Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

illegal dish network rececption; FTA

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
37 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 10:13 PM

We have a handful of people here selling FTA systems w/ dish network programming.

basically the pitch is, "its in the air, it crosses your property, you have every right to receive and watch the channels without paying for them."

i have some customers who use these systems and have tried unsuccessfully to convince them its illegal.

the video distribution system i'm working on right now was supposed to be served by directv, but now someone is selling them on the fta dish network system.

i do my best to talk them out of it, citing the reprogramming the boxes need periodically and other things. but its hard to convince them its illegal when they've been told otherwise. for some reason, it just "makes sense" to people that a signal crossing their domain is rightfully theirs for the taking.

are there any articles for dish press releases that plainly say "this is illegal"?

thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,082 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

Federal law says its illegal to unscramble encoded transmissions, period. Call Dish and report them. Let Dish contact the Feds.

#3 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 970 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 27 December 2008 - 11:01 AM

As long as they keep the dish mounted next to the still, they'll prob'ly be OK ;).

#4 OFFLINE   FTAluvr

FTAluvr

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 06:36 PM

As long as they keep the dish mounted next to the still, they'll prob'ly be OK ;).

Or on the greenhouse for the -ahem- medicinal plants.:grin:

#5 OFFLINE   willc

willc

Mentor

• Banned User
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:33 PM

With all the new ads on the site looks like there are lots of ways to steal Dish Network. :(

#6 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 01:39 PM

I didnt realize that Dish had been hacked again.

Nothing good ever comes from it though, eventually they catch up and those involved in it get either in big trouble, or users get cheated on services they paid for that just stop working.
-Grentz
Subscriber since Oct. 1996
HR21-700, HR22-100, H24-100 (SWM)
~Detailed Setup~

Directv Signal Strength Posting Tool - Excel Ver. Web Ver.

#7 OFFLINE   bruin95

bruin95

Godfather

• Registered
  • 292 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 02:46 PM

What do mean "again"?

#8 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 03:55 PM

I mean back in the late 90s/early 00s it was popular hacking DirecTV and Dish, then they did upgrades that pretty much kicked them all out I thought (at least I know they did on the Directv side).
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#9 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

With all the new ads on the site looks like there are lots of ways to steal Dish Network. :(

If you see an ad for pirate equipment sales, take a screenshot or make a note of the seller's domain name, then let us know. On FTAList.com, I've got Google ads, and several pirates tried to advertise through Google before I blacklisted them.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:28 PM

Incredibly, Nagra sent the Nagra v2 code to an employee of NDS (DirecTV's security provider), who apparently released it. This resulted in a big lawsuit where Dish did such a bad job that despite winning, they were awarded a big $1500.00.

Anyway, as a result of that code getting out, people have been using FTA boxes with illegal ROMs to hack Dish signals for years. It's rampent, which is why Dish is issuing the new purple access cards and about to switch everything over to Nagra v3 in the next month or two.

As for the morons buying FTA systems to get Dish; they'll be locked out very soon, and without the source code for Nagra3, they'll find that hacking the system will be a whole lot more difficult, and most of those FTA boxes will effectively be bricks (to the people looking for free mainstream programming).

#11 OFFLINE   Grentz

Grentz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,916 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:34 PM

Incredibly, Nagra sent the Nagra v2 code to an employee of NDS (DirecTV's security provider), who apparently released it. This resulted in a big lawsuit where Dish did such a bad job that despite winning, they were awarded a big $1500.00.

Anyway, as a result of that code getting out, people have been using FTA boxes with illegal ROMs to hack Dish signals for years. It's rampent, which is why Dish is issuing the new purple access cards and about to switch everything over to Nagra v3 in the next month or two.

As for the morons buying FTA systems to get Dish; they'll be locked out very soon, and without the source code for Nagra3, they'll find that hacking the system will be a whole lot more difficult, and most of those FTA boxes will effectively be bricks (to the people looking for free mainstream programming).

Gotcha, now that you mention it I remember parts of that story but didn't know the whole thing.
-Grentz
~Detailed Setup~

#12 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

i know several people who've been watching dish illegally for years. i know of at least two "companies" here that sell illegal dish programming. they require you to purchase your own equipment elsewhere, but provide you with the codes by e-mail to put on a flash drive in the receiver.

#13 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

i know several people who've been watching dish illegally for years. i know of at least two "companies" here that sell illegal dish programming. they require you to purchase your own equipment elsewhere, but provide you with the codes by e-mail to put on a flash drive in the receiver.

Yeah. In other words, they are charging people for something that they don't make and that any of their customers could get themselves for free, by going to the same hacker sites that these guys go to.

Anyway, they'll be out of "business" soon. Nagra 3 is going to make a whole lot of "FTA receiver" owners very unhappy.

#14 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 09:08 PM

Yeah. In other words, they are charging people for something that they don't make and that any of their customers could get themselves for free, by going to the same hacker sites that these guys go to.

Anyway, they'll be out of "business" soon. Nagra 3 is going to make a whole lot of "FTA receiver" owners very unhappy.

i just went in search of articles about this i could send to some folks to persuade them to not steal.

unfortunately, what i found was people already saying they've cracked Nagra 3 or developed some type of workarounds.

I was reading on some of those FTA sites; Its amazing, yet completely disappointing, just how proud those people are to be thieves.

#15 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:24 AM

i just went in search of articles about this i could send to some folks to persuade them to not steal.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were really having trouble finding such stuff. A quick Google on "Dish sues pirate" yields:

NC Cable operator gets 14 months in federal prison: http://www.rockymoun...signal-pirates/

Dish sues FTA receiver distributor: http://www.multichan.../CA6462380.html

NY man gets 18 months, $308,000 bill: http://www.multichan.../CA6286421.html

Dig around further and you'll hear about satellite operators who nailed distributors, then took their customer lists and sent quiet "Send us a few $thousand or we'll sue it out of you" letters to everyone on the list. Ditto for pirate sites and their active members.

Not only is piracy bad karma, it carries a real chance of getting slapped hard. Life is a lot simpler if you pay for what you want.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#16 OFFLINE   BenJF3

BenJF3

Godfather

• Registered
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 07:05 AM

Truth is you could probably all but kill off most piracy if the programming fees were more reasonable or people could truly just buy the channels they wanted.. I agree it's not worth it to hack/steal the signal, but if there was no market for it then it wouldn't exist. Sure, you'd still have some, but not on a grand scale. Also, alot of these so called free TVer's are selling bogus stuff and ripping people off. To my knowledge, D* has been secure since about 05' and yet there are still thieves selling hacks and equipment online.
BAN the FCC!

#17 OFFLINE   brant

brant

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 750 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:13 AM

Truth is you could probably all but kill off most piracy if the programming fees were more reasonable or people could truly just buy the channels they wanted.. I agree it's not worth it to hack/steal the signal, but if there was no market for it then it wouldn't exist. Sure, you'd still have some, but not on a grand scale. Also, alot of these so called free TVer's are selling bogus stuff and ripping people off. To my knowledge, D* has been secure since about 05' and yet there are still thieves selling hacks and equipment online.

The cost of programming isn't that unreasonable. The problem is, people want what they cannot afford (hey, where've we seen that before? ;) ) and if they can't afford it, its obviously too expensive for everyone else also. Right?

A la carte programming sounds nice, but I'm not sure it would be feasible for the cable and satellite companies. If we all only paid a few bucks a month (less than $10) for just the couple of channels we want, that wouldn't be enough money for the cable/sat co's to operate.

#18 OFFLINE   ChrisPC

ChrisPC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:18 PM

I'm glad to see it. I remember when D* did that; I was glad then, too. I was about the only one I knew that actually paid for it. I knew installers and even law enforcement officers who had hacked cards. Of course, after D* fixed that, most of them went to hacked E* systems.

#19 OFFLINE   Kheldar

Kheldar

Icon

• Registered
  • 773 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

A la carte programming sounds nice, but I'm not sure it would be feasible for the cable and satellite companies. If we all only paid a few bucks a month (less than $10) for just the couple of channels we want, that wouldn't be enough money for the cable/sat co's to operate.

And since the companies would never recover the up-front equipment costs from customers paying "less than $10" per month, you could say goodbye to all of the free equipment deals. Part of the equipment cost is subsidized by the programming packages.
George Bernard Shaw: "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience." ;) :D

The 50-50-90 Rule: "Whenever you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there is a 90% probability that you will get it wrong." -- Unknown ;)

Heinlein's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

#20 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

unfortunately, what i found was people already saying they've cracked Nagra 3 or developed some type of workarounds.

That's BS, actually. What you're hearing is rumors coming around full-circle, based on people who don't know the difference. Nagra 2 wouldn't have been hacked except that the source code got released into the wild. And even then, the bi-weekly ROM updates haven't been exactly reliable, if you read all the posts from people about various things not working.

It cost Nagravision (and Dish) BIG money to be hacked, so it isn't likely that they'll make the same collossally stupid mistake again.

spam firewall