Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Book: Digital Television at Home: Satellite, Cable and Over-the-Air

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:43 PM

DBSTalk and Y1D books releases "Digital Television: Satellite, Cable and Over-the-Air"

For immediate release

Digital Television: Satellite, Cable and Over-the-Air provides the technical details and big picture on how modern TV and video technologies work and can best be exploited.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/098099151X

What's all the hype about digital TV? What's the difference between satellite and cable TV, and how does each differ from terrestrial digital and analog? In collaboration with DBSTalk.com and AVSForum.com, two of the web's most prominent sites for home entertainment professionals and aficionados, this book answers these questions.

Renowned science author Gregory Dudek tackles these issues in his new book Digital Television at Home: Satellite, Cable and Over-the-Air (312 pp., tpb, $28.95), a guide and handbook to the digital TV revolution. Dudek's book is aimed at those comfortable with high tech and not only explains the basic technologies, but also delves into some of the technical details. In fact, digital television is essentially a computer-based technology and Dudek, as a computer scientist, starts out gently but eventually provides enough hard-core details for even the most avid home entertainment enthusiast.

Using digital television involves selecting, or combining, receivers for either satellite-based transmission, cable TV, or over-the-air terrestrial broadcast. Each of these technologies has specific advantages and sends information in different formats. By selecting appropriate technologies, many viewers can receiver dozens, and perhaps hundreds, of stations for legally and free.

Whether it is a matter of choosing between a dipole antenna and a more expensive compound antenna, or understanding the various data encryption systems used to protect programming, this book provides the information. While the author has the technical background to get into obscure details, he generally avoids this in favor or an approach that starts from the basics.

Many people are confused by the abundance of television options that have appeared with the transition to digital broadcasting, or what digital broadcasting even means. This book tries to explain what those options are, how they work, and what there relative advantages are. Several of the chapters are targeted to people with a very limited awareness of television and video technologies. Once that background is covered, there are a couple of rather technical chapters for the home-hacker type that wants to really understand the technical subtleties and perhaps set up a home computer to allow it to receive programming.

Dr. Ioannis Rekleitis, space scientist from the Canadian Space Agency and image-processing expert, says "Dudek's book gets to the hard-core details and puts the user in control of the transition to digital."

Gregory Dudek is a researcher and chaired professor at McGill University. His research normally deals with robotics, image processing and computer vision. He is also co-author of Computational Principles of Mobile Robotics (Cambridge University Press) and a large number of technical and scientific publications.

More information can be found on the book's web page at http://www.y1d.com/DTVbook and can be ordered also directly from Amazon...

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/098099151X

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   tfederov

tfederov

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:07 PM

Chris, this is awesome. Who from the team here was involved?
- Tony

SWiM16, H21-100, H23-600, H21-700 w/AM21, HR24-500, HR24-100 w/AM21, (3) HR20-700
All receivers networked via DECA
MediaShare using TVersity on Win 7 VM over Mac Snow Leopard

#3 ONLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,375 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

Chris thanks for the heads up! Like tfed said who from here was involved

JACK,

#4 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:22 PM

Very cool! I think I'll order me a copy! :)
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Drewg5

Drewg5

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:39 PM

I wonder if Santa can make a last minute add to my list ;)

My Junk

ATT Uverse

45" Sony

30" Visio web connected

#6 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,147 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:42 PM

Hello...

As far as "who was involved", the site was. :) More or less Gregory came to me about a year ago with the book in raw form. Some research was taken from this site but written from his vast knowledge of the subject. After reviewing the book, it was something I felt would be great for the readers here and agreed to promote it.

It is very well written and is both for the techey in us and the for general reader who just wants to understand more about the digital transmissions they receive.

Happy Holidays

#7 ONLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,375 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

Hello...

As far as "who was involved", the site was. :) More or less Gregory came to me about a year ago with the book in raw form. Some research was taken from this site but written from his vast knowledge of the subject. After reviewing the book, it was something I felt would be great for the readers here and agreed to promote it.

It is very well written and is both for the techey in us and the for general reader who just wants to understand more about the digital transmissions they receive.

Happy Holidays

Thanks I hope I can get it in my stocking

JACK,

#8 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,445 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

I just ordered it from Amazon for $21.13 with FREE shipping!
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#9 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

Looks interesting and like it could be a good read.

The cover is a bit 90s looking though :P
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#10 ONLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,888 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

thats pretty cool, i am going to order one as well.

#11 OFFLINE   Larry Kenney

Larry Kenney

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:16 AM

Sounds like a great book. I just ordered one through Amazon.com.

Larry
SF

#12 OFFLINE   runner26

runner26

Legend

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:33 PM

Sounds like a great book. I just ordered one through Amazon.com.

Larry
SF

Just ordered mine. Can't wiat, what I do not know about the new world of Tv would fill a lot of books. Hope you make a mint!

#13 OFFLINE   ironwood

ironwood

Icon

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:48 PM

Is that a must-have for DBStalkers?

#14 OFFLINE   ziggy29

ziggy29

Icon

• Registered
  • 691 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio DMA

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

Is there a difference between the $28.99 and the $21.13 offerings on Amazon (other than $7.86)?

#15 OFFLINE   FHSPSU67

FHSPSU67

CE'er & Retired Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,445 posts
  • LocationWindber, PA

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:44 AM

Is there a difference between the $28.99 and the $21.13 offerings on Amazon (other than $7.86)?

No. It's the same paperback version.
[edit] Now I'm beginning to wonder. One was published in April 2008 and the other just published this December 2008. Can anyone else confirm that there are no differences?
[edit 2]See Chris's explanation below.
Thanks Chris! I just switched:)
Fred
DIRECTV since November 1995
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler" A.Einstein

#16 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:20 AM

Got my book yesterday. Here are a few pics.

The $28 version of the book contains the DBSTalk brand.

Attached Thumbnails

• book1.jpg
  • book2.jpg
  • book3.jpg

#17 OFFLINE   Larry Kenney

Larry Kenney

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:43 AM

I received my copy of the book yesterday from Amazon - the $21.13 version without any reference to DBSTalk. I've read about a third of the book already and find it to be very interesting and very informative, but, the typos are killing me. Did anyone proofread the copy before it was printed?

Larry
SF

#18 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:31 PM

The $28 version of the book contains the DBSTalk brand.

So I hope DBSTalk gets a little "spiff" from that.

#19 OFFLINE   Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt

Your Neighborhood Liasion

• Registered
  • 12,527 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 06:29 PM

Just got mine today! :)
Mark Lamutt
markdl@dbstalk.com
Your DBSTalk.Com Community Liaison to Dish Network

#20 OFFLINE   satkinsn

satkinsn

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:39 PM

I've hacked my way through about a third of it so far, and am much impressed.

It's the perfect book for someone like me, who is not an engineer but is interested in the technical side of things.

Scott A.
Watertown NY

Protected By... spam firewall...And...