Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

XM Sirius 70's on 7 playing music speeded up (not tempo)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:17 AM

http://boards.radio-...c,115149.0.html

Post 1 from that forum:

For the last two days, I swear that some of the songs they play on 70's on 7 sound sightly speeded up. Not the tempo, just the beat. Since the music channels don't play commercials, I am wondering why they would do this. I am very sensitive to pitch and speed, and it's very annoying. Anyone else notice this? Perhaps my radio is flipping out?

#2 OFFLINE   jal

jal

Icon

• Registered
  • 761 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:48 AM

The link doesn't work

#3 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 07:49 AM

The link works just click on it.

#4 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:08 AM

Not for me.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#5 OFFLINE   robmadden1

robmadden1

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

Edited my first post.

#6 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

I don't normally listen to this channel. But I will give it a listen for a while and then get back to you and let you know what I think.

EDIT: Man that didn't take long. The first song I heard was the last of a Herb Albert song. I was a fan of his, but was not that familiar with the song they were playing. And, of course, there were no words to hear on the instrumental song. But next up came Carole King's Jazzman and I was a huge fan of Carole King and loved the song Jazzman. You and the poster you linked to are correct. It was faster. Why they would do that I don't know?

#7 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:23 AM

I don't know if the satellite channel is really doing this or not, but it was common for radio stations to do it in the 1970s to sound more lively than the competition.

Nowdays it can be done digitally and keep the pitch normal, which couldn't be done 30 years ago.

#8 OFFLINE   Richard King

Richard King

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 21,331 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:08 AM

I suspect that radio was speeding things up so that they could cram in more advertising in any given hour. Lexicon developed a product (the Lexicon 1200 Time Compressor) that was aimed to do the same in the television market. With this box they could speed up a movie or television show and "gain" three minutes of programming time in every hour.
The Pump Don't Work 'cause the Vandals Took the Handles.

#9 OFFLINE   Hardin Thicke

Hardin Thicke

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:04 AM

Another thing that obvious to me with these particular channels is they often don't air the original cut, but a re-recorded track, perhaps one that is in stereo as opposed to the original monaural version. This irks me to no end, and I've email them several time regarding it. It apparently falls on deaf ears.

#10 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:32 AM

95.5 WPLJ in NYC is notorius for this.I 1st noticed that in the mid 90s

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#11 OFFLINE   DJConan

DJConan

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

My dual CD player I used for DJing has the ability to speed up the beat w/o raising the pitch. It's very easy to do. Why they might be doing that is the question I guess.

#12 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

My dual CD player I used for DJing has the ability to speed up the beat w/o raising the pitch. It's very easy to do. Why they might be doing that is the question I guess.

Well they certainly don't need the time to run ads. I hope when I next listen all will be back to normal. I heard a song yesterday on the 70's on 7 of the Jackson Five and it was so fast they almost sounded like the original Alvin and the Chipmunks--for those of us old enough to remember the original Alvin and the Chipmunks :D :lol:

#13 OFFLINE   DJConan

DJConan

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

Well they certainly don't need the time to run ads. I hope when I next listen all will be back to normal. I heard a song yesterday on the 70's on 7 of the Jackson Five and it was so fast they almost sounded like the original Alvin and the Chipmunks--for those of us old enough to remember the original Alvin and the Chipmunks :D :lol:

From my reply in another thread, I was going to mention that I used to play my LP 33 of the Chipmunks at 78. lol Pure entertainment to a child. :lol:

#14 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

From my reply in another thread, I was going to mention that I used to play my LP 33 of the Chipmunks at 78. lol Pure entertainment to a child. :lol:

My idea of entertainment would have been to have played the Chipmunks at 45 :lol: Now why didn't I think of that back then :rolleyes:

#15 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:35 AM

None of the stations I worked for did it to add commercials--they would just throw out songs for that.

It was always done to speed up the tempo and make the song sound "draggy" on the competitors.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#16 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

I used to work for a radio station and we would get our music from satellite on weekends. the national DJ's would cut local inserts with the call letters to make it sound local. they gave a 3 minute window where you could insert a local commercial break. if you didn't the satellite would play a 3 minute song. often they would have to speed up the song to fit 3 minute window.

I have no idea why sirius would do this.

#17 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 06:56 PM

I used to work for a radio station and we would get our music from satellite on weekends. the national DJ's would cut local inserts with the call letters to make it sound local. they gave a 3 minute window where you could insert a local commercial break. if you didn't the satellite would play a 3 minute song. often they would have to speed up the song to fit 3 minute window.

I have no idea why sirius would do this.

:lol: This thread has been a real education to me because I had no idea anything like this could be done. But whatever happened everything is back to normal now :)

#18 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,612 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 30 December 2008 - 08:23 PM

It's called positive pitch, and they did it to get more ads in. I'm guessing SiriusXM is going for the true 70' Top 40 AM sound. I hate that the Decades channels went from playing all music genres from a decade to Top 40, although the play list seems to have loosend up in the last week.

#19 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:54 PM

It's called positive pitch, and they did it to get more ads in. I'm guessing SiriusXM is going for the true 70' Top 40 AM sound. I hate that the Decades channels went from playing all music genres from a decade to Top 40, although the play list seems to have loosend up in the last week.

I think things will get better with Sirius XM, if only people will give them a chance. And not keep cancelling which will only hurt the chances of Sat. Radio being around. They had to make changes to try to keep the company afloat. But there have been signs that even with all the debt they are beginning to listen to their subs. They are bringing back a couple of channels already. If they could get the debt down, they could do even more I'm sure. The music alerts that some people were talking about seem to be coming back. Give them feedback by all means if you are unhappy, but please give them a chance to try to work off the debt.

#20 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:40 PM

http://boards.radio-...c,115149.0.html

Post 1 from that forum:

For the last two days, I swear that some of the songs they play on 70's on 7 sound sightly speeded up. Not the tempo, just the beat. Since the music channels don't play commercials, I am wondering why they would do this. I am very sensitive to pitch and speed, and it's very annoying. Anyone else notice this? Perhaps my radio is flipping out?

Can you explain better what you mean by speeded up? Tempo and beat mean the same thing, so I don't know what you mean when you say that tempo is speeded up but the beat isn't.

spam firewall