Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pulp Fiction Blu Ray?

vip722

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:46 PM

Not necessarily a bad thing...just a cult thing.
Actually most commercial movies are shot in 35mm or other film, which supports a higher revolution than even Blu Ray provides....so your point is a non-issue. Any movie can be mastered in HD as long as the original resolution of the filmed media supports 1080p or higher.

Context, man, context. :eek2:

I was responding to Stuart who was/is afraid that the studios will cheap-out on some of their catalog releases and use the crappy DVD digital master (upscaled in some cases) instead of making a new HD master from the original source.

I'm very well aware that film resolution is a bit over 4k, vs 1k for a finalized Blu-Ray (1920x1080). Most Blu-Ray masters are 4k, with some being 2k (and looking bad enough that they are being redone, as The Fifth Element was), and a fraction being 8k. DVD masters were mostly 1k. Technically, that "should be enough" for HD, or at least, that's what the studios were hoping when they made them 7-8 years ago, but in reality, it isn't. Now, they're having to go back and spend more money to make HD masters at 4k at least.

None of us wants the studios trying to pawn off 1k DVD masters as valid Blu-Ray masters.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,301 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:25 PM

For displays, 2160p/120. A 2160p display can show 1080p and 720p programming with no artifacts because it just uses 2 pixels for each 1080p pixel and 3 for each 720p pixel. The 120 means 120hz refresh, meaning that it can show 60Hz (regular TV) and 24hz (film) with no translation (2 frames for 60, 5 frames for 24)

For broadcast or media, I don't see anything coming down for a while. That would be a heck of a bitrate, I'd guess about 120Mbit unless they figure out how to compress it further.

I wonder does a 3240p screen do it even better. ;)

On your other point, DVD transfers and all, I think Miramax is taking their time releasing tis one stateside due to several items, but one is due to the hugeness of this film. They want to do it just right.

To hdtvfan0001, :P This is not a cult film, it is however a classic in that when it was produced film was in an Avant-garde period, this film pushed several boundaries, especially in using foreshadowing in a film with multiple time lines. I have seen another version of it with all the time lines in the right sequence which does take away from the storyline, the foreshadowing in this movie makes it so astounding and pragmatic!

Steve, thanks! I was on there site and hadn't noticed the mouse-over. Good catch!

I forever await SOON, as it is coming. :D
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#23 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

Actually most commercial movies are shot in 35mm or other film, which supports a higher revolution than even Blu Ray provides....so your point is a non-issue. Any movie can be mastered in HD as long as the original resolution of the filmed media supports 1080p or higher.

Feel free to see Lawrence of Arabia (circa early 1960's) or other such classics on HD disks and prepare to be stunned as to how incredible they look. They never looked this good in theaters...never.

For this reason...seeing many catalog or other movies on Blu Ray is pretty much like seeing a new movie compared to any SD presentation. Most of the new releases, of course, are already in stunning 1080p.

It is insane looking at old movies now shown in HD. One reason I love MGMHD as they show a lot of older movies that just look stunning in HD.

They still have an older feel to them, but everything is very clear and distinct. Very neat IMO.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#24 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,800 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:07 PM

None of us wants the studios trying to pawn off 1k DVD masters as valid Blu-Ray masters.

Agreed ...and that has already been done on a few Blu Rays.....it can be seen immediately (inferior imagery).

To hdtvfan0001, :P This is not a cult film, it is however a classic in that when it was produced film was in an Avant-garde period, this film pushed several boundaries, especially in using foreshadowing in a film with multiple time lines. I have seen another version of it with all the time lines in the right sequence which does take away from the storyline, the foreshadowing in this movie makes it so astounding and pragmatic!

Naaahhhh...check Wikepedia...its a cult flick. But since you like it, its a nice cult flick. :D

It is insane looking at old movies now shown in HD. One reason I love MGMHD as they show a lot of older movies that just look stunning in HD.

They still have an older feel to them, but everything is very clear and distinct. Very neat IMO.

Yup....Casablanca and Young Frankenstein are even in B&W...and yet look stunning on Blu Ray HD as well.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#25 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,301 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:43 AM

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=2242

Enjoy!
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith