Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Poor install... DPP44 issue and question

mobiles

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MikeHou

MikeHou

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:57 AM

Current config is a Dish 1000+, a 322 rcvr and a vip622.

I'm adding a VIP222 and dish installer came out yesterday to set everything up. He decided to use a DPP44 switch rather than change the dish since I'm maxed on this one with 2 dual tuners. He says he had to replace the 110 lnb to do this, and when he was finished, none of the receivers are getting anything from 110. Check switch fails on that lnb. He tried changing LNB, the dpp44, multiple swaps of each, to no avail. He says he's got signal for all 3 at the dpp44, but none of the TVs get 110. Waiting for his supervisor to come back now to check out.

Questions:
  • Was it necessary to replace the 110 lnb? This was less than a year old as all lnbs were replaced by dish earlier this year.
  • Any ideas on what could cause this? Doesn't seem likely that all the dpp44 switches he had were faulty

Overall I'm pretty disappointed in this install. I know dish doesn't supply cables, but this is the first install I've done where installer didn't supply it. Not only that, he offered to sell me an HDMI cable for $20. Also, I thought that install included one "thru wall" location. He thought he might have to punch a hole from my attic to a dist panel below and said it would be an extra $80 (turns out he didn't need to do this).

I called dish this morning to see when they are coming back, and they tell me the installer closed the work order (even though I didn't sign anything when he left). As it stands now, his supervisor won't be back till tomorrow to finish up.

Anyway, I've had nothing but good experiences on prior installs, so I guess the odds were against me on this one.

Finally, the dist panel in my house is a crappy little hole in the wall, so this dpp44 pretty much won't fit. It is currently laying on a shelf in the closet where the panel is located. I'm going to look at enlarging it over the holidays, so wondering if anybody can point me to a web site with parts and/or ideas for this.

TIA and Merry Christmas to all.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DNSFSS

DNSFSS

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:03 PM

Current config is a Dish 1000+, a 322 rcvr and a vip622.

I'm adding a VIP222 and dish installer came out yesterday to set everything up. He decided to use a DPP44 switch rather than change the dish since I'm maxed on this one with 2 dual tuners. He says he had to replace the 110 lnb to do this, and when he was finished, none of the receivers are getting anything from 110. Check switch fails on that lnb. He tried changing LNB, the dpp44, multiple swaps of each, to no avail. He says he's got signal for all 3 at the dpp44, but none of the TVs get 110. Waiting for his supervisor to come back now to check out.

Questions:

• Was it necessary to replace the 110 lnb? This was less than a year old as all lnbs were replaced by dish earlier this year.
  • Any ideas on what could cause this? Doesn't seem likely that all the dpp44 switches he had were faulty

Overall I'm pretty disappointed in this install. I know dish doesn't supply cables, but this is the first install I've done where installer didn't supply it. Not only that, he offered to sell me an HDMI cable for $20. Also, I thought that install included one "thru wall" location. He thought he might have to punch a hole from my attic to a dist panel below and said it would be an extra $80 (turns out he didn't need to do this).

I called dish this morning to see when they are coming back, and they tell me the installer closed the work order (even though I didn't sign anything when he left). As it stands now, his supervisor won't be back till tomorrow to finish up.

Anyway, I've had nothing but good experiences on prior installs, so I guess the odds were against me on this one.

Finally, the dist panel in my house is a crappy little hole in the wall, so this dpp44 pretty much won't fit. It is currently laying on a shelf in the closet where the panel is located. I'm going to look at enlarging it over the holidays, so wondering if anybody can point me to a web site with parts and/or ideas for this.

TIA and Merry Christmas to all.

We don't use the 1000+ dish antennae here, but doesn't it have 3 DPP outputs+one orbital input? You should be able to run all 3 dual tuners. DPP44 (or DPP33) do not work well with DPP lnb's. Whenever I use a switch, I always hook up DP Duals and try to avoid as many switches as possible.
Please note that none of my opinions here are necessarily the opinion of my employer (DISH Network) or of Echostar Holdings Corporation (EHC). For these opinions, please visit DishNetwork.com or Echostar.com.

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:47 PM

The dish could not be a Dish 1000+, or you'd have already had a 44 switch. You must have had an original 1000 to have only 2 outputs. A 1000 dish typically has a DishProPlus Twin and a DishPro Dual LNB.

Posted Image

Ideally, the DPP Twin would be replaced with 2 more DP Duals. That removes the redundant multiswitch in the DPP Twin, which would only add unneeded complexity and draw more power for no reason.

Anyway, the installer could have had a bad LNB or a bad switch. I'm sure it will get resolved tomorrow.

#4 OFFLINE   Super New Mexico Tech

Super New Mexico Tech

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

If you use a 1000.2 dish with a integrated triple LNB, (it has 3 outputs for 3 dual tuner receivers). You wouldn't need the DPP 44, and you wouldn't need a to make you're hole larger. If you really have a 1000+ dish it would need the DPP 44. The 110 LNB will be the one on the right as you're looking towred the "EYES".

#5 OFFLINE   MikeHou

MikeHou

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:18 PM

My apologies; it is the original Dish 1000 that supports two lines out. For some reason I thought that was 1000+. The picture is exactly what I had. I haven't looked closely at the LNBs, so not sure if he swapped the DP Twin for DP Duals (maybe that's what he meant when he said he replaced 110).

I have no doubt this will be fixed, just want to understand what's going on with it.

Question for installers: Am I within my rights to request a 1000.2 dish over the dpp44 or is that the installers decision?

As for the hole in the wall, I'd like to make it bigger anyway, but if the dpp44 is complicating things, I'd like to get it out. I'm also not real keen on the power inserter that's now sitting behind the vip222.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:32 PM

Dish normally charges customers $200 for a DPP44 switch, and it's their top-of-the-line, providing 4 DPP outputs, which can run 4 dual-tuner receivers.

You can ask to have your dish replaced with a 1000.2, unless you need your HD locals from 61.5, which may be the case (not sure the config in Houston), but you'll lose the ability to add a 4th receiver down the road. And if you do add the 4th receiver later, you WILL have to buy the DPP44 at that time.

IMO, if they're giving it to you now, I'd keep it.

#7 OFFLINE   MikeHou

MikeHou

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

Actually, the HD locals come from 110; easily noticed now that they are gone! :)

I get most of the other HDs from 129; no 61.5 here.

I had thought it might be best to keep the switch. I'll have to read up on it to see if I can power it at the switch rather than thru the line. Don't really like that brick sitting behind the 222.

#8 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

You can relocate the power inserter, but the "brick" isn't weatherized and must be kept away from moisture. It must also be able to breathe, as it generates heat.

The power inserter must be connected to the first (left-most) output on the switch.

#9 OFFLINE   MikeHou

MikeHou

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 09:50 AM

Wanted to close this out with the solution. The original installer's supervisor came out last week, and discovered the problem was that the pin on the 110 cable into the dpp44 was a bit short and not making good contact. He remade the cable end and problem was solved.

An additional tidbit on this; I discovered after the original installer left that he took the TV2 remote with him. I assume he planned on selling this to some future customer and since this was a new vip222k, extra remotes are in short supply still. Told the super about this, he called his office and they told me i had to call Dish to resolve. So installer got their extra remote, and I got mine about a week late.

Still looking for ideas on organizing the distribution panel; I'll make new post on that.

spam firewall