Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Yanks, Teixeira agree on 8-year deal

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:15 PM

They REALLY make it easy for people to hate them......

http://newyork.yanke...t=.jsp&c_id=nyy
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 23 December 2008 - 03:57 PM

I wonder now if they can still afford those .25 cent seats now during spring training ?

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#3 OFFLINE   ARKDTVfan

ARKDTVfan

Icon

• Registered
  • 584 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

0-162 would still be too good a record for those spend happy scumbags
baseball has a real bad economics problem

#4 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

I wonder now if they can still afford those .25 cent seats now during spring training ?

Ah but there is of course a catch, Jimmy:

The New York Yankees said Tuesday that bleacher seats for the games against the Chicago Cubs on April 3 and 4 will sell for 25 cents and grandstand tickets will be $1.10. That matches the prices for the opener of the original Yankee Stadium against Boston on April 18, 1923.

Field level seats at the 52,325-seat ballpark will cost $45-$50, main level $20-$45 and terrace level $20-$35. Full season-ticket holders will get the seats for free, and those who bought partial season-tickets will be given a presale.

The new ballpark has 5,000 bleacher and 11,000 grandstand seats. Because season tickets still are being sold, the Yankees don't know how many of the low-priced tickets will be available for individual sale.

http://sports.espn.g...ce=MLBHeadlines
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#5 OFFLINE   CapeCodder

CapeCodder

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

They REALLY make it easy for people to hate them......

http://newyork.yanke...t=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Baseball and its incompetent commissioner have a real problem. If they don't get a handle, via either a salary cap or a tax for overspending that really have some bite, teams like KC, Minnesota, etc. will forever be relegated to near-minor-league status. Not to speak of the fans - who can afford those $2000 per game seats the Yanks are selling in the new stadium (retorical question, obviously someone can)? $250m for A-Rod, 180+ for Jeeter, 180+ for Tex, $170+ for Sabathia - it's crazy. I say, let's have congress hold hearings and offer a bailout to the small market teams in the interest of keeping them competitive and in business!

#6 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,442 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 03:30 PM

0-162 would still be too good a record for those spend happy [deleted]
baseball has a real bad economics problem

Baseball does have an economics problem, but at least the Yankee owners aren't lining their own pockets with riches like other club owners are. They're investing their profits back on the field.

That said, I find it embarrassing they can do this, and I detest Boras and the union for what they've apparently been able to do to successfully escalate salaries. As we saw in the A-Rod to Boston case a few years ago, the union will not allow a player to accept less money to play where they desire, even if the player is willing.

The NFL so has it right, IMO. I'm hopeful some day all sports leagues will have similar competitive balance. /steve
/steve

#7 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

Baseball and its incompetent commissioner have a real problem. If they don't get a handle, via either a salary cap or a tax for overspending that really have some bite, teams like KC, Minnesota, etc. will forever be relegated to near-minor-league status. Not to speak of the fans - who can afford those $2000 per game seats the Yanks are selling in the new stadium (retorical question, obviously someone can)? $250m for A-Rod, 180+ for Jeeter, 180+ for Tex, $170+ for Sabathia - it's crazy. I say, let's have congress hold hearings and offer a bailout to the small market teams in the interest of keeping them competitive and in business!

While I generally agree that sports stars are way over-rated and very definitely over paid thanks in no small part to teams like the Yankees, i'm not sure how much I agree with the whole "the smaller market teams just can't compete" rant & whine you always hear. I mean the Yankees always spend like there's no tomorrow and sometimes it works out for them, other times not so much. Meanwhile for example last year you have the Tampa Bay Rays, who's payroll was what? So spending all sorts of money isn't necessarily the answer. There's ways to put together a successful team with a smaller budget just as there's ways to put together a lousy team with a Yankee-sized budget.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#8 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,137 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:27 PM

I hope they still do not make the playoffs. I hate the Yankees

JACK,

#9 OFFLINE   Laker44

Laker44

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:44 AM

While I generally agree that sports stars are way over-rated and very definitely over paid thanks in no small part to teams like the Yankees, i'm not sure how much I agree with the whole "the smaller market teams just can't compete" rant & whine you always hear. I mean the Yankees always spend like there's no tomorrow and sometimes it works out for them, other times not so much. Meanwhile for example last year you have the Tampa Bay Rays, who's payroll was what? So spending all sorts of money isn't necessarily the answer. There's ways to put together a successful team with a smaller budget just as there's ways to put together a lousy team with a Yankee-sized budget.

That's correct do it the old fashion way...build from within and trade to fill the missing pieces.I don't buy the "small market"crap.Everyone of the owners are among the richest people in the country,but they choice not to but there money into improving the teams.

#10 OFFLINE   trowlison

trowlison

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

I think I read somewhere where the money saved on not resigning Andy Pettite, Bobby Abreu and especially letting Jason Giambi go has offset the majority of the cost in signing Sabathia, Burnett and now Teixeira. If that is true, why do the Yankees take the hit by the fans and the media for spending 423 million over the last few weeks? With the money saved the cost is not nearly that much. I am far from a Yankee lover, but common sense tells me, there is a ton of money being saved and they are spending it where they need it. Starting pitching and a big bat. Makes perfect sense, baseball wise and economically to me.

Of course it is just my two cents worth and go Chisox !!!

Merry Christmas to all !!!

#11 OFFLINE   jacestone40

jacestone40

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 02:30 PM

I think I read somewhere where the money saved on not resigning Andy Pettite, Bobby Abreu and especially letting Jason Giambi go has offset the majority of the cost in signing Sabathia, Burnett and now Teixeira. If that is true, why do the Yankees take the hit by the fans and the media for spending 423 million over the last few weeks? With the money saved the cost is not nearly that much. I am far from a Yankee lover, but common sense tells me, there is a ton of money being saved and they are spending it where they need it. Starting pitching and a big bat. Makes perfect sense, baseball wise and economically to me.

Everybody pisses and mourns about how the Yankees do this and the Yankees do that if you're a fan of the team you like to see the ownership doing what is needed to keep the team as a contender...and if you remember it wasn't the Yankees that originally paid A-Rod that outrageous amount it was the Texas Rangers

#12 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,723 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

The problem as far as I'm concerned is that the Yankees go spending all that money, and no I do not care about $88 million coming off the books. but to me the main problem is them spending all this money then having to go back to the City, State etc for MORE money for their already overpriced stadium. That's what galls me.
Dan Sholtis

#13 OFFLINE   trowlison

trowlison

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 06:35 PM

I think the key word is that they don't "have" to. It is that they "can" and they will do whatever they can to save a dime, to put it back into the team. If it means going to the city, county and state and having them help build a new stadium, they will.

It just appears to me, the general course of threads and sports talk shows are always pounding on the Yankees for putting money into the team. I understand the frustration of tax money being spent on a new stadium, while the owners are spending hundreds of millions on players. If the argument is more that why don't they lay off the free agents for awhile while they pay for the new stadium so the tax payers don't have to, I can understand that. But... to lay into them because they are trying to upgrade a poorly performing team, I don't.

If I was a Yankee fan, and they didn't try to buy the best free agents possible, I would be awfully ticked off. If they have the money and not put it back into the product on the field and try to improve there would be an outcry that the Steinbrenners are only in the game for the money. It has always appeared to me, they care more about trying to win than they do the money.

If they can save money by having the taxpayers help build the new stadium, and take the money and buy a Sabathia, Burnett or Teixiera they will. What's wrong with that? It is the business of baseball today. I think most new stadiums are built on the taxpayer dime anyway, and the Yankees are the most visible in the FA market, but other teams are also spending a lot of money while either playing in a new stadium or whining and crying they need a new one.

The Yankees are just a easy to team to hate. Love 'em or hate 'em they have been this way since the day George took over and will be until the day his great grand kids die. It reminds me of the year of the old Yankee Stadium remodel in the mid 70's. A few years later they go out and buy Reggie Jackson, while the remodel was still being payed for by the taxpayers, if memory serves. It's not the first time they have done this and it probably won't be the last.

I can see the Cubs doing something similar in the next few years. Wrigley Field is probably on her last leg, and money will be spent on a few big name free agents coming into a new ballpark. I seriously doubt if there will be the same outcry.

#14 OFFLINE   Steviek

Steviek

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

I'm not a Yankee fan, but I can't fault them for going out and spending money on free agents. They are playing within the rules and trying to better their team. Meanwhile you have cheap owners in Florida, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh and Kansas City doing nothing to improve their teams. Milwaukee and Pittsburgh even have brand spanking new stadiums that were mostly publicly funded and bring in extra revenue to the team, yet the owners still continue to cry poverty. Not to mention the "poorer" payroll teams also get a large share of luxury taxes paid by the likes of the Yankees, Angels, Cubs, Red Sox and other large payroll clubs. Yet instead of reinvesting those funds into their clubs, the owners line their own pockets.

#15 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 26 December 2008 - 08:33 AM

A salary cap, as much as I'd like to see one, won't solve MLB's problems - even the proposals that also include a salary 'floor'. I'll give you the number one reason why:

- A salary cap that curbs spending by the Yankees, Red Sox, Mets, Cubs, Dodgers and Angels does not put so much as a SINGLE PENNY into the checkbooks of the Royals, Pirates, Nationals, Marlins, Padres, Athletics, Reds or Brewers.

If a team says "I can't afford Manny", stopping the Yankees from buying him via a cap isn't going to mean that the Royals suddenly CAN afford him. It might curb the top price free-agents but it's not going to boost revenues for the lower teams. Only a 'socializing' of local TV revenues would do that. Otherwise, a salary cap would do nothing but allow all those Yankee revenues to go into Steinbrenner pockets. Which would you rather have? Hank & Co. buying free agents or lining their pockets?

#16 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 09:10 AM

There already is a tax. The Yankees just recently got a tax bill from that incompetent commissioner for $28M.........that's right, $28,000,000, which as a Met fan makes me shake my head.........but then again, they're only spending money from the revenue that they can generate. Remember, despite the spending, they haven't won it all since about 2001. That money in part is supposed to go to the lower revenue generating teams, but how can MLB control how that money is spent once those owners get the money.

How much has the world changed in about 40 years? My first Met game was in 1970 when my dad was hyperventilating because the upper deck seats he wanted to buy were $2.50 & then I recently read the top seat at Yankee Stadium version III will be $2500.00.

#17 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 02:39 PM

Until MLB institutes a salary cap, it's hard to take them seriously.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#18 Guest_hunter65_*

Guest_hunter65_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

The problem as far as I'm concerned is that the Yankees go spending all that money, and no I do not care about $88 million coming off the books. but to me the main problem is them spending all this money then having to go back to the City, State etc for MORE money for their already overpriced stadium. That's what galls me.

Every sports team who builds a stadium gets a deal from the city they play in. The Mets got money from the city too. It's called business.

#19 OFFLINE   Pepster

Pepster

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

Every sports team who builds a stadium gets a deal from the city they play in. The Mets got money from the city too. It's called business.

Remembering when George S. was threatening to go to New Jersey. Perhaps they should have been allowed to go after all.

#20 Guest_hunter65_*

Guest_hunter65_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2008 - 04:49 PM

Ya I remember, that's my point. It would have hurt NYC if they were to have left. It's just coffee money to the city(not to the tax payers though).

Edited by hunter65, 29 December 2008 - 07:37 PM.

spam firewall