Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Feb 1 Rate increase!

• Please log in to reply
263 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,190 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

I think the main reason that the don't talk much about them is because you have to either own your equipment or be out of contract to be eligible for them.

The DISH NOW! non-contract prepaid card accounts have similar rules and it is promoted on the website.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   rbgator95

rbgator95

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:17 PM

Also the "no HD" fee is dropping from $7 to $5.

hmm... as I was on the eve of adding HD silver, thinking it would be $10 per month vice $7. But this drop is certain?

#43 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,190 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

hmm... as I was on the eve of adding HD silver, thinking it would be $10 per month vice $7. But this drop is certain?

Yes.

If one does not subscribe to a HD package there is a $7 fee ... in February that fee will be $5. I suppose that makes the jump between $5 for nothing (except OTA) to $10 for 25+ channels more of a consideration. More people would want to save $5 than save $3.

#44 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,070 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

Yes.

Owned receivers are billed as an additional receiver fee of $5 for SD or $7 for HD.
Leased receivers are billed the same amount as a "lease fee" with no outlet fee.

I don't see the increases as too bad ... last year we had $2/$3 increases for all the AT packages. The DishDVR Advantage packages were price guaranteed for the past two years so what appears to be big jumps is really a two year increase catching up with what normal customers are paying. I expect that they will once again be price guaranteed (through 2011).

The big hit is on the TurboHD packages ... DISH probably should have just introduced the packages at the new prices instead of doing an increase. They could have done an "introductory offer" through February at a reduced price but a jump a few months after introduction does look bad.

But for most customers we're talking a $3 increase. Even AEP customer (with or without HD) are only going to see a $3 increase.
BTW: HBO and Playboy last increased in 2006 ... the other three premiums last increased in 2007 and are staying the same.

BTW: I have the increases in chart form available here -
http://jameslong.name/feb2009.html

My only other complaint about the price increase is why DISH always seems to go first! DirecTV and cable companies will have their increases. DISH just seems to take an extra hit by announcing theirs early.

That's not too bad. Actually I expected to see slightly higher prices with the recssion.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#45 OFFLINE   kal915

kal915

Icon

• Registered
  • 324 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

No new HD channels
Higher prices
D* will have lower prices for Spanish packs now
Dish customer since 2000.
Dish Latino Max with PBEE
HD Essentials
HBO, Cinemax, STARZ

#46 OFFLINE   b315653

b315653

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:18 PM

DishDVR Advantage is the base package PLUS locals PLUS one DVR fee ...
$47.99 + $5.00 + $5.98 = $58.97 ... the package saves you $0.98

When introduced in 2007 the package also saved people $0.98 - but there is a price guarantee in place so in 2008 when non Advantage customers saw an increase DishDVR advantage customers had a $3.98 or $5.98 discount. I expect we'll see another price guarantee starting in February ... but even without it, you're saving nearly a dollar.

Thanks for that explanation. Wayne

#47 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

Looks loke there DVR box fees are getting to be almost as high as some of the cable DVR box fees.

#48 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,190 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:00 PM

Looks loke there DVR box fees are getting to be almost as high as some of the cable DVR box fees.

:confused:

There is no increase ... in fact, what has been announced is a discount for DVRAdvantage customers (98¢ less than today's cost for a 2nd DVR).

#49 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,292 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:10 PM

If the SDs not in HD are not worth $18 it is a decent way to save money.

Thanks for running through my situation.

If I could save $1 by eliminating access to the "Win $1 Zillion by finding a potential spouse who will lose weight turning him/herself into the next great runway model while dealing with 18 kids and singing and dancing" type shows, I would.

But because I'm a nut for scripted TV, I don't want to get along without FX, AMC and BBCA. I'm looking forward to this Spring's "Breaking Bad" and next Fall's "Mad Men" or the miniseries "The Prisoner" on AMC; January's return of "Damages" or the whenever-but-soon return of "Rescue Me" on FX; and BBCA's "Torchwood", "Primeval" and any new drama or comedy programming.

As broadcast networks like NBC cut down hours of scripted programming, one has to take when one can get from wherever, even if its only in SD.

#50 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:13 PM

What is a real big problem for me would to be paying for a service I don't receive. $ 7 not to get HD on a HD box? This almost seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. These kind of Lease fees and pay for a box you do not own is what got DirectV into a lawsuit.

#51 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:15 PM

Amen to that!

This will get me to the top of the S list.....

Maybe the new FCC commissioner will finally mandate a la carte and the rest of us can stop subsidizing ESPN viewers.

**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#52 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,190 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:23 PM

What is a real big problem for me would to be paying for a service I don't receive. $ 7 not to get HD on a HD box? This almost seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. These kind of Lease fees and pay for a box you do not own is what got DirectV into a lawsuit.

Then don't pay.

The $7 (soon to be $5) fee IS for a service ... the ability to use a HD receiver without paying for a more expensive HD package. The "No HD Fee" doesn't disable HD on the receiver. And DISH doesn't charge it in situations (such as Eastern arc SD) where DISH requires you to have a MPEG4 receiver.

#53 OFFLINE   Dave

Dave

Icon

• Registered
  • 864 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:06 PM

Perhaps Dish should go to the business model that DirectV is going to. One kind of capable receiver for all without the extra charge. DirectV is going to all HD capable receivers with no extra charge for no HD content. I was considering going back to Dish. But with all the extra charges for not having a service with a certain box because it is HD capable does not make a whole lot of sense. It is just not reasonable to pay for a service or channels you do not get, because you have a box capable of receiving them. Perhaps Dish will need to rethink there way of doing business in the near future. Or perhaps they could and should lose business because of this mentality or way of adding extra cost to the customer for no service. I guess if the public lets them get away with it, more power to Dish for ripping the people off. This is my opinion, but perhaps more people will step back and think about it.

#54 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

For the first year (Feb 2007-Feb 2008) DVR Advantage was also a 98¢ discount. Then the normal Feb 2008 price increases came and DVR Advantage didn't change (it was price guaranteed). For the past year it has saved people $3.98 to $5.98.

Perhaps 98¢ per DVR isn't a savings now but it will be if they price guarantee again.

I'm trying to follow, but having a 'senior moment', and just want to make sure I understand before I disconnect the locals. We own 2 receivers (1 old std, 1 old 508 DVR) and just leased a 612. All are active

I have the DVRAdvantage program and have been considering dropping my locals because I can get a great picture now from even rabbit ears (and pick up several local stations not offered by Dish). If I drop them would the net effect only be a few cents (because I'd lose the 'savings' built into the Advantage program)?

If it's not much of a difference I may just keep them as I camp often and sometimes am in areas where I couldn't get the locals OTA

#55 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,190 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

But with all the extra charges for not having a service with a certain box because it is HD capable does not make a whole lot of sense.

There is only an extra charge if YOU make DISH make an extra investment in you. There is no reason for DISH to provide a new ViP receiver to customers who could use a 510 or 522 DVR or 311 322 non-DVR. The new receivers need to go to customers who NEED them - and as noted above, DISH does provide MPEG4 receivers without the "fee" to customers that need them to receive service.

Once again, as stated before, you would NOT be paying extra for "not having" a service. You would be paying extra for the additional features that receiver DOES provide. Perhaps that service is of little value to you ... if so don't get the receiver.

#56 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,190 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

I'm trying to follow, but having a 'senior moment'. We own 2 receivers (1 old std, 1 old 508 DVR) and just leased a 612. All are active

I have the DVRAdvantage program and have been considering dropping my locals because I can get a great picture now from even rabbit ears. If I drop them would the net effect only be a few cents (because I'd lose the 'savings' built into the Advantage program)?

I would not recommended dropping locals as you would lose the guide data for the OTA channels you receive on the 612 (and the ability to record locals on the 508).

As far as the math goes - (assuming the AT200 level but the compare is the same)
DDA AT200 (inc/locals & 1 DVR) $57.99 + 2 SD Receiver "outlets" (no DVR fee on a 508) $10.00 = $67.99
AT200 (no locals) $47.99 + DVR Fee (612) $5.98 + 2 SD Receiver "outlets" (no DVR fee on a 508) $10.00 = $63.97

Seems that the $4.02 for the locals/EPG would be worth it. YMMV.

#57 OFFLINE   Taco Lover

Taco Lover

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:37 PM

Do these price changes take effect automatically for those not locked into a price? (or is no one locked in?)

With my recent layoff (and especially since what we have will go up $8/mo) we already decided to downgrade to the Family Pack, but keep the 722 for local channels. So I don't have to wait until Feb 1 to get the HD Enable for $5, right? It should go from $7 to $5 automatically?

So it'll be $19.99 for Family, $5 for locals, $5.98 DVR fee, and $5 Enabling fee = $35.97?

#58 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,190 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:56 PM

All new prices mentioned are effective February 1st.

#59 OFFLINE   Taco Lover

Taco Lover

Icon

• Registered
  • 719 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:33 PM

All new prices mentioned are effective February 1st.

I understand that. But if I downgrade and get the enabling fee at $7, does it go down to $5 on the 1st or am I locked in somehow?

#60 OFFLINE   ediblebeats

ediblebeats

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

I understand that. But if I downgrade and get the enabling fee at $7, does it go down to $5 on the 1st or am I locked in somehow?

I am new to this site but work for a retailer and thought I'd help clarify this. Let's say you downgrade tonight. Your next bill, unless the bill has already been printed, will have a $7 HD receiver enabling fee. If your January bill has already been printed, then you would see the $7 charge on the subsequent bill (remember Dish bills one month inadvance).

Essentially you will pay the $7 enabling fee, likely for only one bill, until the Feb 1st rate change takes effect and then your monthly enabling fee will automatically drop to $5 per month. Until you 1) decide to reactivate an HD package or 2) drop the HD receiver from your account, or replace it with a SD unit, you will see the $5 HD enabling fee on your bill.

PS: Depending what channels you like to watch you may be better off downgrading to the Turbo HD Bronze w/locals for $39.99;) .

Hope this helps!

spam firewall