Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Can recorded programs be viewed after disconnect of DISH network?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GordonT

GordonT

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

I have a friend who currently has DISH, but is going to be switching to another provider. She has begun to archive the recordings from her DVR to DVD, but she wanted to know if will be able to continue to copy them to DVD after the DISH network is disconnected from her DVR.

I tried searching this forum, but was not able to zero in on any answers.

TV's:
Samsung HL-R5078W
Mitsubishi VS-50805
Vizio E371VA
Satellite Dish:
Slimline-3S(SWM)
Receivers:
2 HR24-500 0x6bd
H24-100 0x66d
H21-100 0x466d

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:55 AM

I have a friend who currently has DISH, but is going to be switching to another provider. She has begun to archive the recordings from her DVR to DVD, but she wanted to know if will be able to continue to copy them to DVD after the DISH network is disconnected from her DVR.

I tried searching this forum, but was not able to zero in on any answers.

When I switched to the 622, I still had the old receiver and I could watch programs that was on the DVR without it being connected to the sat.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#3 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

Yes you can still watch recordings off the DVR. I did it for a few days once when I moved and even though the DVR wasn't hooked up to a dish or receiving a signal my recordings were still there and I could watch them.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#4 OFFLINE   Calvin Carrigan

Calvin Carrigan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:29 PM

I wasn't able to do that for some reason.

#5 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:29 PM

You should be able to watch the recordings without a dish being attached. I had several DVR's tht got replaced. Before sending them back I recorded programs off those unit's HD's with just an OTA antenna attached.

I'm willing to bet you had the subscription shut off while still attached to a dish. The trick to keeping your recordings is to physically disconnect the dish before calling in a disconnect/swap.

If that is the case you will have to turn the subscription back on in order to reactivate the DVR.

BTW: I do not find it unethical to do this as the recordings were made while the receiver was legally subscribed. Since you are not receiving any satellite-delivered channels it's not illegal either. You could use the DVR as an OTA receiver (assumuing this was an HD model with a built-in ATSC tuner). The only problem is that the DVR will not have the correct date or time or any EPG data. But you would still be able to watch the previously recorded DVR recordings as well as live OTA channels.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#6 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:40 PM

All I had to do is turn on the receiver, which of course immediately goes to the "searching for the signal screen" when you're disconnected, and hit my DVR button on my remote twice and it took me right to my list of recordings.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...