suffer this demise?

#5 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:58 AM

It's kind of a shame that when some stations and station ownership groups are playing hardball to get a lot of money to rebroadcast *free* TV, some stations offering their signal completely free are getting crowded out.

#6 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

Seems like if they are offering it for free, that it would fall under "must carry" and D* would be required by law to carry it.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#7 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:49 AM

Seems like if they are offering it for free, that it would fall under "must carry" and D* would be required by law to carry it.

I believe you've hit the nail on the head here .. probably it's no longer being offered for free and as a result .. no "must carry."
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#8 OFFLINE   tds4182

tds4182

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:29 AM

That is ridiculous. I mean if DirecTV is the sports leader, then they need to keep WSKY 4. They carry Old Dominion University basketball, Norfolk Tides (AAA affiliate of the Baltimore Orioles) baseball, and SEC football and basketball in the area. If they drop WSKY, we might have to change providers because we can't live without our ODU basketball in our house.

Is their signal strong enough to get via an OTA antenna?

That's one possible "work around".

It sounds as though their rebroadcast fees to D* are the real issue.

Edited by tds4182, 29 December 2008 - 07:30 AM.
Correct typo

#9 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:38 AM

Huh! I was reluctant to consider switching to E* when my D* contract expires this September because they have had numerous issues with removing local stations. But this is the first time I've ever heard of D* pulling this. :rolleyes:
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#10 OFFLINE   Ice Runner

Ice Runner

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 11:00 AM

I can get it find over the air in Newport News.
HR22-100

#11 OFFLINE   keithtd

keithtd

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 296 posts
  • LocationMid Atlantic

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:56 PM

Just to be clear, the station is not charging "D" any fees hence free.

http://www.wsky4.com/SECschedule.php

#12 OFFLINE   VARTV

VARTV

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts
  • LocationVirginia Beach, VA, USA

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:23 PM

I can get it find over the air in Newport News.

They have no analog signal. Right now, they are on digital UHF4 but moving to 9 in February...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

With DirecTV since October 2004. My complete setup on 1/1/2013...

#13 OFFLINE   D*HR-20

D*HR-20

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:17 PM

Is their signal strong enough to get via an OTA antenna?

That's one possible "work around".

It sounds as though their rebroadcast fees to D* are the real issue.

I don't know if I can get it. The way we have our antenna pointed now I can't get it with the antenna we have, but because we could get it from D* in SD I never bothered to try and mess with the antenna to check. I mean when we setup the antenna, WSKY-DT didn't even exist. It became operational about a year after we set it up. Also, I doubt I could get it with our antenna until they move from channel 4 to 9 since our antenna is UHF only.

#14 OFFLINE   D*HR-20

D*HR-20

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 07:23 PM

They have no analog signal. Right now, they are on digital UHF4 but moving to 9 in February...

I thought I read on avsforum that the move from 4 to 9 had been delayed a year or did that change and no one posted an update over there.

#15 OFFLINE   betterdan

betterdan

Icon

• Registered
  • 911 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:51 PM

I can pick up the digital signal fine from my house in Portsmouth.

#16 OFFLINE   rhipps

rhipps

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:21 AM

Sure enough it's gone as of this mroning. Somehow I missed all the previous traffic about ths subject. Bye to SKY (sniff).

#17 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,929 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:35 AM

Just to be clear, the station is not charging "D" any fees hence free.

http://www.wsky4.com/SECschedule.php

I don't know all of the technical details, but I believe there is an annual filing period for "must carry." If WSKY is being removed from DIRECTV it could be as simple as a clerical error, but since the date for filing has passed there is no recourse .. Hopefully a different arrangement can be worked out ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#18 OFFLINE   keithtd

keithtd

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 296 posts
  • LocationMid Atlantic

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:57 AM

WSKY was'nt telling the entire story according to a Pilotonline article, " WSKY-TV, based in Chesapeake, missed its deadline to reapply for "must-carry" status with DirecTV, so the satellite service sent WSKY a letter saying the independent station would be dropped from the line up, station owner Glenn Holterhaus said Tuesday.

After missing the deadline, the station offered DirecTV "retransmission consent," granting the satellite company permission to transmit WSKY's signal at no cost, Holterhaus said. DirecTV declined, he said."

Full article here http://hamptonroads....nel-4-goes-dark

#19 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

Correct. WSKY didn't comply with Must Carry rules. Another post here a few days ago indicated the number of stations that would be coming down due to not applying for Must Carry

#20 OFFLINE   Machpelah

Machpelah

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 05:30 PM

WSKY blew it big time. I bet their advertisers are not happy about losing DirecTV viewer ship. Frankly, it was in WSKY's best interest not to loose the DirecTV rebroadcast. Someone at WSKY is probably out of a job over this screw up.

No great loss. Once WSKY stopped broadcasting the Orioles games, I never watched it anyway.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...