Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cost of service move without Movers Connection?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mortimer

mortimer

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:27 PM

Looks like I am going to have to move, after having used the Movers Connection already back in May. I understand that you can only use Movers Connection once every 12 months, and I'm going to call to see if I can get around that restriction. Assuming I don't, is there a set price they'll charge me, or will I be charged based on # of drops, etc? Anyone know what an HD install with 4 DVRs is going to run me?
Living Room
HR21-700 HD DVR
Sony KDS-60A3000 60" LCD Rear Projection TV
TVIX 4100SH HD Media Receiver

Master Bedroom
HR20-700 HD DVR
Dell 24" LCD monitor

Man Cave
H21 HD Receiver
50" Toshiba HD RPTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

$200, fixed cost. Obviously, any custom work or mounts required will be extra, as always.

#3 OFFLINE   mortimer

mortimer

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:01 PM

Excellent. Probably worth it vs. buying my own dish/multiswitch and trying to install it myself :)
Living Room
HR21-700 HD DVR
Sony KDS-60A3000 60" LCD Rear Projection TV
TVIX 4100SH HD Media Receiver

Master Bedroom
HR20-700 HD DVR
Dell 24" LCD monitor

Man Cave
H21 HD Receiver
50" Toshiba HD RPTV

#4 OFFLINE   lamotte

lamotte

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:18 PM

when i called them to move mine 3 weeks ago i was told the $200.00 figure also but i told them i thought that was high and told the agent i was thinking that $100.00 would be more fair. i was put on hold for about 4 minutes while we talked to a supervisor and told that was fine with them .

i had a heart cath done earlier that week and there was no way in hell that i would be moving my dish if my wife had anything to say about this. the other good thing to come was they were able to come the very next day which happened to be saturday between 8 to 12. they arrived at 11:58 with only 2 minutes to spare

#5 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

And if you've been a good customer for awhile, with many advanced features/packages, good payment history, you very well might get some credits to offset a good chunk of the cost.

Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#6 OFFLINE   bb37

bb37

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:56 AM

I understand that a Movers Connection move restarts your 24-month commitment clock, right?

If you pay for the move yourself, the clock is not restarted, right?

Let's assume that I do most of the install (mount the dish, run the cable, etc.) myself. What's the typical charge to have a tech come out to handle the final aiming if I can't get it aimed myself (assume a Slimline 5 LNB dish)?

#7 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 25 December 2008 - 09:02 AM

I understand that a Movers Connection move restarts your 24-month commitment clock, right?

I sure wouldn't think it should be if D* isn't subsidizing the cost. Anyone who negotiates some credits or other goodies to their accounts may want to make sure that doesn't reset the commitment clock if that's a concern.

#8 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:01 AM

Let's assume that I do most of the install (mount the dish, run the cable, etc.) myself. What's the typical charge to have a tech come out to handle the final aiming if I can't get it aimed myself (assume a Slimline 5 LNB dish)?

movers does not reset the agreement unless you get new equipment like new rcvrs
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#9 OFFLINE   clb4g9

clb4g9

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

If you can get the dish on a post or mounted with a plumb mast, I can just about guarantee you that you will have the technical/mechanical know-how to get the thing aligned pretty well.....assuming you can lug a TV and receiver out to where you are aligning it. Just go slow and read directions that are in the dish installation manual (available for download at solidsignal).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...