Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Anybody waiting for Dolby Volume

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   difficultrun

difficultrun

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:18 PM

I've heard Dolby Volume is coming out next month in several AV receivers. Is anybody thinking about buying one of the receivers -- I've heard they're going to be pretty expensive? Do you think the technology will make a difference and is it worth the cost?

thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 10,838 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:28 PM

I am moving this to the "Tech Talk" forum.

#3 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

i see no difference between this and 'dynamic range control' that most receivers have had built-in for years.

on my H/K receiver its called "night mode".

#4 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,439 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:19 PM

Here's a link to a description of the Harmon Kardon AVR 7550HD, the first receiver to sport Dolby Volume. Certainly NOT cheap!

http://www.dolby.com...man-kardon.html

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#5 OFFLINE   difficultrun

difficultrun

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:40 PM

i see no difference between this and 'dynamic range control' that most receivers have had built-in for years.

on my H/K receiver its called "night mode".

Thanks Brant. I'm in the market to add an audio system and was hoping to wait until Dolby Volume was available and the price dropped a little bit. However, maybe I should pull the trigger and look for something much cheaper with dynamic range control. Does it work well at eliminating the volume spikes on the annoying commercials?

thanks again.

#6 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 08:27 PM

it works fine for me.

its basically just a normalizer, and there are two or three different levels of it on my receiver.

its not as fancy as dolby volume is described to be, but certainly less expensive than those new receivers.

#7 OFFLINE   The Scotsman

The Scotsman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:27 AM

According to Dolby.com and some learned members of this forum, Dolby Digital Plus could be implemented on some existing D* receivers seamlessly. Those who have advanced AVRs could enjoy DD+ 5.1 sound with enhanced resolution if HDMI is used. Even 7.1 is possible with movies that were made with a 7.1 sound track. Legacy DD 5.1 uses less bandwidth, so D* wouldn't have to find extra space for it in the transmission.

I tried to stir up interest in DD+ in this forum a few months back, but at least half of the responses were negative, even hostile. As I understand it, some current D* receivers could be updated to DD+ capability by a firmware or software update.

spam firewall