Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Feb 1 Rate increase!

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 339 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:15 PM

Amen to that!

This will get me to the top of the S list.....

Maybe the new FCC commissioner will finally mandate a la carte and the rest of us can stop subsidizing ESPN viewers.

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

What is a real big problem for me would to be paying for a service I don't receive. $ 7 not to get HD on a HD box? This almost seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. These kind of Lease fees and pay for a box you do not own is what got DirectV into a lawsuit.

Then don't pay.

The $7 (soon to be $5) fee IS for a service ... the ability to use a HD receiver without paying for a more expensive HD package. The "No HD Fee" doesn't disable HD on the receiver. And DISH doesn't charge it in situations (such as Eastern arc SD) where DISH requires you to have a MPEG4 receiver.

#53 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:06 PM

Perhaps Dish should go to the business model that DirectV is going to. One kind of capable receiver for all without the extra charge. DirectV is going to all HD capable receivers with no extra charge for no HD content. I was considering going back to Dish. But with all the extra charges for not having a service with a certain box because it is HD capable does not make a whole lot of sense. It is just not reasonable to pay for a service or channels you do not get, because you have a box capable of receiving them. Perhaps Dish will need to rethink there way of doing business in the near future. Or perhaps they could and should lose business because of this mentality or way of adding extra cost to the customer for no service. I guess if the public lets them get away with it, more power to Dish for ripping the people off. This is my opinion, but perhaps more people will step back and think about it.

#54 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

For the first year (Feb 2007-Feb 2008) DVR Advantage was also a 98¢ discount. Then the normal Feb 2008 price increases came and DVR Advantage didn't change (it was price guaranteed). For the past year it has saved people $3.98 to $5.98.

Perhaps 98¢ per DVR isn't a savings now but it will be if they price guarantee again.

I'm trying to follow, but having a 'senior moment', and just want to make sure I understand before I disconnect the locals. We own 2 receivers (1 old std, 1 old 508 DVR) and just leased a 612. All are active

I have the DVRAdvantage program and have been considering dropping my locals because I can get a great picture now from even rabbit ears (and pick up several local stations not offered by Dish). If I drop them would the net effect only be a few cents (because I'd lose the 'savings' built into the Advantage program)?

If it's not much of a difference I may just keep them as I camp often and sometimes am in areas where I couldn't get the locals OTA

#55 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

But with all the extra charges for not having a service with a certain box because it is HD capable does not make a whole lot of sense.

There is only an extra charge if YOU make DISH make an extra investment in you. There is no reason for DISH to provide a new ViP receiver to customers who could use a 510 or 522 DVR or 311 322 non-DVR. The new receivers need to go to customers who NEED them - and as noted above, DISH does provide MPEG4 receivers without the "fee" to customers that need them to receive service.

Once again, as stated before, you would NOT be paying extra for "not having" a service. You would be paying extra for the additional features that receiver DOES provide. Perhaps that service is of little value to you ... if so don't get the receiver.

#56 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

I'm trying to follow, but having a 'senior moment'. We own 2 receivers (1 old std, 1 old 508 DVR) and just leased a 612. All are active

I have the DVRAdvantage program and have been considering dropping my locals because I can get a great picture now from even rabbit ears. If I drop them would the net effect only be a few cents (because I'd lose the 'savings' built into the Advantage program)?

I would not recommended dropping locals as you would lose the guide data for the OTA channels you receive on the 612 (and the ability to record locals on the 508).

As far as the math goes - (assuming the AT200 level but the compare is the same)
DDA AT200 (inc/locals & 1 DVR) $57.99 + 2 SD Receiver "outlets" (no DVR fee on a 508) $10.00 = $67.99
AT200 (no locals) $47.99 + DVR Fee (612) $5.98 + 2 SD Receiver "outlets" (no DVR fee on a 508) $10.00 = $63.97

Seems that the $4.02 for the locals/EPG would be worth it. YMMV.

#57 OFFLINE   Taco Lover

Taco Lover

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:37 PM

Do these price changes take effect automatically for those not locked into a price? (or is no one locked in?)

With my recent layoff (and especially since what we have will go up $8/mo) we already decided to downgrade to the Family Pack, but keep the 722 for local channels. So I don't have to wait until Feb 1 to get the HD Enable for $5, right? It should go from $7 to $5 automatically?

So it'll be $19.99 for Family, $5 for locals, $5.98 DVR fee, and $5 Enabling fee = $35.97?

#58 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

All new prices mentioned are effective February 1st.

#59 OFFLINE   Taco Lover

Taco Lover

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

All new prices mentioned are effective February 1st.

I understand that. But if I downgrade and get the enabling fee at $7, does it go down to $5 on the 1st or am I locked in somehow?

#60 OFFLINE   ediblebeats

ediblebeats

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

I understand that. But if I downgrade and get the enabling fee at $7, does it go down to $5 on the 1st or am I locked in somehow?

I am new to this site but work for a retailer and thought I'd help clarify this. Let's say you downgrade tonight. Your next bill, unless the bill has already been printed, will have a $7 HD receiver enabling fee. If your January bill has already been printed, then you would see the $7 charge on the subsequent bill (remember Dish bills one month inadvance).

Essentially you will pay the $7 enabling fee, likely for only one bill, until the Feb 1st rate change takes effect and then your monthly enabling fee will automatically drop to $5 per month. Until you 1) decide to reactivate an HD package or 2) drop the HD receiver from your account, or replace it with a SD unit, you will see the $5 HD enabling fee on your bill.

PS: Depending what channels you like to watch you may be better off downgrading to the Turbo HD Bronze w/locals for $39.99;) .

Hope this helps!

#61 OFFLINE   kb7oeb

kb7oeb

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:44 AM

Why? The $9.99 HDPack was a valid HD package when he got his receiver.

HD enabling fee was introduced on 2/1/2006, maybe if he had the package before then already activated on a 211.

I replaced an 811 with a 622 and was charged the fee even though I had the HDPak

#62 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:00 AM

HD enabling fee was introduced on 2/1/2006, maybe if he had the package before then already activated on a 211.

I replaced an 811 with a 622 and was charged the fee even though I had the HDPak

I made an error in dates in the original post mentioning this ... corrected here:

There was a brief time that one could get a 411 (ViP-211) and subscribe to HDPack for $9.99 (Nov or Dec 20065 through Jan 31, 20076). It is also possible that subscribers upgraded MPEG2 HD equipment to MPEG4 without changing packages.

I had a friend I was using as a "test" for this. He has a ViP-211 and still subscribed to the $9.99 HDPack. He finally caved in a couple of months ago and paid the penny more for a modern HD pack. He was not asked or forced by DISH to make that change. He was VERY happy from Feb 20076 through Feb 2008 to not have to pay for Voom. The few HDPack channels were enough for him ...

Apparently because he didn't upgrade after February 1st, 2006, DISH never charged him the $7 fee? In any case, there was no attempt by DISH to force him to upgrade ... even though he waited until the last months of "MPEG2".

I kinda wish he had kept the HDPack just to see when DISH would have forced him off. :)

#63 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:36 AM

Still can't figure out how I'm affected. My bill reads:

Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak $94.98
GoldHD with Platinum HD $20.00

I understand the AEP will increase $3.00 but can't figure out what the HD will do.

#64 OFFLINE   ch3

ch3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:29 AM

Still a little less expensive to pay annually, at lease for AT100 (new Classic Bronze) than for Dish DVR Advantage 100 (unless DDA is also available annually, though I don't think it is):

Annual: $32.0833 ($385 per year/12) + $5.98 (DVR Fee) + $5.99 (Locals) = $44.0533
(Yea, they get an extra $.99 for locals this way and the locals can't be annual)

DDA 100 = $44.99 ($.9467 more expensive, or $11.24 per year).

Ok, I admit that this isn't much and you don't have to pay a huge chunk at one time, which is probably difficult for many people.

However, since my annual renewal date is January 25 (6 days before the increase), I will get last year's AT100 price of $363 per year, so

Annual: $30.25 ($363/12) + $5.98 (DVR Fee) + $5.99 (Locals) = $42.22

I won't see the increase to $34.99 in Classic Bronze until January 2010 (and I assume just before the next increase).

#65 OFFLINE   butters

butters

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:34 AM

I am having trouble understanding the whole own vs lease thing and how either is any different. Is there any advantage owning vs leasing? Isn't the receiver fee the same?

Also, am I correct that if I were to upgrade to two 222 receivers, I could do the DVR thing with an external drive for $39.99 one time fee and never pay a monthly DVR charge?

What I am thinking of doing would be upgrading from two 322 receivers (AT 200 /w locals) to two 222 receivers and adding the HD package for $10.00. Then I would get a couple external drives and pay the $39.99 DVR fee and be done with it. From what I understand I would be paying $10 more for HD and $2 more for the extra receiver (I already pay $5 for the 2nd 322) for a net increase of $12 (not including the $3 price increase and any receiver upgrade costs). Does this make sense?

#66 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

Still can't figure out how I'm affected. My bill reads:

Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak $94.98
GoldHD with Platinum HD $20.00

I understand the AEP will increase $3.00 but can't figure out what the HD will do.

There will be no change to HD prices as an add on to SD.
Your bill will go up $3 for the AEP increase ... that's it.

#67 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:54 AM

There will be no change to HD prices as an add on to SD.
Your bill will go up $3 for the AEP increase ... that's it.

Thanks, James. I had kind of expected about $3 increase this year. Still cheaper than our local Comcast, and they don't offer Chicago HD locals in our area. They get HD networks from another area and I don't think they have CBS or CW in HD yet.

#68 OFFLINE   Taco Lover

Taco Lover

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:21 AM

I am new to this site but work for a retailer and thought I'd help clarify this. Let's say you downgrade tonight. Your next bill, unless the bill has already been printed, will have a $7 HD receiver enabling fee. If your January bill has already been printed, then you would see the $7 charge on the subsequent bill (remember Dish bills one month inadvance).

Essentially you will pay the $7 enabling fee, likely for only one bill, until the Feb 1st rate change takes effect and then your monthly enabling fee will automatically drop to $5 per month. Until you 1) decide to reactivate an HD package or 2) drop the HD receiver from your account, or replace it with a SD unit, you will see the $5 HD enabling fee on your bill.

PS: Depending what channels you like to watch you may be better off downgrading to the Turbo HD Bronze w/locals for $39.99;) .

Hope this helps!

Thanks. I would go for a HD Only pack, but the wife absolutely needs HNN to watch Nancy Grace. :rolleyes:

#69 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:02 AM

Well, I cut back on a premium to mitigate the 15% price increase on Dish Advantage...I'll wait for the next round of new HD and decide what to cut after that.
I did confirm that Dish Advantage is not available for annual billing
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#70 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:52 PM

At least the Dish Family package didn't raise. $3 packages increases are just ridiculous and it just makes the service become more and more unaffordable. Five years from now are the packages going to be $15 higher??? They are already too expensive now. Why did the Turbo HD packages increase so much?? That is the most unbelievable increase.

HBO for $15.99??? That is unbelievable especially when they don't even have HBO Zone.

#71 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,787 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:36 AM

HBO Zone is available in HD. DISH has it.

#72 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:56 AM

I am having trouble understanding the whole own vs lease thing and how either is any different. Is there any advantage owning vs leasing? Isn't the receiver fee the same?

That is correct, it costs exactly the same monthly to have leased versus owned equipment.

Also, am I correct that if I were to upgrade to two 222 receivers, I could do the DVR thing with an external drive for $39.99 one time fee and never pay a monthly DVR charge?

That feature is not currently available on the 222. Only on the 211/211k/411.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#73 OFFLINE   Link

Link

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:41 AM

HBO Zone is available in HD. DISH has it.

I thought there was one HBO they didn't have...maybe not. I don't think they carry all the Cinemax or Showtime channels.

#74 OFFLINE   kb7oeb

kb7oeb

Icon

• Registered
  • 631 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:33 AM

The only reason to own is if you want to subscribe to Premiums or internationals without a base package that qualifies for a lease.

#75 OFFLINE   Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:49 AM

The only reason to own is if you want to subscribe to Premiums or internationals without a base package that qualifies for a lease.

Or if all you want is locals only and or one of the two Welcome Packs. :)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...