Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Has anyone seen "The Day the Earth Stood Still"?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

The original was a classic indeed. I'm thinking of going tomorrow with a buddy to see the new one out now, but I heard rumors that the storyline is a tad different and goes the route of some environmentalist or left-wing rant about humans destroying our own planet.

When I see a movie for fun and entertainment, I don't want ANY left-wing OR right-wing politicization in it. I sure hope this one doesn't go down that road.

Anyone have any comments about this movie if you've seen it?

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   steelhorse

steelhorse

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:15 AM

I saw it over the weekend. The original was better and the storyline does go on a tree hugger rant.

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,908 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 08:15 AM

Mr. Vader, I think you'll be disappointed with the remake, and if you want less politics with your movies, this one isn't for you.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   rhambling

rhambling

Godfather

• Registered
  • 347 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:18 AM

i wasted my money on the imax version.

SWMline-5 ODU
Winegard SS-2000 OTA
Samsung LN-T4042h 40" LCD
HR21-100 & AM-21[hdmi][wired][ups]
Samsung DVD-1080P7[YPbPr]
Xbox 360[hdmi][wired]
Yamaha RX-V363 AVR
Linksys WRT54G [Hyperwrt 2.1b1 + Thibor15c]

#5 OFFLINE   ibglowin

ibglowin

Godfather/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:26 AM

Saw it. Own the Original.

Redbox it. It will prolly be out by Easter.....
Mike

"I always wanted to be a scientist, and now I are one."

#6 OFFLINE   rrcrosby

rrcrosby

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

We saw saw it last week and really enjoyed it. Not an Oscar movie but well done.

#7 OFFLINE   xIsamuTM

xIsamuTM

Icon

• Registered
  • 567 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:55 AM

there's a carneciera near my house where you can buy it for 5.00
Here I am! Rock you like a Hadoken!!

#8 OFFLINE   mhendrixsr

mhendrixsr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:34 AM

Saw it the day it opened and own the original in BD. I liked the new effects and the better tech but at the end I felt I was left hanging. I also enjoyed Mr. Reeves alien performance. At least the original had a constructive message that was clearly illustrated... this one just ended and I was left wondering about the purpose of the visit. It wasn't like the original where at least the scientific community was informed. Didn't even know what happened to Gort... did he make it back to the ship or was he stuck in the hole that seemed to be ready for him? I realize the producer said he didn't really try for a message but it would have been nice to get a little more information. At least my BD disc of the original came with a free ticket to this one.
DTV HR24-500
DTV HR21Pro w/AM21
DTV HR20-700 DVR (all networked via DECA)
Slimline 5 Dish w/SWM-8
Pioneer PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display
Toshiba REGZA LCD Displays (37" & 32")
Oppo BDP-83 BD/Universal Player/Sony PS3 BD Player
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD Player/AppleTV
Pioneer DVL-909 LD Player w/tons of LD's
Pioneer Elite SC-27 A/V Rcvr

#9 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

i wasted my money on the imax version.

And it's playing in IMAX at the theater next door to my town.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#10 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:38 AM

Mr. Vader, I think you'll be disappointed with the remake, and if you want less politics with your movies, this one isn't for you.

So should I see Quantum of Solace instead? :D

#11 OFFLINE   bigshew

bigshew

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 01:09 PM

I was really disappointed in the new version. A big part of the original movie was the idea that the robot Gort was given absolute power to destroy life. Now, he has little to do and is literally reduced to an acronym.

To satisfy the title of the movie a few scenes of machines and technology not working are just inserted with no explanation. You'd think with a title "The Day the Earth Stood Still" there'd be more attention spent on that part.

I did like the opening sequence. It had the right amount of information and tension.

#12 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:37 PM

Well, IF IT DOESN'T STOP SNOWING maybe my going will be moot anyway.

Personally, I'm curious to see Valkyrie, the Tom Cruise Nazi flick. Being a student of history myself, that interests me, even though I just can't see Tom Cruise in a role like that. We'll see.

#13 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:01 PM

I am a major fan of the original it being in my top 25 favorite movies. The 2008 version is not getting good reviews and barely moves the Tomato Meter so I suspected my trepidation about it being a major insult to the original would be confirmed. Anyway, I walked into the movie house trying my best to maintain an open mind. I was pleasantly surprised.

Contrary to reports of a slow start, the suspense built intensely as the government assembled a team of experts anticipating arrival of the space traveler. Yes, it's true Klaatu's here with an agenda to exterminate the human race before we poison the planet. But it's not clear why they would care. I suspect they require a pristine planet for scientific experimentation. The ending makes some sense but somehow leaves something to be desired.

On the production:

The casting is nowhere near a poor as reported; the much maligned Keanu Reeves is effective as Klaatu, Jennifer Connelly as Helen is a competent astrobiologist and Will Smith's son, somewhat bratty, isn't as annoying as reported. John Cleese as Professor Barnhardt doesn't really rekindle any memories of Monty Python.

The cinematography is quite good. The scenes are interestingly filmed much in a Spielberg style and the special effects exceeded my expectations.

I didn't take this as a go green or else but I'm really not into messages from Hollywood. All considered, one of the better SCI-FI remakes of recent history.

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#14 OFFLINE   HIPAR

HIPAR

Icon

• Registered
  • 749 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:10 PM

I was really disappointed in the new version. A big part of the original movie was the idea that the robot Gort was given absolute power to destroy life. Now, he has little to do and is literally reduced to an acronym.

To satisfy the title of the movie a few scenes of machines and technology not working are just inserted with no explanation. You'd think with a title "The Day the Earth Stood Still" there'd be more attention spent on that part.

I did like the opening sequence. It had the right amount of information and tension.

Actually GORT is the instrument of civilization's destruction .. but he's no going to do this through incineration. And note how Klaatu rendered our planet polluting technologies as he departed.

--- CHAS
But I don't want to go among mad people

#15 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,494 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

Well, IF IT DOESN'T STOP SNOWING maybe my going will be moot anyway.

Personally, I'm curious to see Valkyrie, the Tom Cruise Nazi flick. Being a student of history myself, that interests me, even though I just can't see Tom Cruise in a role like that. We'll see.

Cruise got clobbered by critics on this one. I'm gonna pass on it.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#16 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

I'll probably still go see it. A movie can still be good even if one of its lead actors is terrible in the role. I just can't see Cruise in this type of role. He seems too hip and modern and therefore not believable enough, for such a role.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...