Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD channels not coming in

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rickeame

rickeame

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:17 AM

I am in the Seattle area and we are having snow right now. I am able to receive a bunch of channels, but things like TOONHD are not coming in. I have removed all snow from the dish.

This is getting tiresome. I have had my dish aimed a billion times and if we get major rain or any snow, suddenly I lack channels.

Is that channel on a particularly weak sat?

In checking signal strength, I get 80's on 101, I get high 90's on 110, high 80's to 90's on 119, same for 99©, 99(s) is nada, 103(s) is nada, 103© is high 80's and 90's.

What should I be looking for?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:27 AM

Could be wrong here... but the weather falling ON you is not nearly as significant as what is falling to the south and southeast of you.. the sats are generally over Texas... and looking at the weather radar for your area you are getting slammed to the south and southeast so this could be having an effect on you...
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#3 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:31 AM

I am in the Seattle area and we are having snow right now. I am able to receive a bunch of channels, but things like TOONHD are not coming in. I have removed all snow from the dish.

This is getting tiresome. I have had my dish aimed a billion times and if we get major rain or any snow, suddenly I lack channels.

Is that channel on a particularly weak sat?

In checking signal strength, I get 80's on 101, I get high 90's on 110, high 80's to 90's on 119, same for 99©, 99(s) is nada, 103(s) is nada, 103© is high 80's and 90's.

What should I be looking for?

your signals seem ok. check channels 480 - 482
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#4 OFFLINE   rickeame

rickeame

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

So in looking at another thread, it turned out there is some common problem where you get an error on tuner 2 (771) and you have to reset your receiver.

This happens again, and I go back to comcast. I have swapped out enough DVR's and lost enough shows. The only thing that might save me is a really good tivo box. The software for DirecTV is awful.

#5 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,024 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

So in looking at another thread, it turned out there is some common problem where you get an error on tuner 2 (771) and you have to reset your receiver.

This happens again, and I go back to comcast. I have swapped out enough DVR's and lost enough shows. The only thing that might save me is a really good tivo box. The software for DirecTV is awful.

Sorry to hear about your experiences....but just so you know...many of us do NOT have the problems you reported, so its not a universal or "common" issue.

Since you provided very few details...it could be caused by a myriad of things, including a poor dish alignment, defective LNB, one poor cable or connector installation, a poor multiswitch, and last....a defective unit.

Perhaps you might want to call DirecTV to have someone check out your setup?
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#6 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 12:46 PM

Sorry to hear about your experiences....but just so you know...many of us do NOT have the problems you reported, so its not a universal or "common" issue.

It's not a pink elephant either. Far, far too many people are having far, far too similar of issues for it to be a non-existent issue. The all too common response to posters with these issues is "well I don't have that problem". That doesn't mean that they don't however, or that others don't.

I agree though, this issue is best handled by calling DirecTV to determine what the problem really is.

#7 OFFLINE   rickeame

rickeame

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 01:14 PM

We have had the installer out (and another one), and signal levels "look fine" to both of the guys who have come out. They have checked everything. I simply thing the dvr's we have gotten have been crap. Two HR21 Pros, and 1 HR21-700 that crapped out.

Silly.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...