Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hot HR23

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   peevy

peevy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:21 AM

we recieved our first HR23-700 last week. I was installing the 3rd one from my van, which had just been taken from my van. The outside temperature was about 28 to 30 degrees and the HR23 was in the back of my van, so I am sure there was no direct heat close to it. When it booted up the screen said (Your Satellite box is over the temperature limit, maximum safe temp is 122,,,, internal temp is 491) Yeah, thats twice boiling. The HR23 had been updated as I update my receivers at home in my spare time. Has anyone seen this?? included is a screenshot.

Attached Thumbnails

• HOT DVR.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:27 AM

we recieved our first HR23-700 last week. I was installing the 3rd one from my van, which had just been taken from my van. The outside temperature was about 28 to 30 degrees and the HR23 was in the back of my van, so I am sure there was no direct heat close to it. When it booted up the screen said (Your Satellite box is over the temperature limit, maximum safe temp is 122,,,, internal temp is 491) Yeah, thats twice boiling. The HR23 had been updated as I update my receivers at home in my spare time. Has anyone seen this?? included is a screenshot.

Congratulations, that HR23 now has a shortened life span.

Memo's get sent out every year in late fall reminding techs to take receivers, especially DVRs out of the van and into the house to warm up before powering up. Basically what happened is the the temperature of the HD was outside of its operating specs, so it reported an out of range number.

Do yourself and your customers a favor, apply a little common sense and take the DVRs into the house as soon as you complete your walkthrough.
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#3 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:36 AM

Ouch, well hopefully there wasn't too much condensation buildup.

#4 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:37 AM

It sounds to me like the sensor has failed off-scale high (a mechanical issue due to the cold conditions) and the software is interpreting it as nearly 500 degrees. I presume it eventually returned to the normal range?

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#5 OFFLINE   RangerLG

RangerLG

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:51 AM

Is 122 the max temp? I did a test on my HR23 last night is said is was operating at 113. Is that normal?

#6 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 08:52 AM

It sounds to me like the sensor has failed off-scale high (a mechanical issue due to the cold conditions) and the software is interpreting it as nearly 500 degrees. I presume it eventually returned to the normal range?

Thermocouples don't play well outside their temp ranges.

Once it equalizes with the house it'll be fine.

Just a guess. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#7 OFFLINE   Flugelman

Flugelman

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:06 PM

Is 122 the max temp? I did a test on my HR23 last night is said is was operating at 113. Is that normal?

I've got the same question. New HR22-100 self installed today. Internal temp is steady at 115. :confused:

HR34-700

Vizio M321i-A2

Slimline SL3 SWM

#8 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,945 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:20 PM

I wouldn't worry about 113 or 115 at all. My HR20-700 typically runs at 127 F and my HR21-700 is typically around 116 F. Neither has exhibited any operational difficulties.

#9 OFFLINE   code4code5

code4code5

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:57 PM

I came home from church this afternoon and found that my HR21-100 is in a cooling cycle. It apparently got up to 149F, and won't seem to get any lower than 132F. I've had the receiver in an entertainment center with glass doors for two years, and it's never been an issue before.

I think I'll once again see the benefit in subscribing to the $5 monthly protection plan. Very cheap insurance, if you ask me.

spam firewall