Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hampton Roads Independent TV station, WSKY, to be yanked off DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 650 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

Seems like if they are offering it for free, that it would fall under "must carry" and D* would be required by law to carry it.

I agree....:D

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

I thought I read on avsforum that the move from 4 to 9 had been delayed a year or did that change and no one posted an update over there.

I don't know about Feb, but the feedback I just recieved from WSKY-TV is that the shift is planned for later in the year.

Don't look now but 7 of the 10 stations that DTV just dropped have Christian connections.:eek2:

#23 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 01 January 2009 - 06:33 PM

yea i got that same email...

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#24 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

Just got a e-mail response from DTV when I asked about this and if I will see a deduction on my bill:lol:

.....they said..."After the deadline, the station expressed an interest in continued carriage, but we do not have plans to do so.

In addition please be informed that no adjustment is due to your account regarding this channel being removed.":nono::nono::nono:

#25 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

Update: DirecTV has stopped carrying the SD signal of WSKY.

#26 OFFLINE   luckydob

luckydob

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 11:18 PM

why would you get a reduction in your bill if it was free anyway?

I have a feeling that AAA baseball and ODU basketball games is what D* means by sports leader, but to each his own. I hope they continue to carry it for you, but if not, it's not really a loss for D* as much as it is for the station since they seemed to have been the one's to drop the ball here.

#27 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

WSKY blew it big time. I bet their advertisers are not happy about losing DirecTV viewer ship. Frankly, it was in WSKY's best interest not to loose the DirecTV rebroadcast. Someone at WSKY is probably out of a job over this screw up.

No great loss. Once WSKY stopped broadcasting the Orioles games, I never watched it anyway.

It probably won't be that BAD for the station, and the next satellite must-carry cycle is around the corner. What is it in 3 years? Time flies. And they still are on Dish, cable, Fios? I think its a bad move on DirecTV's part to not work with the station, though DirecTV's execs probably just saw the day schedule including: "A Different World", "Roseanne", "Cheers", (maybe DirecTV overlooked the occasional sports aspect) and thought, customers can just watch Oxygen, Nick and TV Land to get the same shows, and let's face it, this is not a big market to carry ancillary stations unless required. In my book, dropping stations is a bad move, esp. if it offers some value to customers at no cost, but DirecTV probably did their economics of opportunity cost and calculated they didn't want it. Customers are paying $57.99 for service not to be dissed by DirecTV in the end though....

Edited by rnbmusicfan, 12 January 2009 - 10:49 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   rnbmusicfan

rnbmusicfan

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:53 PM

Huh! I was reluctant to consider switching to E* when my D* contract expires this September because they have had numerous issues with removing local stations. But this is the first time I've ever heard of D* pulling this. :rolleyes:

DirecTV pulled WMBC 63 (Ind.) from the New York locals package in Dec. 2005, and it hasn't returned since. Why it didn't return this must-carry cycle, you'd think they'd file the must-carry paperwork right, is a mystery. Maybe WMBC didn't want to pay the fiber optic expense to DirecTV anymore.

WMBC 63 however runs international programming, but not all in one language for one group. It runs Italian, Korean, South Asian and isn't a commercial independent the same way like WSKY...It doesn't sell ad time the same way. It went off with little notice or press coverage. Most the folk that are looking for the select shows (like Italian shows,etc.) are the type to install an OTA antenna...anyways, or would pay $14.99/mo to get a full-time channel. Dish still has WMBC, most basic cable plans have it, and its easy to have Dish locals without a base package.

Edited by rnbmusicfan, 12 January 2009 - 10:58 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...