Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A SWM New Year's Resolution

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

Either I make this my resolution, or I need to write it on my forehead, and it is:"When you're getting strange results in a SWM/multi-receiver environment, unplug ALL receivers and unplug (reset) the SWM; count to 100; then re-start the SWM and follow with one receiver at a time.

If I would only remember this at times when one receiver or another is mis-behaving in a strange way. It's the first thing to try, and I waste lots of hours "futzing" with an errant receiver. It just isn't that much extra work -- a trip or two downstairs for the SWM. On balance, it is time saved.

All I have to do is remember the resolution, and do it.

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

Slimline feeds an SWM-8, diplexed with an OTA Square Shooter SS2000, using a Sonora AD14 active diplexer, plus a Sonora LA141R amplifier and a 4-way splitter (3 used).
Results distributed to two H20 receivers plus an HR21-Pro feeding three Sharp Aquos LCD screens, the largest being a 57" unit. Diplexers used for all receivers to split off OTA signals. HR21-Pro has an AM21 OTA receiver, and feeds into a Sony STR DA5200ES receiver. Also connected is a Sony Blu Ray player.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   idigg

idigg

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 07:44 AM

Nice resolution Stanley :) I see you're in Milwaukee, what neighborhood? I'm in West Allis, and I just got a SWM LNB on eBay and I'm looking to install it when we don't have 15" of snow on the ground.

I looked, and I might just have to buy an extension ladder to *ARGH*
HR21-700
HR22-100
H21-100
---------
AM21 for sale $38 shipped (PM ME)

#3 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:11 PM

Nice resolution Stanley :) I see you're in Milwaukee, what neighborhood? I'm in West Allis, and I just got a SWM LNB on eBay and I'm looking to install it when we don't have 15" of snow on the ground.

I looked, and I might just have to buy an extension ladder to *ARGH*

I'm in River Hills -- a couple of miles west of the lake. My dish is on a very permanent steel fence post about 100' from the house. The cables (RG6 solid copper) go underground in PVC pipe into the basement, and after the ground block, go to my SWM-8. The (mostly) good news is that the dish is only six feet up in the air, so I can reach it to brush snow off. The bad part of it is that I have to put on high boots to get there 'cause, as you know, we're up to our whatevers in snow. I'd say I'm wading through two feet, more or less, but the signal strength is very good across the board, so my dish visits are rare.

All in all, I'm very happy with the set up, now that I realize that a SWM-8 reset is a must, on occasion.

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

Slimline feeds an SWM-8, diplexed with an OTA Square Shooter SS2000, using a Sonora AD14 active diplexer, plus a Sonora LA141R amplifier and a 4-way splitter (3 used).
Results distributed to two H20 receivers plus an HR21-Pro feeding three Sharp Aquos LCD screens, the largest being a 57" unit. Diplexers used for all receivers to split off OTA signals. HR21-Pro has an AM21 OTA receiver, and feeds into a Sony STR DA5200ES receiver. Also connected is a Sony Blu Ray player.

#4 OFFLINE   robq391

robq391

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:06 AM

Either I make this my resolution, or I need to write it on my forehead, and it is:"When you're getting strange results in a SWM/multi-receiver environment, unplug ALL receivers and unplug (reset) the SWM; count to 100; then re-start the SWM and follow with one receiver at a time.

If I would only remember this at times when one receiver or another is mis-behaving in a strange way. It's the first thing to try, and I waste lots of hours "futzing" with an errant receiver. It just isn't that much extra work -- a trip or two downstairs for the SWM. On balance, it is time saved.

All I have to do is remember the resolution, and do it.

Stan

Amen to that resolution! I have now made it my official New Year's resolution.

spam firewall