Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Feb 1 Rate increase!

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#181 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:53 AM

But they are combining the $7 add'l receiver fee with the $5.98 DVR fee and making it a $12 DVR fee...

With DDA (DISH DVR Advantage), yes.

AEP already includes DVR fees so there is no DDA rate for adding on additional receivers. The normal rate of $5 SD or $7 HD per receiver applies (and the DVR fee is included in AEP).

The $10/$12 combos only apply to DDA. Non-DDA subscribers (including AEP) get the regular split rates.

Edited by James Long, 22 January 2009 - 08:59 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#182 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

Just received my online bill via ATT/DISH and here is the info about the increase. Name changes are just that...no new channels for the price :(
(I know this has been expected but here is the official notice)

Effective February 1, 2009
Please note the following programming and monthly rate changes for AT&T
| DISH Network Service:

America's Top 100 will be renamed Classic Bronze 100 and repriced to
$39.99*;
America's Top 100 Plus will be renamed Classic Bronze 100 Plus
and repriced to $49.99*;
America's Top 200 will be renamed Classic Silver 200 and repriced to
$52.99*; America's Top 250 will be renamed Classic Gold 250 and
repriced to $62.99*
; DishDVR Advantage America's Top 100 will be
renamed DishDVR Advantage Classic Bronze 100 and repriced to $44.99;
DishDVR Advantage America's Top 200 will be renamed DishDVR Advantage
Classic Silver 200 and repriced to $57.99; DishLATINO will be renamed
DishLATINO Clasico and repriced to $29.99*; DishDVR Advantage TurboHD
Bronze will be repriced to $39.99; DishDVR Advantage TurboHD Silver
will be repriced to $49.99; DishDVR Advantage TurboHD Gold will be
repriced to $59.99; America's Top 250 Bonus Pack will be renamed
Classic Gold 250 Bonus Pack; America's "Everything" Pak will be
repriced to $102.98*; Programming Access Fee will be renamed. The
following new prices will also apply: DishLATINO Plus-$34.99**;
DishLATINO Dos-$42.99**; DishLATINO Max-$52.99**; DishLATINO Plus DVR
Pack-$39.99; TurboHD Bronze-$34.99*; TurboHD Silver-$44.99*; TurboHD
Gold-$54.99*; Russian Mega Pack-$33.99; S. Asian Hindi Mega
Pack-$56.99; Bengali Mega Pack-$34.99; Punjabi Pack-$19.9 9; HBO-$15.99 ;
Playboy-$15.99; HD Enabling Fee-$5.00. Premium pricing will be as
follows: 2 Premium Channels-$22.00; 3 Premium Channels-$31.00; Existing
DishDVR Advantage** customers with more than one DVR will now pay
$12.00/month for HD DVR receiver and $10.00/month for SD DVR receiver
(Save $0.98).

*Prices include locals, $5/mo less without locals.
**Price includes both with and without locals.
BOLDED is the package we have and reflects a $3/mo increase

#183 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:06 PM

I posted a thread, that was closed stating a thread was already open, pasting the info from my online bill today of the DISH price increases. Well, the first post here has prices that do not mesh with what I pasted on.

I am not about to look through 8 more pages to see if the corrections were made. :(

#184 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

Perhaps you can point out where your "official" prices vary from the prices discussed in this thread? The prices stated at the beginning of the thread are confirmed and at quick glance your post seems to contain the same prices.

#185 OFFLINE   snowcat

snowcat

Legend

• Registered
  • 236 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:46 PM

I posted a thread, that was closed stating a thread was already open, pasting the info from my online bill today of the DISH price increases. Well, the first post here has prices that do not mesh with what I pasted on.

I am not about to look through 8 more pages to see if the corrections were made. :(

The prices look the same to me. Your prices just have the $5 locals added to them, while the prices on page 1 don't.

#186 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:40 PM

The prices look the same to me. Your prices just have the $5 locals added to them, while the prices on page 1 don't.

I guess it is hard to compare when the official says one thing and the other does not have have the local charge added.

Never mind. :grin:

#187 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

Your "official" is from a reseller who is actually breaking ties with DISH Network and will be reselling DirecTV. Our "official" is from DISH Network (to their retailers). As long as the prices agree the point is moot, but I'll take our "official" over a reseller's word any day. :)

#188 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

Just received my online bill via ATT/DISH and here is the info about the increase. Name changes are just that...no new channels for the price :(

So they didn't add any channels over the last year? They Didn't put any money into new satellites and send them up 22,000 miles? They didn't come up with any R&D over the last year ? They didn't have cost increases with 20,000+ employees (salaries, health insurance, 401k, etc)? Local taxes on 10 call centers across the country? Upkeep on vehicles?

#189 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:26 PM

Just so everyone knows, and I don't know if it has been said yet or not, but DDA will also get the first TV2 Connection Charge (formerly the no phone line fee) waived on an account.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#190 OFFLINE   hoophead

hoophead

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

Your "official" is from a reseller who is actually breaking ties with DISH Network and will be reselling DirecTV. Our "official" is from DISH Network (to their retailers). As long as the prices agree the point is moot, but I'll take our "official" over a reseller's word any day. :)

ATT will actually be going to D* from E*? I had not heard; please fill me in.
:confused:

#191 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

ATT will actually be going to D* from E*? I had not heard; please fill me in.
:confused:

Just in case you aren't kidding, go to this thread
George Bernard Shaw: "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience." ;) :D

The 50-50-90 Rule: "Whenever you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability that you will get it wrong." -- Unknown ;)

Heinlein's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

#192 OFFLINE   RollTide1017

RollTide1017

AllStar

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:49 PM

When I go to the Dish website and look at my programming it list that I pay $5.99 for locals. Why would I be paying .99 more when everyone else?

#193 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:14 PM

When I go to the Dish website and look at my programming it list that I pay $5.99 for locals. Why would I be paying .99 more when everyone else?

Check to make sure that the 99c isn't reduced somewhere else ... other than that, the $5.99 price is for people who don't subscribe to a basic package (DISHFamily, AT100 or above, etc.).

#194 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:48 AM

OK, so in all these 190+ posts you have given me a headache. Has anyone figured out what the sweet-spot is? or the sweet-spot for each tier? or combinations of tiers?

What about those of us with DVR-converted 211's There's no DVR fee for those, is there?

What about those of us with OTA locals? Can we drop our locals and still have L-I-L show up with the guide? (the guide being the important element here)

Edited by Cap'n Preshoot, 25 January 2009 - 10:59 AM.

The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#195 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:58 AM

Check to make sure that the 99c isn't reduced somewhere else ... other than that, the $5.99 price is for people who don't subscribe to a basic package (DISHFamily, AT100 or above, etc.).

I do not understand why E* marketing people keep using that $5.99/mo for locals figure. With the $9.99 standalone locals package, the $14.99 Welcome Pack w/locals, several of the International Packs counting as basic packs and the Spanish packs including locals at no additional charge(starting Feb 7), who are left paying that full $5.99 price? I would think that anyone who was just getting a non basic package International channel or package of channels or getting a premium movie channel package or other "a la cart" channels without a basic package would be be better off getting the $9.99 standalone locals pack or the Welcome Pack w/locals at $14.99 rather than the $5/mo access fee + $5.99/mo for locals for a total of $10.99/mo. I guess that the few subs that might pay that full $5.99/mo for locals might be the basic package subs who pay annually?

#196 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

OK, so in all these 190+ posts you have given me a headache. Has anyone figured out what the sweet-spot is? or the sweet-spot for each tier? or combinations of tiers?

The sweet spot is a matter of opinion. We can tell you what the price of each tier will be.

What about those of us with DVR-converted 211's There's no DVR fee for those, is there?

Correct. Once the per-household conversion fee is paid there is no additional fee.

What about those of us with OTA locals? Can we drop our locals and still have L-I-L show up with the guide? (the guide being the important element here)

If you drop or do not subscribe to satellite delivered locals you will not get EPG data for locals.

#197 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

Thanks James.

What is included (or bundled-into) the Dish DVR Advantage deal?
-Locals
-DVR Svc fee (ok waived, but requires DVR Advantage, so it's in there)
-What else?
The Cable and Satellite TV industry does not hold the patent on alienating its customers, but COMCAST in particular has succeeded in making an art form of it, garnering them the distinction of "Most Universally Despised" of all PAY-TV providers in the industry.

#198 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:23 PM

What is included (or bundled-into) the Dish DVR Advantage deal?
-Locals
-DVR Svc fee (ok waived, but requires DVR Advantage, so it's in there)
-What else?

That is it. Package + locals + DVR = DVR Advantage Package.

Under 2007 prices (which were price frozen until Jan 31st, 2009) there was an initial 99c savings which became more when the rest of the prices went up last February. Under 2009 prices (effective with the first billing after February 1st) we're back to a 99c initial savings ... this time 99c per DVR.

#199 OFFLINE   Cap'n Preshoot

Cap'n Preshoot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 452 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:20 PM

That is it. Package + locals + DVR = DVR Advantage Package.

Under 2007 prices (which were price frozen until Jan 31st, 2009) there was an initial 99c savings which became more when the rest of the prices went up last February. Under 2009 prices (effective with the first billing after February 1st) we're back to a 99c initial savings ... this time 99c per DVR.

Sorry James, the "light" hasn't clicked on yet

Using your chart (thanks by the way) I go with the current rates and apply to what I have today, but I keep coming up with more (way more) than I'm paying. Help me understand. :confused:

What I think you're saying is the DDA pricing includes your base package, be it AT200 or whatever. The confusion I'm having is with the AEP which does not specifically state that it includes HD, nor is it implied except perhaps with the interpretation of the term "everything" in AEP, which would mean (imply) DDA+AEP is the whole kit & kaboodle including HD but not including Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum. Am I reading that right? Then to that number you just add your extra receiver charge(s) (?)

(DDA with AEP) + (Gold) + (Platinum) + (extra receivers) = total monthly recurring price

Am I on track here?

The above includes C_MAX but I can get MAX for a penny with autopay, so where's the savings on the above "bundle" with autopay versus without autopay?

#200 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,514 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:07 PM

AEP does not include HD. My chart makes it pretty clear that there are different price with or without HD.

Perhaps it would be easier to make it clear specifically what you have instead of having us guess?

spam firewall