Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pulp Fiction Blu Ray?

vip722

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,419 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:45 PM

I am trying to find this classic on Blu Ray and have seen other countries by not the US. Does anyone have any information on this puppy?
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,052 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:34 PM

Doesn't seem to be scheduled for release or at least I didn't see it.

However, you can get Beverly Hills Chihuahua in March. ;)

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#3 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,489 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 22 December 2008 - 11:26 PM

Doesn't appear to be on the schedule for 2009.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#4 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,419 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:58 AM

Thanks guys...this is the only movie I transitioned from VHS to DVD and will also transition to Blu Ray. I have three version of this one. If it came out several times on Blu Ray I would likely get them all too. In reflecting on this, I hadn't considered this my favorite movie, that is until now.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:24 AM

It's a great film that deserves a great restoration. I suspect you'll see a lot more catalog titles in '09 but most won't be worth the money as they'll be quick dupes off the DVD master, upsampled to 1080p.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,790 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:45 PM

I'll 2nd Stuart's sentiments on being careful. When DVD first got started there were some bad transfers then too... so just be wary on Blu rays of catalog titles when first released. My motto is to only consider blind-buy when I don't already own the DVD. For "upgrades" I've been waiting to see audio/video reviews from a few places online before I double-dip.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:23 PM

I suspect you'll see a lot more catalog titles in '09 but most won't be worth the money as they'll be quick dupes off the DVD master, upsampled to 1080p.

I doubt this. The fiasco with The Fifth Element proves that such a move would be roundly rejected. The studios are well aware that most of their customers already have a big library of DVDs, so they have to see some value in re-buying catalog titles on Blu-Ray. Without a real HD master, there's no point in buying Blu-Ray, and that title will lose money instead of make it.

Though Blu-Ray is *starting* to go mainstream, it's still a market mostly populated by enthusiests, and these days enthusiests are better educated and, thanks to the 'net, are able to communicate between each other much more easily. One bad review can easily be seen by 100,000 or more potential customers, and that will halt a title's sales quickly.

#8 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

No word in regards to a street date for Pulp Fiction on Blu-ray smiddy,but here is Miramax Films' page for the film.

http://miramax.com/pulp-fiction.html

EDIT: A note of interest for the Miramax link posted above.
If you move your mouse over to the "ON BLU-RAY HI-DEF & DVD" section on that page,a list is revealed,showing new releases and coming soon on Blu-ray and DVD.
Pulp Fiction Blu-ray is in the "Coming Soon" list. :)

Steve

#9 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

It's been released in the Scandinavian countries already. I received mine from Axel Music a few weeks ago and it's region free if you do imports. In Bruges is out in that area already as well and it's coming out in France and Austrailia in the next few weeks. I found an online Aussie store I pre ordered that from.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#10 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,042 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

I guess I have to beg to differ with you guys on this one....they'd have to pay me to take it off their hands (and alot of money) - this one made my "one of the 10 worst movies ever made" list.

I know it has a loyal "cult" following....but many of the folks who are in our movie group agree this movie ranks right up there with Get Shorty as pure crud.

But then...I'm sure it will look just super on Blu Ray for the Smidster. :D :lol:

To Stuart's point...2009 should see another major surge in catalog flicks, so I'd anticipate (there's that word again...) that you'll see it some time in the first half of the year.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#11 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,754 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:49 PM

No word in regards to a street date for Pulp Fiction on Blu-ray smiddy,but here is Miramax Films' page for the film.

http://miramax.com/pulp-fiction.html

EDIT: A note of interest for the Miramax link posted above.
If you move your mouse over to the "ON BLU-RAY HI-DEF & DVD" section on that page,a list is revealed,showing new releases and coming soon on Blu-ray and DVD.
Pulp Fiction Blu-ray is in the "Coming Soon" list. :)

According to this list, the release date is slated for August 4, 2009:

http://www.releaseli...rthAmerica.html
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#12 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:33 AM

I doubt this. The fiasco with The Fifth Element proves that such a move would be roundly rejected. The studios are well aware that most of their customers already have a big library of DVDs, so they have to see some value in re-buying catalog titles on Blu-Ray. Without a real HD master, there's no point in buying Blu-Ray, and that title will lose money instead of make it.

Though Blu-Ray is *starting* to go mainstream, it's still a market mostly populated by enthusiests, and these days enthusiests are better educated and, thanks to the 'net, are able to communicate between each other much more easily. One bad review can easily be seen by 100,000 or more potential customers, and that will halt a title's sales quickly.

Let us hope that you are right and I am wrong. I'm afraid that with so many new adopters to Blu-Ray this holiday season, there is a whole group who would buy "anything Blu-Ray" and will be burned again.

#13 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:33 AM

I love this movie, dont have blu-ray for now though so I will just wait anyways :P

I did catch it on one of the HD premiums on Directv and it was awesome in HD.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#14 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 10:36 AM

I know it has a loyal "cult" following....but many of the folks who are in our movie group agree this movie ranks right up there with Get Shorty as pure crud.

I am not saying you have to like it, everyone has their own opinion. But it is more than a cult movie IMO.

Cult movies are like Clerks, but Pulp Fiction had a huge cast of big names and a great director (Quentin Tarantino), not to even mention it was successful in the box office and nominated/won a lot of awards.
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#15 OFFLINE   xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:14 AM

would Natural Born Killers be considered a cult movie?
Here I am! Rock you like a Hadoken!!

#16 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

I guess wikipedia says Pulp Fiction is a cult film:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film

Some I guess just depend on peoples interpretation of what a cult film is.
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#17 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

would Natural Born Killers be considered a cult movie?

Then count me in the cult, as I think it is great.....
D* customer since 1997

#18 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,042 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:58 PM

I guess wikipedia says Pulp Fiction is a cult film:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult_film

Some I guess just depend on peoples interpretation of what a cult film is.

Not necessarily a bad thing...just a cult thing.

Without a real HD master, there's no point in buying Blu-Ray, and that title will lose money instead of make it.

Actually most commercial movies are shot in 35mm or other film, which supports a higher revolution than even Blu Ray provides....so your point is a non-issue. Any movie can be mastered in HD as long as the original resolution of the filmed media supports 1080p or higher.

Feel free to see Lawrence of Arabia (circa early 1960's) or other such classics on HD disks and prepare to be stunned as to how incredible they look. They never looked this good in theaters...never.

For this reason...seeing many catalog or other movies on Blu Ray is pretty much like seeing a new movie compared to any SD presentation. Most of the new releases, of course, are already in stunning 1080p.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#19 OFFLINE   xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:35 PM

so what's the next step from 1080p?
Here I am! Rock you like a Hadoken!!

#20 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

For displays, 2160p/120. A 2160p display can show 1080p and 720p programming with no artifacts because it just uses 2 pixels for each 1080p pixel and 3 for each 720p pixel. The 120 means 120hz refresh, meaning that it can show 60Hz (regular TV) and 24hz (film) with no translation (2 frames for 60, 5 frames for 24)

For broadcast or media, I don't see anything coming down for a while. That would be a heck of a bitrate, I'd guess about 120Mbit unless they figure out how to compress it further.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vip722

Protected By... spam firewall...And...