Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tv Tuner Card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bengal1

Bengal1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

What inexpensive Tv Tuner Card would you recommend to connect DTV box to home computer?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:32 PM

What inexpensive Tv Tuner Card would you recommend to connect DTV box to home computer?

for SD? hauppage WinTV
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#3 OFFLINE   Bengal1

Bengal1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:25 PM

for SD? hauppage WinTV

I called Hauppage about the HVR-850 and he said it wouldn`t work with DTV, it would only work with cable?

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:52 PM

There are a number of different models. I have the HVR-2250, which is a PCI-express x1 card. It is a hybrid card with 2 analog (NTSC) tuners, and 2 OTA (ATSC) or cable (ClearQAM) tuners. It also has two sets of line inputs, which are part of the analog section. You can run two analog and two digital inputs, of the same type, at the same time.

I currently use a DirecTV standard-def receiver on one of the analog line inputs, and use the two ATSC tuners for digital OTA.

You can also get the single-tuner versions: the HVR-1600 (PCI) and 1800 (PCIe). Each of these will do one analog and one digital.

If you want even easier and more basic, you can get a USB ATSC tuner. No analog in these, but some models do support QAM as well as ATSC.

#5 OFFLINE   dorfd1

dorfd1

Icon

• Registered
  • 963 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:44 PM

I called Hauppage about the HVR-850 and he said it wouldn`t work with DTV, it would only work with cable?

that is a lie I own the hvr 950 wich is similar but I can watch DIrectv on my laptop with it just by using the coxial cable.

the hvr 1600 1800 2250 have hardware encodes. the 850 and 950 do not.

#6 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:38 PM

I wanted an inexpensive tuner card as well, and I found one on eBay a couple years ago. I only paid about $20 for it new, as it was a generic card simply called "Easy TV Capture". Even though its generic and on the low end, it works really well as it's based on the Brooktree BT878 chipset.

You can find some on eBay.
Do you DVR?

spam firewall