Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cancel and resign better or freeze

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:37 AM

I have been a dish subscriber for 3 yars now. I recently sold my house and moved into an apartment. At that time I put a freeze on my account so I could keep my shows I recorded on my DVR's. I pay 10 bucks a month for that. We are building a new house and it will be done in April/May. My question is from an install and price perspective does it make more sense to cancel my service,send the DVR's back,then when the house is ready have my wife sign up as a new customer?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:21 PM

I have been a dish subscriber for 3 yars now. I recently sold my house and moved into an apartment. At that time I put a freeze on my account so I could keep my shows I recorded on my DVR's. I pay 10 bucks a month for that. We are building a new house and it will be done in April/May. My question is from an install and price perspective does it make more sense to cancel my service,send the DVR's back,then when the house is ready have my wife sign up as a new customer?

That is a personal option. What fits my needs dosen't have to fit yours.:)

#3 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

why not have it installed at the apartment?
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#4 OFFLINE   Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

So the question is would it be better to get a new install under my wifes name or keep the one I have? Are there any incentives goin on?

I couldn't install it in the apartment because it faces North and would have to run the dish to the other side of the building. I had to sign a waiver saying I wouldn't.

#5 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

fair enough, figured it was something like that, just wanted to be sure. :D
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#6 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:44 PM

So the question is would it be better to get a new install under my wifes name or keep the one I have? ...

You might find it tough to get a retailer to do that as Dish is clamping down on this and shutting down retailers who do this type of thing. I think they shut down like 20 or so retailers in the last couple months...

http://www.mediabiz....&release_id=467

#7 OFFLINE   Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:54 PM

You might find it tough to get a retailer to do that as Dish is clamping down on this and shutting down retailers who do this type of thing. I think they shut down like 20 or so retailers in the last couple months...

http://www.mediabiz....&release_id=467

But if I cancel now and resign in 5 months under my mother in law who lives with us?

#8 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:36 PM

If you are going to have a new physical address and a new phone number you might get away with it.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#9 OFFLINE   Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:54 PM

If you are going to have a new physical address and a new phone number you might get away with it.

Yes to both. But is there a benifit to doing this?

#10 OFFLINE   FastNOC

FastNOC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:28 PM

I think it's crap to do that, deceiving, clearly against the rules and should never be done.

Why not just opt for honesty instead of becoming a dirtbag and stealing things?

#11 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:40 AM

What do you have for equipment? Do you want different equipment? What are you subscribing to for programming? Will you get any savings on what you watch by becoming a new customer?:)

#12 OFFLINE   Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:41 AM

What do you have for equipment? Do you want different equipment? What are you subscribing to for programming? Will you get any savings on what you watch by becoming a new customer?:)

I will have 3 - 722's. I have the top 250,latin package,sports package and all the HD. Everything but movie channels.

#13 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:42 AM

I will have 3 - 722's. I have the top 250,latin package,sports package and all the HD. Everything but movie channels.

So is there an advantage to you you will probably have to buy receivers again as a new customer and your programming looks to be personalized to your tastes.:)

#14 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:55 AM

A new customer has to pay an extra $50 lease fee for the first 722, more for the second 722 ($100? $150? Someone else can verify), and you'd have to buy the 3rd outright, as Dish has a 4-TV-output lease limit.

It would be cheaper to suspend your account.

#15 OFFLINE   finniganps

finniganps

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:04 AM

If you have a 722 - you can buy an extended HD, move your shows, stop your service and then start again next year. I guess the question is how much would they charge you as a returning customer vs. what u are doing now.

#16 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:58 AM

If you have 3 722's right now you own at least one of them. You would not have to send it back and could be added to the new account later. Seems to me though that suspending would be easier.

#17 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:20 AM

If you do not own, even if you DO own a 722 and save the recordings to an EHD, when you open an account in another name, you will NOT be able to view them because the EHD is tied to the account, not the reciever - so be careful with the switcheroo - you might shoot yourself in the foot.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#18 OFFLINE   Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:27 PM

If you have 3 722's right now you own at least one of them. You would not have to send it back and could be added to the new account later. Seems to me though that suspending would be easier.

Sorry I should have clarified earlier. I currently have a 622 and 522 that I am leasing. I would like to upgrade to 3 - 722's. I know I will have to buy one of them and at this point the recordings are moot. I thought by suspending the account I could hook up the DVR's in my apt. so the kids could watch thier favorite recordings but found that can't happen.

#19 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:52 PM

Sorry I should have clarified earlier. I currently have a 622 and 522 that I am leasing. I would like to upgrade to 3 - 722's. I know I will have to buy one of them and at this point the recordings are moot. I thought by suspending the account I could hook up the DVR's in my apt. so the kids could watch thier favorite recordings but found that can't happen.

Ok, I noticed is some of your other threads that you would also like OTA in all rooms correct? If so, I would wait until the 722k is out because it will have the dual OTA addon tuners availble. That way you will only have to run your OTA coax to the three rooms that are TV1 rooms.(the rooms with the boxes actually in them.) In this case it MIGHT be cheaper for you to try to get a new customer deal because the extra charge for the first 2 MIGHT be cheaper that do Dishin it up. Either way the 3rd 722 will have to be purchased at full price. If you do get a new customer deal, you will probably also get some programming credits of some sort. There is a gray area as far as if you would be commiting fraud getting a new customer deal, your wife is entitled to her own accout if she so chooses. But some will still say that it is at least unethical.

#20 OFFLINE   Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:45 PM

Ok, I noticed is some of your other threads that you would also like OTA in all rooms correct? If so, I would wait until the 722k is out because it will have the dual OTA addon tuners availble. That way you will only have to run your OTA coax to the three rooms that are TV1 rooms.(the rooms with the boxes actually in them.) In this case it MIGHT be cheaper for you to try to get a new customer deal because the extra charge for the first 2 MIGHT be cheaper that do Dishin it up. Either way the 3rd 722 will have to be purchased at full price. If you do get a new customer deal, you will probably also get some programming credits of some sort. There is a gray area as far as if you would be commiting fraud getting a new customer deal, your wife is entitled to her own accout if she so chooses. But some will still say that it is at least unethical.

Any idea when the 722k would come out? As far as unethical I thinks it's bad buisness to ask loyal paying customers to get as good a deal as a new customer. They should PRICE MATCH like stores do after all I will be upgrading recievers and have no problem with a commitment.

spam firewall