Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Parents need new receiver... some newb questions ahead

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ironfist

ironfist

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

Hi all - I have a few questions I hope you can help me with. I've looked over some internet FAQs and I'm trying to get a handle on what I'm looking for.

My sister and I bought my parents a Dish Network subscription in late 1999. They got a model 2700 (I think) receiver and a dish, which my father and I installed ourselves. It continues to work well to this day, although early this year someone came out and replaced the dish on the house because the original one was not capable of receiving all the channels in the new package my parents had subscribed to. I was not aware that there was an upgrade to the dishes done within recent years, so that's how out of the loop I am.

Anyway, it's time for a new receiver. While the old 2700 still works, the newer ones would be an improvement at least for the guide. The old guide blocks all picture and sound, and gives a very simple two-color interface. I've seen some of the newer Dish Network receivers, and their guides allow you to watch your current show in a small pane while you browse the listings. Besides, all the printing has worn off the old remote control, so if you haven't memorized the buttons you'd have no idea what anything does. I guess that's what almost 10 years of constant use will do. I could get them a new remote, but it would be just as cost effective to get a new 301 or 311 receiver.

Questions -
Will the picture be improved with a new receiver?

I noticed that receivers used to be made by a few companies (RCA, Philips, JVC, etc), but now all I see are the ones offered through Dish Network. Do they make all their own receivers now, or at least control their production and design?

I've noticed that Dish Network charges you a monthly fee if you have a DVR, yet some eBay auctions for used receivers state "this was the last Dish Network DVR that didn't require you to pay an extra monthly fee." What's that all about?

Is buying a used receiver a good idea? I've heard that some have balances left on them and won't be activated unless the balance is paid up, regardless if you ran it up or not. Is this true?

How hard would it be to swap an old 2700 receiver with a new one?

I've talked with my parents, and they want something that's simple and easy to use. They never record, so they said no to a DVR. I guess something single tuner with no DVR is in order. What would you recommend?

Is high-definition worth the extra money? They just bought a Sony Bravia 40" LCD (1080p). They are able to pull in their local hi-def stations through a rooftop antenna.

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

Only way to improve the pq is with various connections. With a 2700 the best would be via an s-video, second would be via composite (red white yellow), third and most probably what your parents have is rf via a coax cable. If would want better pq, an HD receiver with HD programing along with an HD TV.
Dish requires an dvr fee, but it is waived on models 501 and 508. It can also be waived on one receiver if you subscribe to the dvr advantage 250 package or on all receivers with the all everything package.
If you buy a used receiver and there is a balance due on it, you do become responsible for it. You can ask for the receiver and smart card numbers from the seller and check with Dish Network before you buy it.
Swapping the 2700 with a single tuner receiver would be no problem, swapping for a dual tuner requires use of a DPP Separator should you have DishProPlus lnb's/switches or another coax run from the lnb/switch to the receiver.
A 301 receiver would be a good replacement.
HD is worth it if you want the quality and are willing to pay for it. Since you can view your locals in HD, you should be able to see the difference.

#3 OFFLINE   ironfist

ironfist

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

Thank you for the advice. I'll talk more with my parents and see what they decide to do. I know right now they're still using the RF output on their 2700 and turning their TV to channel 3, which is the lowest quality transmission option. I need to get them to realize that the days of the television having one and only one input (a single female F connector in the back) are over. I have a myriad of cables at my place, so I'll bring an S-Video cable and a dual RCA cable for audio the next time I visit.

Does the 311 have any advantages over the 301 or vice versa? I know the 301 is much less expensive right now, I assume due to it being an older model.

I wonder why the non-high definition receivers don't have component outputs. I know a lot of other non-high defnition devices have component outputs, like my standard DVD player.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

With a new Sony HDTV, watching SD is going to be painful. SD is okay on a small analog TV, but LOUSY on a big digital one. Nothing is ever going to make SD look good on a big HDTV.

Under the circumstances, I'd recommend they upgraded to HD and a ViP211, which is a single-tuner HD receiver. Once they get comfortable with it, you could always buy a USB external hard drive, pay the one-time $39 fee, and turn it into a single-tuner DVR, if they change their mind down the road.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:30 PM

I wonder why the non-high definition receivers don't have component outputs. I know a lot of other non-high defnition devices have component outputs, like my standard DVD player.

Component is only needed for resolutions/formats over 480i, which is what SDTV is. While DVDs are standard-def, they can actually output in 480p, but this requires an "HD-capable" connection, such as component or HDMI.

(Non-HD) Dish receivers are SD/480i only, so they'd not benefit from component outputs.

#6 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:50 PM

For right now - just moving them from RF to S-video should help - but the best answer is an HD DBS receiver with appropriate HD programming. I can see the S-Video difference on my 32 inch LCD HDTV.

As far as OTA - it should blow the SD DBS totally out of the water if their locals are passing HDTV. Even upconverted SDTV is better than DBS IMO.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#7 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:11 AM

They should be able to upgrade through Dishin it up propbably $50 for a 612 DVR they will need an upgrade to a HD dish and about $20/Mo. for programming costs (HD sub. & DVR fees). As long as they upgraded to a HDTV they should have a receiver with matching capabilities. The DVR will operate the same as a 2700 with buttons in the same place just some additional features they don't have to use but a programming guide that goes for a week instead of a couple hours.

#8 OFFLINE   ironfist

ironfist

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:44 AM

.Under the circumstances, I'd recommend they upgraded to HD and a ViP211, which is a single-tuner HD receiver. Once they get comfortable with it, you could always buy a USB external hard drive, pay the one-time $39 fee, and turn it into a single-tuner DVR, if they change their mind down the road.

I think this is the road I'll take. A quick search tells me you can buy NOS ViP211k receivers for $169. Would my parents need to upgrade their rooftop dish in order to receiver HI-DEF broadcasting?

#9 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,739 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 24 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

Probably.

Also - you may as well get the OTA tuner for it as well.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:34 PM

Would my parents need to upgrade their rooftop dish in order to receiver HI-DEF broadcasting?

Yes, they'd need to see a 3rd satellite. Note that a Dish'n It Up lease upgrade should cost a lot less than buying the receiver outright, and there's virtually no advantage to owning the receiver, except that you have to agree to a 2 year commitment to lease. Leasing will also get them the dish upgrade for cheap/free.

#11 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:57 PM

The 211k has an OTA tuner built-in. It's the dual-tuner "k" models that have OTA as an option.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

Protected By... spam firewall...And...